Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

What is your 3rd gen average MPG?

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I was able to get 30.3 mpg on a 248 mile segment last summer with my 20 Advance Non Hybrid AWD. It only had 600 miles on it when I started, so essentially just broken in.
Getting over 30 mpg with the 3rd gen MDX is possible when the conditions are right.
Few hills, very little variance in speed, no or little wind, warm temps (look at outside temp gauge), 2 extra psi in tires, summer blend fuel, only two passengers in the vehicle with 2 suitcase. Mostly interstate at 70-75 mph. Hand calculated when I filled up at 301 miles and it came out at 29.8 mpg (so the onboard calculator seems pretty accurate). Lost some mpg the last 50 miles cause we ran into stop n go traffic for a few miles.
The low final gear ratio of the ZF9 tranny (75 mpg is approx.1750 rpms), along with VCM make this possible.
Will be making a 900 mile trip later in June. Anxious to see what she gets now that it has 8400 miles on it.
View attachment 117289
View attachment 117290 (
Yay you're getting over 30 as well. Congrats. I'm not the only one with a FrankenMDX. You have the AWD and mine is FWD. That's a few pounds more for that feature. Does yours have a full sized spare. Mine doesn't. Mine doesn't even come with a jack. I wanted to remove the second row seats since it's only wife and I that travels. But removing it is a hassle. I used to remove the spare and 2nd row seats on my old CRV to cut back on weight.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Amazing! Conditions must have been perfect. We have 10% ethanol around here, btw. That doesn't help.
Yes, we have 10% ethanol here too and that’s what I had in my tank when I got 29.8. No doubt ethanol free gas will increase your mpg a bit.

Yay you're getting over 30 as well. Congrats. I'm not the only one with a FrankenMDX. You have the AWD and mine is FWD. That's a few pounds more for that feature. Does yours have a full sized spare. Mine doesn't. Mine doesn't even come with a jack. I wanted to remove the second row seats since it's only wife and I that travels. But removing it is a hassle. I used to remove the spare and 2nd row seats on my old CRV to cut back on weight.
Mine doesn’t have a full size spare but one of those space saving temporary spares. Your FWD is probably around 200 lbs lighter than my AWD Advance so you should see a bit more mpg.
Curious ...... is your overall mpg over 30 or just hwy? My overall is 24.3 at 8400 miles, but hwy I see anywhere from 27 to 30. Hopefully the trip in June I will be able to hit 31 on at least one tankfull, but she will be loaded down with golf clubs, suitcases and coolers. I hit 30.5 twice with my previous 17 AWD Tech, though.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
More than 28 seems hard to believe unless you have maybe a hybrid.
The 28mpg I saw on my trip a couple days ago was with the benefit of a tailwind - the wind alone made a difference of about 4mpg when driving with it versus against it.

For a normal long road trip I'd expect and be pretty happy with around 24-26mpg. But once I hit the mountains outside of San Diego (along I-8) driving westbound my mpg drops off a bit - not just due to the altitude change but also due to exercising and enjoying the shawd in the twisty roads.

Avh11 - Some differences between our two vehicles - mine has shawd (heavier, less efficient), a space saver spare (no way I'd drive without a spare regardless of mileage), and the 6 sp trans versus your 9 sp, although I doubt the gearing has that significant of a hit but I don't know the weight difference between the two. Also, where I generally drive there are mountains and hills to contend with - nothing like driving in the flat midwest or many other parts of the country.

I'm glad you seem to be getting good mileage and are happy with it. IMO the MDX gets great mileage given its size and form factor.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Based on some short flat highway trips with our hybrid MDX, I'd say we could get low 30's on flat ground interstate IF I kept the speed constant at 60mph or so, I've seen the "lie o meter" show 32-33 for some trips like that. But, except that the speed limit on those road sections was 55 or 60, I'm usually driving 70-80 depending on the speed limit. I suspect under my "normal" highway driving routes I'll be in the mid 20's. We've got a 2,000 miles trip next week through oregon, idaho, montana and washington, will be interesting to see what highway mileage we get on that trip. First long trip on the hybrid, Got it just as Covid hit, so no big trips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yes, we have 10% ethanol here too and that’s what I had in my tank when I got 29.8. No doubt ethanol free gas will increase your mpg a bit.

Mine doesn’t have a full size spare but one of those space saving temporary spares. Your FWD is probably around 200 lbs lighter than my AWD Advance so you should see a bit more mpg.
Curious ...... is your overall mpg over 30 or just hwy? My overall is 24.3 at 8400 miles, but hwy I see anywhere from 27 to 30. Hopefully the trip in June I will be able to hit 31 on at least one tankfull, but she will be loaded down with golf clubs, suitcases and coolers. I hit 30.5 twice with my previous 17 AWD Tech, though.
This MDX is our long distance driving car. We have a Tacoma that we use for daily city use. So the MDX will sit in the garage for days sometimes weeks. When we use it though, it's usually from Virginia to South Florida (1000 miles) mostly flat roads. So 30-33 MPG is highway. I use ACC a lot. But I'm heavy on the gas pedal at times when the road is clear but maxing at 85-90 mph only.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,166 Posts
This MDX is our long distance driving car. We have a Tacoma that we use for daily city use. So the MDX will sit in the garage for days sometimes weeks. When we use it though, it's usually from Virginia to South Florida (1000 miles) mostly flat roads. So 30-33 MPG is highway. I use ACC a lot. But I'm heavy on the gas pedal at times when the road is clear but maxing at 85-90 mph only.
When you enter FL, which interstate do you use to get to South Florida? I never broke 30 MPG on the MDX at all and I've been sitting on 60 MPH all the time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I95 all the way to Pompano beach. I couldn't believe the mileage I am getting and the reason for this poll. I have a base, no spare tire, fwd, no jack, 87 octane, stock tires, tires inflated 35. 40 by the time we're in FL.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,166 Posts
I95 all the way to Pompano beach. I couldn't believe the mileage I am getting and the reason for this poll. I have a base, no spare tire, fwd, no jack, 87 octane, stock tires, tires inflated 35. 40 by the time we're in FL.
Hmm... interesting. I use I-95 too although from exit 16 (Palmetto/Turnpike/I-95/US-441 interchange) to exit 215 and I slap my CC at 60 regardless and have been consistent with using only Costco's 87 and tires being at 38 PSI warm. I guess my issue that brings my MPG down is related to those rest area stops, going through bumper-to-bumper traffic on the palmetto and sitting at signal lights on the back roads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I'm getting crazy high MPGs again on my base MDX. Now almost 36 MPGs. I did a short drive prior so that explains the 15 MPG then followed with a 40 mile highway drive. Unbelievable weird but I'm loving it.
but I'm loving it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I to can get into the very high 30's on a 40 mile trip if I have the right conditions, constant speed, level ground, not much wind. But see if you can get 30mpg overall trip average on a 400-600 mile trip. An entirely different situation.
If you can hit 30 or more mpg on a 300+ mile highway trip your definitely doing better than we can, if you hit 35 on the highway I'd say your in the 1% category.

And in town with our MDX hybrid my wife consistently get a dash readout in the 35-40 mpg range on one of her several times/week 5 mile each way trip. But overall in town on a full tank hand calculated is in the 24-16mpg overal range. Heck I even hit 90mpg on one trip of only a couple of miles. Most if it was on the electric motor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I to can get into the very high 30's on a 40 mile trip if I have the right conditions, constant speed, level ground, not much wind. But see if you can get 30mpg overall trip average on a 400-600 mile trip. An entirely different situation.
If you can hit 30 or more mpg on a 300+ mile highway trip your definitely doing better than we can, if you hit 35 on the highway I'd say your in the 1% category.

And in town with our MDX hybrid my wife consistently get a dash readout in the 35-40 mpg range on one of her several times/week 5 mile each way trip. But overall in town on a full tank hand calculated is in the 24-16mpg overal range. Heck I even hit 90mpg on one trip of only a couple of miles. Most if it was on the electric motor.
I did get 34 last month during a 1000 mile trip. I've been checking under my hood if I have an electric motor there somewhere. This MDX is like a hybrid. My daughter's 4 cyl honda could do 35 at most. This MDX is a freak I tell you.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Good post. I’ve seen my mileage calculator indicate over 40 mpg 15-20 miles into a tankful before, but it usually drops into the 20s by the time I need to fill up.
I got 32.2 after 119 miles last summer once (it did indicate 33.1 after 65 miles), but by the time I had to fill up, I ended up at 29.5. Very happy with that kind of mpg, but like you said ..... conditions have to be right.
CB026960-096C-450D-B99F-42C10FBD28FD.jpeg

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've noticed that using ACC set at 75mph gives me less mpg on my 2020 hybrid tech. On highways, I get roughly 25mpg with ACC & I can get 26-27 accelerating/coasting on my own. This is in the Midwest. Car set to comfort or sports setting.

Jealous of those getting 30+mpg.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I did get 34 last month during a 1000 mile trip. I've been checking under my hood if I have an electric motor there somewhere. This MDX is like a hybrid. My daughter's 4 cyl honda could do 35 at most. This MDX is a freak I tell you.
You have 4 motors for the MDX hybrid (3.0L NA gas and 3 electric motors):
  • one inside the 7DCT to help drive the front wheels
  • two for either rear wheel in the TMU (Twin Motor Unit) that can operate independently of the front motors, at different power levels for each one (regen braking and/or tq vectoring), one rear motor only, or both rear motors working together.
The only thing the rear electric motors can't do is run in reverse on electric power only. My RLX hybrid can, but; not my MDX hybrid.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've noticed that using ACC set at 75mph gives me less mpg on my 2020 hybrid tech. On highways, I get roughly 25mpg with ACC & I can get 26-27 accelerating/coasting on my own. This is in the Midwest. Car set to comfort or sports setting.

Jealous of those getting 30+mpg.
I've noticed similar with the ACC even vs "regular" cruise control. I think part of the reason is that I've noticed with ACC more subtle acceleration/breaking when in traffic that I would normally do on my own, or even with regular cruise. if i get into traffic with cruise, on comes the brakes, then don't resume cruise till traffic clears, while ACC is constantly adapting, more often than i do.

I always have the car set to sport setting

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,166 Posts
Good post. I’ve seen my mileage calculator indicate over 40 mpg 15-20 miles into a tankful before, but it usually drops into the 20s by the time I need to fill up.
I got 32.2 after 119 miles last summer once (it did indicate 33.1 after 65 miles), but by the time I had to fill up, I ended up at 29.5. Very happy with that kind of mpg, but like you said ..... conditions have to be right.
View attachment 117363
I'm killing myself here with those $400 per month gas fill-ups. How are you doing that? I am religiously doing 60 MPH with regular cruise control and in some areas 55 MPH, while staying in 9th gear the entire time. Is this geographic related or should I start poning up my arms and legs to fill up with 93 at every fill-up? I am not sure what I'm doing wrong.

·
Registered
435 Posts

This is my norm.
Mostly highway, 80+ mph, 87 octane, AC always on.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If it is like my 2019, that 26.9 mpg drops to about 25 maybe 25.5 when I fill up and hand calculate. MDX like my other two cars fuel mileage display tends to be optimistic. Still even 25mpg at 80 mph driving a barn door down the highway is impressive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm killing myself here with those $400 per month gas fill-ups. How are you doing that? I am religiously doing 60 MPH with regular cruise control and in some areas 55 MPH, while staying in 9th gear the entire time. Is this geographic related or should I start poning up my arms and legs to fill up with 93 at every fill-up? I am not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Live in TN so plenty of hills and curves. My best mileage was recorded when traveling south to FL and East to SC, but still had to go thru a bunch of hills. Don’t think it’s geographical but best mileage always happened when the temps are 70 plus and not going against any kind of substantial wind. Octane doesn’t matter much in my opinion, maybe 1 or 2 mpg at best, if that ..... but winter blend vs summer blend is big .... as much as 3-4 better mpg with summer blend, but the cold temps have something to do with that.
I rarely use cruise, always run 2 psi more than what is recommended in my tires, easy on the pedal (to an extent), and try to get up to 9th gear and VCM w/o gunning it. Also not hitting the brakes going downhill or when hwy traffic gets bad (waste of energy, try to anticipate and coast if possible). I think the best speed for mileage for my MDX is around 60-65, but I actually get 27-29 when going 72-78 and conditions are right.
Nothing earth shattering ..... good luck.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,166 Posts
Live in TN so plenty of hills and curves. My best mileage was recorded when traveling south to FL and East to SC, but still had to go thru a bunch of hills. Don’t think it’s geographical but best mileage always happened when the temps are 70 plus and not going against any kind of substantial wind. Octane doesn’t matter much in my opinion, maybe 1 or 2 mpg at best, if that ..... but winter blend vs summer blend is big .... as much as 3-4 better mpg with summer blend, but the cold temps have something to do with that.
I rarely use cruise, always run 2 psi more than what is recommended in my tires, easy on the pedal (to an extent), and try to get up to 9th gear and VCM w/o gunning it. Also not hitting the brakes going downhill or when hwy traffic gets bad (waste of energy, try to anticipate and coast if possible). I think the best speed for mileage for my MDX is around 60-65, but I actually get 27-29 when going 72-78 and conditions are right.
Nothing earth shattering ..... good luck.
So the temps I'm seeing is like upper 80s lower 90s. I think I'm putting high expectations after driving 55k miles in an econobox that has a CVT and used like 8 gals for the same distance (250 miles) compared to the MDX's consumption of 12 to 14 gals. So far the highest I've seen was 28.5 and that's on the Turnpike with 95 being 2nd. I have to do another run on I-75 but this time doing 60 instead of speed limit.

Pretty sure I did 520 miles in 14.4 gals on that econobox, so what gives?

41 - 60 of 84 Posts