Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...just purchased a 2002 MDXwith 210,000..from a family member that babied it since they bought it new....and just ran my first tank thru....I upgraded from a 1998 Saturn SL2 that got 35mpg like clock work and worried about the MPG in my MDX....the Trip Computer on dash showed all week that I was getting 13.4(to start) and by the end of the week it showed 13.9(at fill up).....when I checked it, by hand, I was getting 19.6:surprise: very nice!...not 35 up the MDX is no SL2!

will the dash computer get any better?......is 19.6 about average?....I do back roads about work about 35 miles one way.

happy with MDX!...getting timing Belt changed Monday and hope to get another 100,000 out of her.

thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I would say 19.6 is probably above-average for a 1st gen MDX.

One tank of gas is not enough to condemn the trip computer... But it is fairly well-known that trip computers are not entirely accurate when it comes to MPG estimates. Even between two gas pumps there is some variation in what a "gallon" is.

I do think 13.4->19.6 is unusual, however.

You may want to fill the tank, then drive until empty, then fill tank again at the same station/pump. Then do your calculations.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I'm amazed at how accurate my own MDX's computer is - on most of the 7-8000 mile road trips I take, I take meticulous records and compare the actual mileage to the calculated, and it's always been within 0.1mpg of the same. I wouldn't get my knickers in too tight a twist over the dash MPG reading being off - probably a flow meter or similar issue. Just get used to what it shows, and only think about it if it suddenly changes a lot.

I guess it goes without saying you WILL have to reset the computer to keep from averaging the previous owner's mileage with your own. That might be the case if your average went up as much as it did. Push the trip button and you'll see how many miles that the MPG is calculated over. If it's more than you drove with your last tank of gas, you need to reset the trip ON THE CENTER DISPLAY (not the one under the speedo).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.