Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

This is a little post about my current MPG performance and some discoveries I made about getting the most mileage.
First of all, I am in no way dissatisfied or surprised by my X MPG performance I knew before hand the 3.7L was a thirsty engine and that I would struggle in the city with it. I think its fair for some guys to be let down by the poor mileage in some cases.

My Current Setup.
K&N Filter (Should not make a difference)
NGK IR Laser Plugs
Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 for Engine
DW-1 for ATF
Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 for Transfer
DPSF AWD for Rear Diff Fluid

My Current Mileage (Flat Roads) and All results are Manual calculations not MID and 2 or 1 people load with light cargo:
Highway @ 60mph = 26mpgs < Pretty Happy about this
Highway @ 70mph = 22mpgs < Still somewhat happy
Highway @ 80mph = 19mpgs < Not so happy

City No Traffic @ >60mph = 18mpgs
City No Traffic @ >50mph = 17mpgs
City No Traffic @ >40mph = 16mpgs

City w/traffic @ >40mph = 16mpgs
City w/traffic @ >30mph = 13mpgs
City w/traffic @ >20mph = 11-9mpgs

This is about what I was expecting more or less for the MDX with the 5 speed. Now to my discoveries.

First of all. Automatic mode (D5) is HORRIBLE, Way too much engine brake gets in the way all the time even on highway you can be cruising comfortably and at a light touch of the brake it will auto downshift way too early in the brake pedal travel. This is more notable on traffic were engine brake is usually there below 40mph which is ridiculous. Then when accelerating the engine will just upshift too fast making the car heavy and needing to push the gas pedal further down to compensate. I was under the impression that if I made the engine not pass 2.5K RPM I will be maximizing my MPGs but boy I was wrong... The MDX needs to get to speed and fast to take advantage of OD Gears.

My discovery.. Using SS for Daily Driving.
This might sound insane but please hear me out.
SS does not allow engine to brake at all, SS will only downshift when the RPMs are too low and the engine will stall so there is absolutely no Automatic Engine Brake on SS. This got rid of all the unnecessary downshifting in the traffic at low speed thus helping MPGs already.

Acceleration. Usually in D5 if you wanted to accelerate fast 1st gear will hold up way too much around 4K depending on how much acceleration you want. But since 2nd gear and 3rd gear are so closely matched ratios you can shift on 2nd earlier (This will reduce momentum but will keep the acceleration smooth) so by shifting 1st around 3K > 2nd around 2.5K > 3rd around 2K I got all the acceleration I wanted to immediately shift into 4th or 5th (Around 45mph) to start saving MPGs. I tried this mode for about a week in a here are the results:

City No Traffic @ >60mph = 24mpgs
City No Traffic @ >50mph = 21mpgs
City No Traffic @ >40mph = 19mpgs

City w/traffic @ >40mph = 19mpgs
City w/traffic @ >30mph = 17mpgs
City w/traffic @ >20mph = 16-13mpgs

The difference between D5 and SS has been seriously notorious in the city MPGs.. I went from struggling to get 15mpgs at below 40mph to constant 18-19mpgs, This was mainly because the car will upshift way too fast and overload the engine..

My main tip is.. Get to 40mph as smoothly and fast as you can.. DO NOT build speed slowly this is what destroys MPGs and try to avoid D5 as much as possible do not use SS as a "Performance Shift" rather than a more efficient "Automatic Plus Mode".

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also another point..
The DBW does not store driving habits while using SS, So you can drive all Toretto Style on SS and still keep the Grandma Mode on D5. Like a Sport & Eco Mode although given my results D5 is not more efficient than SS.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the interesting post. I have been thinking about trying this. I live in Houston, and after being here 15+ years, drive like the best/worst of us!

I have always thought my terrible consumption figures were as a result of the lead foot being applied with equal enthusiasm to both the gas & brakes. In City driving, I am getting about 11-12mpg on average. On the highway, at 70 or 80 mph, my very best has been about 20 mpg (using cruise control where possible).

Will be giving the SS approach a shot starting next time I fill up.

Cheers

russ

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks for the interesting post.

Will be giving the SS approach a shot starting next time I fill up.
x2. I'll be trying this a well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
OK, so, yeah, well... NO!

Tried it for 1/4 tank of gas. Worst MPG ever, and I've never been happy with my MPGs!

AFter 1/4 tank, my average was 9.9 MPG. Horrible.

BNot sure of S Mode is meant to do this, but when driving on surface streets, the tranny would never shift past 3rd by itself, even with my foot entirely off the gas, coasting at about 40 mph. Revs were up to about 3,300.

This might be a result of transmission problems when I first got the car.. hanging on gear shifts, "clunking" when changing down while coasting/slowing down on the highway, etc. I got sick of hearing "they all do that", and it took Acura a YEAR to come out with a Transmission firmware "fix".

I'll take it up with the service director at my local dealership...

Thanks for the idea - I had been wondering about it. Did not work out for me, but would be good to know how it goes for others!

russ

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you mean by "tranny would never shift past 3rd by itself, even with my foot entirely off the gas"? you mean like in D5 After going into SS?

This is weird I have been getting my best MPGs ever doing this?? D5 is obsolete by now unless I want to spend more gas and get a bogging down acceleration.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
BNot sure of S Mode is meant to do this, but when driving on surface streets, the tranny would never shift past 3rd by itself, even with my foot entirely off the gas, coasting at about 40 mph. Revs were up to about 3,300.
This is interesting, because that's similar to how the '12-'13 programming comes from the factory. Also, known to impact the '10-'11 models if they had certain firmware updates by the dealer. I've never heard of this on the 5-speed models though. On ours, S-mode will only upshift out of 3rd and 4th if you're doing full-throttle runs. Confirmed that is how they intended it to be, which means S-mode is pretty much worthless unless you drive like a heathen.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ You mean that SS has automatic upshift in those years? mine will never upshift automatically in SS :O

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yes, '10-'11 originally ran "s-mode" basically just as a more aggressive shifting algorithm in all gears except 6th. For '12 they changed it and it must have been last minute because the owners manual for '12 reads similar to the '10-'11 but it doesn't work that way. Mine shifts pretty decent through 3rd gear but then won't go to 4th or 5th until the revs are close to 5k rpm.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DAMN and Automatic Upshifting in SS is what I hate the most on my TL-S (Automatic from 1st to 2nd, No manual control at all). I was blessed when I knew the MDX could manually shift through all gears without automatic upshifting in SS..

·
Registered
861 Posts
It will not up**** if you're be using paddle snifters, once you hit your paddle it will stop up shifting by it self in S mode....

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It will not up**** if you're be using paddle snifters, once you hit your paddle it will stop up shifting by it self in S mode....
That's correct and how mine responds as well. If you just select S-mode, it will shift automatically (but more aggressively) up to 3rd, then 4th/5th require very high revs to get an upshift. If you use the paddles in S mode, it will remain in whatever gear you've selected (except 1st) until you shift back to normal auto. If you use the paddles in auto mode, it will only hold that selection for a moment, depending upon your throttle input. I use the paddles in auto-mode quite a bit to coax the thing out of the taller gears when taking turns across busy intersections. If you don't come to a complete stop, it will still be in 3rd or 4th gear even if you're barely moving.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So in yours if you put the car into SS it will go into an Automatic Sport Mode until you touch the Paddle Shifters to go full Manual?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
So in yours if you put the car into SS it will go into an Automatic Sport Mode until you touch the Paddle Shifters to go full Manual?
Correct. But "auto sport mode" has limitations above 3rd gear as mentioned so it's really only good for hole-shots.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on MPGs
For all the non believers how about getting 30mpgs in hwy? Today I made a 200 mile trip to Mexicali and had a chance to reset the MPGs while traveling on flat ground at 70mph I reset the trip meter and waited for my average to come up:

You might say that is not impressive it will go down eventually and you are correct watch closely at the Odometer for the miles traveled and how the MPGs update:

Awww it's going down but wait...

I average +30MPG for around 20 miles!!! This was not going downhill the SH-AWD was displaying all 4 wheels with 1 block for all the 20 miles at 70mph.

So this obviously not a normal situation what so ever and It did dipped down once the road became un leveled dropping to my usual 22-24mpgs after the 20mile stretch. I do not do this trip often so I didn't have the chance to test that out before.

Hope this helps anyone.. and yes City MPGs still sucks ***

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi folks!

This is a little post about my current MPG performance and some discoveries I made about getting the most mileage.

First of all, I am in no way dissatisfied or surprised by my X MPG performance I knew before hand the 3.7L was a thirsty engine and that I would struggle in the city with it. I think its fair for some guys to be let down by the poor mileage in some cases.

My Current Setup.

K&N Filter (Should not make a difference)

NGK IR Laser Plugs

Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 for Engine

DW-1 for ATF

Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 for Transfer

DPSF AWD for Rear Diff Fluid

My Current Mileage (Flat Roads) and All results are Manual calculations not MID and 2 or 1 people load with light cargo:

Highway @ 60mph = 26mpgs < Pretty Happy about this

Highway @ 70mph = 22mpgs < Still somewhat happy

Highway @ 80mph = 19mpgs < Not so happy

City No Traffic @ >60mph = 18mpgs

City No Traffic @ >50mph = 17mpgs

City No Traffic @ >40mph = 16mpgs

City w/traffic @ >40mph = 16mpgs

City w/traffic @ >30mph = 13mpgs

City w/traffic @ >20mph = 11-9mpgs

This is about what I was expecting more or less for the MDX with the 5 speed. Now to my discoveries.

First of all. Automatic mode (D5) is HORRIBLE, Way too much engine brake gets in the way all the time even on highway you can be cruising comfortably and at a light touch of the brake it will auto downshift way too early in the brake pedal travel. This is more notable on traffic were engine brake is usually there below 40mph which is ridiculous. Then when accelerating the engine will just upshift too fast making the car heavy and needing to push the gas pedal further down to compensate. I was under the impression that if I made the engine not pass 2.5K RPM I will be maximizing my MPGs but boy I was wrong... The MDX needs to get to speed and fast to take advantage of OD Gears.

My discovery.. Using SS for Daily Driving.

This might sound insane but please hear me out.

SS does not allow engine to brake at all, SS will only downshift when the RPMs are too low and the engine will stall so there is absolutely no Automatic Engine Brake on SS. This got rid of all the unnecessary downshifting in the traffic at low speed thus helping MPGs already.

Acceleration. Usually in D5 if you wanted to accelerate fast 1st gear will hold up way too much around 4K depending on how much acceleration you want. But since 2nd gear and 3rd gear are so closely matched ratios you can shift on 2nd earlier (This will reduce momentum but will keep the acceleration smooth) so by shifting 1st around 3K > 2nd around 2.5K > 3rd around 2K I got all the acceleration I wanted to immediately shift into 4th or 5th (Around 45mph) to start saving MPGs. I tried this mode for about a week in a here are the results:

City No Traffic @ >60mph = 24mpgs

City No Traffic @ >50mph = 21mpgs

City No Traffic @ >40mph = 19mpgs

City w/traffic @ >40mph = 19mpgs

City w/traffic @ >30mph = 17mpgs

City w/traffic @ >20mph = 16-13mpgs

The difference between D5 and SS has been seriously notorious in the city MPGs.. I went from struggling to get 15mpgs at below 40mph to constant 18-19mpgs, This was mainly because the car will upshift way too fast and overload the engine..

My main tip is.. Get to 40mph as smoothly and fast as you can.. DO NOT build speed slowly this is what destroys MPGs and try to avoid D5 as much as possible do not use SS as a "Performance Shift" rather than a more efficient "Automatic Plus Mode".

Can the transmission be re programmed and shift at different intervals? And can the braking be eliminated. I like the examples you show. I will try them myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The transmission or rather the DBW Throttle should "ADAPT" to your driving style but more often than not it becomes a bogging down nightmare like I was trying to Hypermiling it every day but I don't, I am the type of guy that likes to VTEC at least once a day so I dunno why the DBW Throttle tries to always bog down the trans with lots of early upshifts. Probably the Acura Program is meant to try to give the best possible MPGs at the expense of Acceleration.

Transmission Braking can only be eliminated if you use SS all day, Otherwise the trans will downshift to aid braking all day long.

·
Registered
286 Posts
OK I gotta ask because I don't know and I don't see it anywhere in my car - what is SS mode? All I have is Park, Rear, Neutral, D and D3 and then the tiptronic which I never used.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its the tiptronic. S= Sport shift mode. On 07-09, it is a fully manual mode and you use the shifter to up/down shift. On 10-13, sport mode is initially a more aggressive auto mode until you use the paddle. Then it becomes fully manual. Except.... the 1-2 and 2-1 shift is overrided by auto mode. If you run any gear to the minimum or maximum rpm, the computer with shift for you.

I wonder if the 07-09s do the same? Will the manual mode allow the engine to stay on the rev limiter or lug below idle rpm?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Its the tiptronic. S= Sport shift mode. On 07-09, it is a fully manual mode and you use the shifter to up/down shift. On 10-13, sport mode is initially a more aggressive auto mode until you use the paddle. Then it becomes fully manual. Except.... the 1-2 and 2-1 shift is overrided by auto mode. If you run any gear to the minimum or maximum rpm, the computer with shift for you.

I wonder if the 07-09s do the same? Will the manual mode allow the engine to stay on the rev limiter or lug below idle rpm?
Thanks Apex. So would it be a safe assumption that if I have zero experience using tiptronic, and zero experience using manual shifting, I should not attempt this? Or is it easy to learn? Or is there safeguards as you say that the computer will auto shift. I am happy to try to save fuel economy but don't want to screw my car in the process.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts