Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

What is your 3rd gen average MPG?

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've noticed similar with the ACC even vs "regular" cruise control. I think part of the reason is that I've noticed with ACC more subtle acceleration/breaking when in traffic that I would normally do on my own, or even with regular cruise. if i get into traffic with cruise, on comes the brakes, then don't resume cruise till traffic clears, while ACC is constantly adapting, more often than i do.

I always have the car set to sport setting
That's what I was thinking too, ACC brakes or accelerates too frequently to maintain set speed whereas I would coast more to take advantage of downhills & traffic.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've also realized that if I turn OFF ACC (regular cruise) it stays in the OFF mode even after shutdown and restart. Basically back to just using the regular old fashioned decades old cruise.

One thing I have noticed, cruise keeps speed down on downhills, which normally charges the batteries, but remember, the rear motors disconnect at about 80mph, And with many (at least midwest) states having interstate limits of 80, on a long downhill, if cruise is at or above 80, the car will just downshift to hold down speed, drop cruise to 78 or so and it will charge the batteries till they are full before downshifting.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I've noticed the hybrid system completely shuts down at around 83-84 mph. No regen braking, no tq vectoring, or no recharge of the hybrid battery from the 3.0L engine. Becomes a fwd MDX around that speed. I've noticed that because the posted interstate speeds out west are usually 75 or 80 mph and I drive 5-7 mph above that. I still see hybrid functions when I set my ACC to 80 mph in Sport mode (battery varies between 1/3 and 2/3, it can top off on long down hills).

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
368 Posts
So the temps I'm seeing is like upper 80s lower 90s. I think I'm putting high expectations after driving 55k miles in an econobox that has a CVT and used like 8 gals for the same distance (250 miles) compared to the MDX's consumption of 12 to 14 gals. So far the highest I've seen was 28.5 and that's on the Turnpike with 95 being 2nd. I have to do another run on I-75 but this time doing 60 instead of speed limit.

Pretty sure I did 520 miles in 14.4 gals on that econobox, so what gives?
I am guessing you have AC on with temps around 80F. Having AC on is like driving with full load, MPG drops by at least 2mpg.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts
I am guessing you have AC on with temps around 80F. Having AC on is like driving with full load, MPG drops by at least 2mpg.
I do run the AC especially when I'm in Miami or have passengers in the vehicle.

But I think I understand my issue of sucky MPGs. Literally I-95 and I-75 ain't helping one bit, but this forces me to drive on FL turnpike. The North bound of Turnpike today yielded me the following (look at attached pic).

From Exit 70 to exit 267 doing 60 MPH with AC & Fan at speed 1.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
368 Posts

But I think I understand my issue of sucky MPGs. Literally I-95 and I-75 ain't helping one bit, but this forces me to drive on FL turnpike. The North bound of Turnpike today yielded me the following (look at attached pic).

Hahaha, may be make you feel happy.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts
Hahaha, may be make you feel happy.
What would actually make me happy would be seeing the actual calculations done by hand to show a fuel tank averaged an MPG of at least 30 MPG. This recent one was like 27.08 MPG. Highest my MDX saw was 28.5 MPG on hand calculation.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts
Is there a setting to customize the color on this screen and settings screens? Mine is blue while yours is red, I've tried looking through settings but didn't see anything that jumped out at me

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Yes you can. I believe its in the system settings. I will have to check the settings to give a better answer.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Is there a setting to customize the color on this screen and settings screens? Mine is blue while yours is red, I've tried looking through settings but didn't see anything that jumped out at me

For 2014-2017 models, the background colors can be set to Blue, Amber, Red, or Green.
2018-2020 models have a new head unit with AA/CP capability, but there is no ability to change colors.

·
Registered
688 Posts
For 2014-2017 models, the background colors can be set to Blue, Amber, Red, or Green.
2018-2020 models have a new head unit with AA/CP capability, but there is no ability to change colors.
Thanks for that, I looked everywhere that would have been a logical place to pit it and suspected maybe the red color was exclusive to the aspec but didn't realize it only was an option until 2018. That explains why i couldn't find it in my 2019

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Thanks for that, I looked everywhere that would have been a logical place to pit it and suspected maybe the red color was exclusive to the aspec but didn't realize it only was an option until 2018. That explains why i couldn't find it in my 2019

Not sure why Acura took that feature away with the +18 MDXs? I don't know if they added it back in for the +22 MDXs.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Not sure why Acura took that feature away with the +18 MDXs? I don't know if they added it back in for the +22 MDXs.
Yeah seems like an odd thing to intentionally remove, an accidental oversight would seem more logical.

Not a huge deal to me regardless, I was just curious and couldn't seem to find it

·
Registered
115 Posts

You hybrid showoff!...Errr... ;)

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts
I have achieved satisfaction. Instantanious fuel for current tank is 31 MPG. Now I gotta see what the hand calculations say.
You hybrid showoff!...Errr... ;)
I got the J35, not the J30 Hybrid combo. My previous vehicle is an econobox.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I think the fwd MDX might be the hwy mileage king compared to the 3.5L sh-awd and the hybrid depending on conditions. The 3.5L will have the drivetrain loss plus tq vectoring sh-awd and 200lbs of extra weight. The hybrid comes in almost 400lbs more than the fwd with 3.0L pushing almost 4500lbs at 75-85 mph if the weather get extremely cold. The hybrid just makes up the mileage during city driving for an improved combine rating. The 3.5L is the way to go if you are mostly a road warrior.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts
I think the fwd MDX might be the hwy mileage king compared to the 3.5L sh-awd and the hybrid depending on conditions. The 3.5L will have the drivetrain loss plus tq vectoring sh-awd and 200lbs of extra weight. The hybrid comes in almost 400lbs more than the fwd with 3.0L pushing almost 4500lbs at 75-85 mph if the weather get extremely cold. The hybrid just makes up the mileage during city driving for an improved combine rating. The 3.5L is the way to go if you are mostly a road warrior.
Exactly. It just clocked to 31.6 MPG. But in reality, I'm kinda fed up with paying $400 a month on fuel. MDX is the perfect long road trip vehicle. Hopefully, in April 2023 my MDX will go back to weekend status, if Elon and Tesla makes deliveries by the promised day for the Cybertruck.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'm kinda fed up with paying $400 a month on fuel. MDX is the perfect long road trip vehicle. Hopefully, in April 2023 my MDX will go back to weekend status, if Elon and Tesla makes deliveries by the promised day for the Cybertruck.
A Tesla cybertruck is bound to be a ridiculously expensive item, even if one would consider buying such a hideous thing (from the renderings). It doesn't make sense to quibble about the cost of gas yet pay a huge premium for some replacement vehicle for it.

If you're spending $400/mo on gas you're driving a lot - probably at least 24,000 miles/yr. With that number of miles, if the cost of the gas is a concern then think about buying a used Prius or something. It's also putting a whole lot of miles on your vehicle you love and would basically trash the resale value of any new vehicle you bought to try to save money due to the miles you drive.

Or maybe your fuel cost calculations are off.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts
So yesterday's run from Costco North Miami Beach to Costco Millenia (Orlando) was 215 miles. The hand calculations came out to even numbers: 31 MPG and 7.170 gals consumed.

A Tesla cybertruck is bound to be a ridiculously expensive item, even if one would consider buying such a hideous thing (from the renderings). It doesn't make sense to quibble about the cost of gas yet pay a huge premium for some replacement vehicle for it.

If you're spending $400/mo on gas you're driving a lot - probably at least 24,000 miles/yr. With that number of miles, if the cost of the gas is a concern then think about buying a used Prius or something. It's also putting a whole lot of miles on your vehicle you love and would basically trash the resale value of any new vehicle you bought to try to save money due to the miles you drive.

Or maybe your fuel cost calculations are off.
Or its the stupid high cost of just a gal of regular. Its not a replacement vehicle forsay, just my MDX has its limitations especially for towing, and yes I do drive a lot (so does my father). I also looked at the financial decision behind it, and a typical EV in the market of current increasing gas prices, I would be spending about 1/3 in refueling an EV, but of course, EVs are the next big thing in the industry. I also calculated what's the price point that I would back out from the order.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
My old 06 204hp TSX with 2.4L NA I4 and 5AT would get 29-31 mpgs on the hwy and 25-27 city (91 octane required). I'm still amazed at a +2014 MDX 6-7 passenger +2 ton 290hp sh-awd or fwd SUV can run on 87 octane can equal that kind of mileage.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts