Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just can’t catch a break with this 2015 MDX.

I normally get home after the wife and she parks in the same spot in the driveway but yesterday she was out and about and when I got home I noticed over a dozen oil drip stains on my new pavers. I was hoping it was just water condensation but it was oil.

I did some night time inspection and I noticed oil on the oil filter and the frame below. Today I checked and it was on nice and tight so I sprayed the area clean and let it dry. I checked for leaks while not running and nothing.

I ran it and nothing noticeable from around the crank, pan, oil pump or oil filter solenoid. I took it for a test drive and took a paper towel to look for leaks.

Bingo - the paper towel picked up oil from the oil filter gasket mating area.

I tried to remove the filter and it was super-duper tight. I had to get a tool to remove it. I never put on the filter that tight and I can always man-hand remove it but not this time.

I inspected the gasket on the filter and it was warped / sloped flat-flush on one side
See photo.

I check the gasket each time I install them and it was not like this otherwise I wouldn’t have installed it.

What would cause this?

I suspect that in my independent mechanic’s quest to fix my MDX’s fuel trim issue they removed the oil filter and over-tightened it upon reinstall - that or Acura did it - I know I didn’t install it that tight and while filters can get tighter over time, I have 60% oil life left so it shouldn’t be that it self tightened

I had one last new filter on hand and installed it and so far no leaks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get some OEM Honda oil filters for your application. You can get them fairly cheap on eBay from progressive Acura dealers who heavily discount parts. No sense messing around with aftermarket for the health of your engine.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do yourself a favor and get some OEM Honda oil filters for your application. You can get them fairly cheap on eBay from progressive Acura dealers who heavily discount parts. No sense messing around with aftermarket for the health of your engine.
Are you suggesting the WIX filter is the issue?

So you know FRAM now makes the Honda filters. I’ll assume to better spec than those commercial cardboard filters but still it’s a FRAM. No thanks - there are much better filters out there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Typically your current Honda oil filter will either be p/n 15400-PLM-A01 manufactured by Filtech, 15400-PLM-A02 manufactured by Honeywell/Fram and more recently you will likely get 15400-RTA-003 manufactured by Mahle Tennex (made in Japan).

In any case the o-seal used on the Honda OEM filters is superior to the rubber gasket type used on many aftermarket filters for providing a leak free seal and easier to remove at your next oil change.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
....more recently you will likely get 15400-RTA-003 manufactured by Mahle Tennex (made in Japan).
good to know, I’ll check with my local parts desk on if they have -003 in stock. Any idea on how the inside is? -001 had aluminum holders, -002 was/is cardboard

in my case I don’t think it was the WIX gasket seals fault. “someone” over-tightened it.

I’ve taken a few trips today and so far no leak with the new filter on. Time will tell.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the -003 filter looks the same as the FRAM -002..

·
Registered
962 Posts
Typically your current Honda oil filter will either be p/n 15400-PLM-A01 manufactured by Filtech, 15400-PLM-A02 manufactured by Honeywell/Fram and more recently you will likely get 15400-RTA-003 manufactured by Mahle Tennex (made in Japan).

In any case the o-seal used on the Honda OEM filters is superior to the rubber gasket type used on many aftermarket filters for providing a leak free seal and easier to remove at your next oil change.
^^^ THIS. The square-cut sealing rubber tends to distort when over-tightened. The round cross section seals used by Honda are much more robust under those conditions.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^ THIS. The square-cut sealing rubber tends to distort when over-tightened. The round cross section seals used by Honda are much more robust under those conditions.
Makes sense. I did notice the difference in the gasket. Old dog can learn new tricks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts