Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many fine pictures of a power inverter and aux RCA inputs installed in the center console. I understand that most of those have been done by installers. Anybody have insight into how those were done...for a DYI project?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just had mine done by a local shop. Looks easy after seeing how it's done. The piece in the back of the console snap right off (The piece where there are 2 knobs for fan speed and temperature control). You'll need some kind of a prying tool to unsnap it, but it doesn't seem very difficult.

Once you get it out, there's 2 plug modules to disconnect (for the 2 control knobs). Then you can just cut a hole on that piece to put in the jack for the RCA plug and AC adapter. I think Radio Shack carries it. I really don't even know what it's called, but it has 3 RCA jack in the back and front of the place. Also, there's an AC plug in the front, with an electrical wire on the back to plug into the power inverter.

Here's the hard part:

If you want to be able to control the input using the button on your head unit (I assume you have RES) via the DVD/AUX button, what you need to do is solder 3 long RCA wire into the back of the circuit board which is located in the very back right hand side armrest, under the lid (this is where you would normally plug in a PS2 if you haven't done any mod). It pops right out of it's location. Then you need to run those 3 RCA cables from the back, all the way to the front, and plug it into the adapter that you just built. The idea here is you can still use both the input in the back, as well as the one behind the console, and be able to control it with the head unit.
One you get that done, it just a matter of installing a power inverter under the driver's seat, running a hot and ground wire to the battery or to the ignition, depends on how you want to turn on the inverter. Then the AC cord on the adapter plate would be plugged into the power inverter. Now when you need to plug in something, you don't have to reach under the seat and fumble with trying to plug it directly into the power inverter.

I would recommend you buy a high quality power inverter (Coleman 800 watt/1600 watt maximum or something similar). I went through 3 power inverter over a week period, they simply just die on me. Also, get one with 2 plug, so you can have more than one accessory going at a time.

Good luck,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts