Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

What is your 3rd gen average MPG?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 base MDX FWD. Just came back from a 1000 mile road trip. I averaged 33 MPG on mostly clear highway drive at an average of 70-90 mph. My son in law has a 2020 same model and he averaged 26 MPG on the same road and conditions. He has @ 5000 miles on his odometer. I have @ 47000 miles. He said he drove at around the same speed 70-90 mph. Both cars were loaded with camping stuff.
How do you explain this?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
  • Drafting
  • ACC speed varied more in the follow vehicle trying to keep up
  • IDS in a different mode
  • the driver might have used the gas/brake pedal more compared to letting ACC do its thing
  • ECU learning might have lean towards more aggressive driving for one driver
  • engine/trans not fully broken in on the 2020 (still has break-in oil and learning driving habits with ECU)
  • different tires might help/hurt mpgs
  • different fuel might help/hurt mpgs
  • alignment, balance, and PSI might help/hurt mpgs
  • accessories like roof crossbar +/- box, side steps, and/or splash guards might help/hurt mpgs

Getting +26 is damn good for any +2 ton 7 passenger SUV at those speeds! I have a 19 MDX hybrid and my mpgs can vary +/- 1-3 mpgs per tank of gas on the same 12hr hwy run when everything seems equal (always stop a Sam's or Costco for gas on the road).

Reactions: jefferson88

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
756 Posts
Is that hand calculated or via the dash numbers.
My 2018 has a lifetime average of 22.72 with a max of 27.58

·
Registered
131 Posts
My 2016 with 65k miles gets 24.5mpg. my new 2020 at 15k miles gets 22.5mpg. same driver, same routes to work for many years. same base AWD model. same costco gas. not sure why

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
  • Drafting
  • ACC speed varied more in the follow vehicle trying to keep up
  • IDS in a different mode
  • the driver might have used the gas/brake pedal more compared to letting ACC do its thing
  • ECU learning might have lean towards more aggressive driving for one driver
  • engine/trans not fully broken in on the 2020 (still has break-in oil and learning driving habits with ECU)
  • different tires might help/hurt mpgs
  • different fuel might help/hurt mpgs
  • alignment, balance, and PSI might help/hurt mpgs
  • accessories like roof crossbar +/- box, side steps, and/or splash guards might help/hurt mpgs

Getting +26 is damn good for any +2 ton 7 passenger SUV at those speeds! I have a 19 MDX hybrid and my mpgs can vary +/- 1-3 mpgs per tank of gas on the same 12hr hwy run when everything seems equal (always stop a Sam's or Costco for gas on the road).
Very complete list of possible causes. I did use ACC a lot. I bought this MDX last year as a CPO. It had 36k miles. Whoever drove it before, broke it in perfectly for me. I'm just so happy with the purchase.

·
Super Moderator
1,968 Posts
Does your son-in-law have FWD or SH-AWD? SH-AWD will consume a little more gas comparing to FWD. With my 2019 Hybrid and hand calculation (miles drove / actual fuel up), the trip computer always estimated 1~2 mpg higher than actual mpg..

·
Administrator
2018 MDX SH-AWD
34 Posts
I took a 1600 mile trip from the northeast to the Smoky Mtns last week towing a motorcycle trailer and averaged 25.5 mpg. Seems pretty good to me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does your son-in-law have FWD or SH-AWD? SH-AWD will consume a little more gas comparing to FWD. With my 2019 Hybrid and hand calculation (miles drove / actual fuel up), the trip computer always estimated 1~2 mpg higher than actual mpg..
He has FWD. 2020 base. Doesn't need AWD in Florida.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a 1600 mile trip from the northeast to the Smoky Mtns last week towing a motorcycle trailer and averaged 25.5 mpg. Seems pretty good to me.
What tires do you have. I'm due for a replacement and I'm installing the same Michelin tires that are on. Latitude tour hp.

·
Administrator
2018 MDX SH-AWD
34 Posts
They're almost new Hankook Mavis Traction Control. The car is pretty new to me and they were on it when I purchased it. They're not my tire of choice, but they seem to be doing a good job. So far, so good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a CRV 2007 before and my best is 28 mpg highway. So when I was making 33 with MDX, I realized how much better car I'm getting per gallon. I thought all the MDX owners were having the same mpg. Until I asked my son in law. This is even after I've added heavy running boards.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I run 87 octane in my 2017 base SH-AWD, just under 50k miles. Delighted by my fuel economy, though I have almost no city driving.
My highway stretches average between 26-29mpg at 80mph in the desert, elevation about 4000-4500ft in my area.
Can get 30+ when drafting other traffic but would rather burn more fuel than take another rock to the windscreen.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I've made a number of coast to coast trips in my 2014 shawd and have never seen anything close to the numbers you're talking about. It could hit 30mpg for some shorter stretches but 25-27 is more the norm. These trips are generally long freeway stretches with the cruise control on and about 70-80 except for places 85 is legal.

I've used the vehicle's mileage calculator and hand calculated it and have found the vehicle's numbers to be about 2mpg optimistic.

I'd check on those 33mpg numbers again more carefully on the next trip.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 20 Advance AWD is now one year old with 8350 miles and I’m averaging 24.3 mpg overall. I estimate 55-60% city and 40-45% hwy so far. Best mileage has been 30.3 on a 248 mile stretch. I hand calculate every other fill up and find the onboard mileage calculator to be accurate .... within .2 mpg.
I also notice the hotter the outside temp, the better the mileage. As much as 3-4 mpg. So many things effect mileage ..... temp, wind, terrain, type of fuel, driving habits, tire pressure, etc.
Very happy with my 20. No issues, never been back to the dealer.
171B27AB-B5AC-43B8-9BBE-AF9C52FCBDA6.jpeg

1 - 20 of 84 Posts