Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

What is your 3rd gen average MPG?

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't know how you folks obtain such high average mpg readings. I'm averaging 19.2 mpg. Probably one third of my driving is highway. I took a long trip recently and got 26 mpg (only on that trip there and back). BUt over the last year, 19.2 avg. We have 10% ethanol gas around here, but I always use Top-Tier premium (either Mobil or Costco).

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,062 Posts
I'm running Costco's 87 Octane. So far this year I have been averaging 20 MPG. The only significant highest MPG I've seen on the MDX on a tank is 28.5 MPG and that was this past Sunday when I took the most efficient route yet the most collision and accident dense toll road in the country. I do drive at 9th gear with regular CC set at 60, with my tires with a warm PSI set at 40 PSIs.

Once I accumulate more Hwy miles on the MDX, my MPG average should be higher. However, filling this up is taking roughly the same drain on funds as driving 1000 miles per week on an econobox SUV.

·
Registered
360 Posts
We average in the 25-28 hand calculated in town, Highway about the same on the few trips we've done. But we have a 2019 hybrid, which puts us in another "ball game" compared to non-hybrid versions. Highway probably isn't much different than the non hybrids, but in town is. Twice the hybrid has been in the shop (recall for the DCT SW programming, & install of protective film). On both occasions we had a non hybrid as a loaner. Our 25ish on short around town trips quickly went to the 16ish on the non hybrid.

Could we get 30+ on the highway? Well I suppose on flat ground with constant speed of 55-60 I probably could, but not with our normal highway MPG. Speed is a killer. On our GMC diesel 3/4 ton we usually get 18-19 on the highway on a 750 mile trip to visit my folks. Speed limits varied from 65 in oregon to 80 in montana. One trip we also had a u-haul full of stuff. I drove the U-haul at 55, DW followed in the Denali. U-haul took 80 gallons of gas, truck didn't even use one full 35 gallon tank. Driving 55-60 it got 25mpg, When your driving a barn door down the road speed kills mileage. and the truck is a barn door, the MDX a large garage door.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I say BS, but who knows your parameters. I calculated two tanks all highway miles and got slightly better than 28 and was thrilled. 2020 AWD 89 fuel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My wife and I drive pretty fast, so I am expecting to get 17-19 city mpg at best using 87 octane in our 2018 SH-AWD.
We just got the car this week. We had a 2003 MDX that averaged 18mpg.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
My only guess is that the VCM is behind this which could be a bad thing. I maybe getting 33 mpg now but at the cost of fouled plugs, damaged engine supports and cylinders later. I haven't done any modifications but I bought it as a CPO last year and don't know what the previous owner did. I don't put anything but 87 octane.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
My only guess is that the VCM is behind this which could be a bad thing.
I always have VCM functioning on mine as do most people here so I don't think that's a factor setting yours apart. One has to use aftermarket methods to disable it. I actually really like the idea of VCM since on my MDX it's almost imperceptible and it improves mileage. I'm not concerned about negative impacts to the engine or drive train under the assumption the vehicle was engineered to handle the VCM. I'll validate that if something goes awry due to it but so far in 8 years and 73K miles - no problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My only guess is that the VCM is behind this which could be a bad thing. I maybe getting 33 mpg now but at the cost of fouled plugs, damaged engine supports and cylinders later. I haven't done any modifications but I bought it as a CPO last year and don't know what the previous owner did. I don't put anything but 87 octane.
VCMs have been around on Honda products for years with few, if any issues. I wouldn’t worry about plugs, engine supports, etc. It’s a proven product that saves fuel. This with the 1800 rpm hwy speeds is why people get 28-30 hwy mpg. It works.

·
Registered
360 Posts
let's see. in the 60's a VW bug with a top speed of about 70mph on flat road on a good day could get in the mid 20's for economy. today a 4500lb car, traveling at 70-80 mph gets mid 20's.
And a 60's muscle car with a good tune would do 0-60 in the 6 second range and a few do the quarter mile in <15 seconds, while getting mid teens at best economy
Acura MDX hybrid will be showing tail lights to most of those muscle cars for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and without a speed limiter be running away from them for top speed.
And carry 4 passengers in comfort and a quiet ride and outcorner, outstop them as well.

I'll stick with the progress that has occurred. While I loved my 69 charger R/T, and wish I still had it, the MDX outperforms it in almost all respects. (Love the rumble of a V-8)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
^^ The new cars are considerably heavier as well yet have better performance and much better gas mileage. My daily driver is a 1966 and mileage isn't a strong suit - but I really like driving it.

There have been a lot of improvements over the years. One of the reasons I held off on getting a 2nd gen MDX was that it didn't have VCM and I felt it should and figured it'd be a likely enhancement in the next gen, which I figured was just a couple years away. It turns out I was right on that and bought a 3rd gen about as soon as it came out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't know how you folks obtain such high average mpg readings. I'm averaging 19.2 mpg. Probably one third of my driving is highway. I took a long trip recently and got 26 mpg (only on that trip there and back). BUt over the last year, 19.2 avg. We have 10% ethanol gas around here, but I always use Top-Tier premium (either Mobil or Costco).
In our case, it's the fact that the MDX is a hybrid that gives us higher mileage. Like you, much/most of the driving is "in town", which is where the hybrid shines, usually giving us in the 25-26 mpg range hand calculated. Highway isn't that much better, a few mpg.

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
55 Posts
Wow! I’m throughly impressed with the MDX’s getting 30 plus MPG at freeway speeds, Besting the EPA by about 15%.

The EPA on my ‘18 SH-AWD is 18/26/21 mpg. It gets about 22-24 mpg combined, in comfort mode, with about 60% freeway, 30% rural free flow traffic and 10% city with light traffic. The coefficient of drag is 0.35.

We’ve put about 120k miles on three 2017 Accords with the same V6 engine as the MDX. The Accords weigh about 3500 lbs (about 800 lbs less than the MDX) and get 28-30 mpg in the same conditions. The coefficient of drag is 0.30.

Comparing my experience with the Accords, I think my ‘18 MDX fuel economy is decent, but it’s not within sight of 30 plus.

Seems odd that these 3rd Gen MDXs can have such variations in combined and highway fuel economy. 10-15%, I get. But better than 30% seems odd. That said, the 3rd Gen does have 3 different transmissions (and probably a handful of electronic shift programs as each model of tranny was refined). YMMV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
18 AWD bought as a daily last month, 70% is mostly stop and go traffic. 91 octane, average 19.5 -20 hand calculated

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I opened this poll and I am ending it now. I'm still not sure why mine is the only one that keeps hitting over 33 mpg on the highway(trip computer and hand calculator). We've taken this from Virginia to Florida about 3 times now. Winter temperatures brought it down but not by much. My son in law asked me if maybe I have a 4 cylinder. I told him it only comes in 6 or hybrid. Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I happened to drive about 700 miles in my 2014 shawd Saturday - from San Diego to Phoenix and back all on the same day. There was a fairly stiff wind from the west for most of the drive. Since this thread was fresh in my mind I noticed the mileage and according to the car's calculations (too lazy to hand calc it) it got around 28-29mpg east bound (with the wind) and about 23-24mpg west bound (against the wind) this is driving the same road on the same day at the same speeds (mostly 73-78 mph). This is about what I would have expected.

You're the only one I've ever seen post consistent mileage of 33mpg - that's at least about 5-7 mpg higher than I'd expect.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I happened to drive about 700 miles in my 2014 shawd Saturday - from San Diego to Phoenix and back all on the same day. There was a fairly stiff wind from the west for most of the drive. Since this thread was fresh in my mind I noticed the mileage and according to the car's calculations (too lazy to hand calc it) it got around 28-29mpg east bound (with the wind) and about 23-24mpg west bound (against the wind) this is driving the same road on the same day at the same speeds (mostly 73-78 mph). This is about what I would have expected.

You're the only one I've ever seen post consistent mileage of 33mpg - that's at least about 5-7 mpg higher than I'd expect.
And way over factory EPA rating. I can get 26+ highway with my SHAWD 17 under the right conditions. More than 28 seems hard to believe unless you have maybe a hybrid. Or the computer is drunk, lol.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
368 Posts
Shall we factor in the 10% ethanol blend in midwest? I am sure midwesterners get at least 1mpg less than others

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm driving 80% city 20% highway. I lived in jersey city area. Why my 2018 MDX only got 17.5 MPG, is there something wrong with it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
And way over factory EPA rating. I can get 26+ highway with my SHAWD 17 under the right conditions. More than 28 seems hard to believe unless you have maybe a hybrid. Or the computer is drunk, lol.
I was able to get 30.3 mpg on a 248 mile segment last summer with my 20 Advance Non Hybrid AWD. It only had 600 miles on it when I started, so essentially just broken in.
Getting over 30 mpg with the 3rd gen MDX is possible when the conditions are right.
Few hills, very little variance in speed, no or little wind, warm temps (look at outside temp gauge), 2 extra psi in tires, summer blend fuel, only two passengers in the vehicle with 2 suitcase. Mostly interstate at 70-75 mph. Hand calculated when I filled up at 301 miles and it came out at 29.8 mpg (so the onboard calculator seems pretty accurate). Lost some mpg the last 50 miles cause we ran into stop n go traffic for a few miles.
The low final gear ratio of the ZF9 tranny (75 mpg is approx.1750 rpms), along with VCM make this possible.
Will be making a 900 mile trip later in June. Anxious to see what she gets now that it has 8400 miles on it.
EB008536-953E-48DC-BA92-AE3EC22B342F.jpeg

1AFBF9F9-797C-4585-AFF9-5660F75A1C63.jpeg
(

21 - 40 of 84 Posts