Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....driving along....400 or so miles on my new '03..and the VSM, ABS, Triangle light with the exclamation point, brake, VTM and some other light i cant remember come on and stay on....
Advice, please....I stopped at the next exit and turned everything off....restarted and after a few seconds they all came on again...

Pulled over about 10 miles later and let it set for about 3 minutes...then restarted and drove the remaining 15 miles home OK...

Any thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Call the dealer................................

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
contact dealer....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Message-1: SOMETHING IS WRONG.

Message-2: You should already have done Message-3 but too late now. If you didn't know what to do, you should have opened the owner's manual and read what it said.

Message-3: Call Acura Care (or dealer) NOW. Let them decide whether to send a tow truck or have you drive it to the dealer. I strongly suggest that you do NOT drive the MDX again until they (Acura) instruct you to do so.

Your problem could be something as simple as a faulty sensor --OR-- something could be seriously wrong.

If the "dash lights up" and you chose to continue driving the vehicle, you expose yourself to responsibility for damage. Take the case of a vehicle losing oil pressure.

If you turn the vehicle off immediately (like you should), then problem can be corrected with minor repair.

If you chose to drive the vehicle until the engine freezes, then this will be less than a minor repair (like a new engine).

You are responsible for reasonable behavior (the warranty does not cover stupidity). And remember, "the new electonics" monitors the problems and records the events. Thus, the manufacturer can not SEE THE SEQUENCE OF EVENTS.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My dealer told me that some light or lights may come on if you don't turn the gas cap past at least 3 clicks after filling up?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
E. Fudd said:
My dealer told me that some light or lights may come on if you don't turn the gas cap past at least 3 clicks after filling up?
I totally disagreed with this. Normally I only do it with 1 or 2 clicks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
E. Fudd said:
The only light that MAY come on would be the service engine light.
Not all the other lights.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Any News yet??

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well.....the post that mentioned the gas cap got me thinking....this happened like immediately after I gassed up....can't remember number of clicks, but do agree that it's important. I tightened it and there has been no reaoccurance........will monitor.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
BUT the fact is if you dont tighten the gas cap JUST THE " CHECK ENGINE" will come on nothing else. With all the dash lights going on and off it sounds like a major electrical concern. IMO don't monitor it, take the X in.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Warzau,

You could be right and it could be an electrical problem

OR

It could be a "flaky sensor" of some sort. We had a similar problem when we were 100+ miles from home. Had it checked at a local Acura dealership and they "gave us the OK to drive it home" (had them put it on the workorder). Took Acura a week to track it down. Turned out to be some sort of pressure sensor.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm......

Well, update time....driving around today the lights all came on again!! This time I was 2 miles from the dealer...tooled over there (car runs flawlessly, even with lights on) and they took an hour or so to check it out. Couldn't find anything. They have it now...overnight...they work on Saturdays, so are continuing their hunt tomorrow.....they initially checked fuses and looked for error codes - to no avail. We'll see ... should be interesting...

SRPBEP: do you remember any more detail about the 'pressure sensor'?

Heading to the Caribbean in a couple of days and don't have a week to have them hunt....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
stumpie,

Answer to your question: I believe that the 2nd dealer ended up replacing a "VTech pressure switch". Also, the 1st dealer replaced an engine oil pressure sensor wiring connector. Mine did have a code initially which indicated "no engine oil pressue". Beyond that, don't really know what went on. The good news is that they obviously found and fixed the problem.

Suggestion: Go to the Caribbean, have a good time, and leave the MDX with the dealer if needed (hard to find an MDX under your seat in an airplane). You really do want them to fix this problem. Otherwise you'll drive the MDX and ignore the lights and then one day something will be wrong and you'll never know because you'll simply ignore the idiot lights.

Go enjoy the Caribbean ... leave your dog/cat with a friend or a pet boarder, leave your MDX with "a loving Acura dealer".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts