Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quoted "Motor Co unveiled on Thursday a new voice-operated car navigation system to be offered on its Accord sedan this autumn, but it lacked the bells and whistles of Toyota Motor Corp's rival system.

Japan's second-largest automaker said its new navigation system, called InterNavi Premium Club, offers regularly updated traffic reports, news, maintenance and other information as well as the ability to e-mail.

"
Detail on
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020829/tc_nm/autos_honda_navigation_dc_1

·
Registered
699 Posts
Whether this is the navi going in to the '03 MDX is the question.

As far as the stuff they describe, the only thing that interests me is traffic reports. However, if they're nothing more than I already get from the radio, that's worth squat. What I'd really like is traffic information integrated into the algorithm that produces my route, as well as integrated onto the map. That would be cool, but somehow it's not what I think they're offering. We'll see.

I don't need email, music downloads, etc. They don't have anything to do with driving -- in fact, they just provide distractions.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Absolutely agree with you.....

jonnygoodboy said:
Whether this is the navi going in to the '03 MDX is the question.

As far as the stuff they describe, the only thing that interests me is traffic reports. However, if they're nothing more than I already get from the radio, that's worth squat. What I'd really like is traffic information integrated into the algorithm that produces my route, as well as integrated onto the map. That would be cool, but somehow it's not what I think they're offering. We'll see.

I don't need email, music downloads, etc. They don't have anything to do with driving -- in fact, they just provide distractions.
......jonnygoodboy. Besides this, I don't think all this is for the U.S. market. It seems aimed at Japan. The average low IQ U.S. customer would much rather pay for chrome wheels on his car than something such as a Navigation System :rolleyes: (that's the reason Navigation systems have been so slow to penetrate the U.S. market :28: whereas they're available as an option on practically all cars from economy to luxury in Europe and Japan

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Re: Absolutely agree with you.....

vicpai said:

....... The average low IQ U.S. customer would much rather pay for chrome wheels on his car than something such as a Navigation System :rolleyes: (that's the reason Navigation systems have been so slow to penetrate the U.S. market :28: whereas they're available as an option on practically all cars from economy to luxury in Europe and Japan
I resemble that.

As a US citizen (customer), I resent it as well.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Vicpai:
The average low IQ U.S. customer would much rather pay for chrome wheels on his car than something such as a Navigation System
___I took offense to your comments and here are a few reasons why.

___I have to wonder what a $2,600 Touring Trim, $2,000 NAVI, and $1,800.00 RES system have over a much more functional Dell Inspirion 8200 laptop, Delorme’s Street Atlas 2003, and an Earthmate GPS receiver connected to it other than that it is built in? Not only can a Laptop of this configuration perform everything as well as or maybe better than your current PC, but it may be almost as good or even better than the 2002’s NAVI w/ SW version 2.05. How about 4.6 million POI as well as the ability to update a particular trip via the web just before you leave? How about a $44.00 price (the SW only) from more than 1 internet SW reseller today? How much do you think it will cost to upgrade this piece of SW next year? $150.00, $200.00, $300.00, $500.00? I would say in the neighborhood of $44.00. I have no idea what you will be charged for an Acura installed NAVI update but I am pretty sure it won’t be $44.00 ;) How about being able to use a GPS receiver of your choice with Street Atlas 2003? You know the kind that you can take from one vehicle to another or on a hiking trip or cruise? I posted a request for this kind of equipment a few weeks ago and it was Sar10 who provided me with the goods. It may behoove many here to take a look instead of possibly wasting $6400.00 on the Touring/NAVI/RES upgrade? The laptop may not be built in but the 15” screen sure looks great playing back DVD’s ;)

___Since you mentioned it, will your Touring rims look that much better than the bases or maybe the Touring’s chromed? Maybe those that like the Touring rims looks are not such stupid Americans after all? I shouldn’t go here but … with the forced Touring purchase just for ability to add NAVI this fall, I have to question what has already been debated here a thousand times. ~ $2600 for the 01/02/03 Touring package? Better looking rims, a roof rack that most probably do not use and cost just $115.00 from Tim anyway. An 8-way power adjust passenger seat that is possibly only adjusted just once or twice for the significant other? I would think the Premium’s std. adjustable seats have suited the average Premium purchasers passengers just fine over the last two years or are the Premium passenger seats that bad? I personally love the drop down mirrors for backing up but not for $2485.00! And finally, the Bose upgrade … This has got to be the lowest quality upgraded audio system I have ever heard in any vehicle! This is the basic price of admission for the 03 X’s before you add $2,000 for the NAVI and maybe $1800.00 for the RES … I almost forgot the Michelin’s. They may indeed be worth a $400.00 premium over the Goodyear Integrity’s.

___Finally, I will be happy to trade my brand new Premium rims (if they look as poor as the 01/02 Premium’s) for your brand new Tourings (if they look as nice as the 01/02 Touring’s) when our vehicles arrive in ~ two months. I believe your NAVI is more important to you than the looks of your X w/ its Touring rims, right? You know me; the stupid American … I would rather have something that looks good than pay an extra $1,100.00 (The Dell laptop w/ SW cost ~ $1500.00) for an over priced Touring trim just so that I have the opportunity to purchase an overpriced NAVI (~ $2,000) and add an overpriced RES (~ $1800) to it as well …

___Let me apologize up front if I have offended any current or future Touring owners. We all have our personal preferences and I most certainly would have purchased the Touring with the nicer looking rims myself if it were not for the excess amount charged for the upgrade …

___Good Luck to you all.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am also offended.

I own a Touring with Navi.

Wow...are those 20s? Cool.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
xcel said:
Hi Vicpai:___I took offense to your comments and here are a few reasons why.
___I have to wonder what a $2,600 Touring Trim, $2,000 NAVI, and $1,800.00 RES system have over a much more functional Dell Inspirion 8200 laptop, Delorme?s Street Atlas 2003, and an Earthmate GPS receiver connected to it other than that it is built in? Not only can a Laptop of this configuration perform everything as well as or maybe better than your current PC, but it may be almost as good or even better than the 2002?s NAVI w/ SW version 2.05. How about 4.6 million POI as well as the ability to update a particular trip via the web just before you leave? How about a $44.00 price (the SW only) from more than 1 internet SW reseller today? How much do you think it will cost to upgrade this piece of SW next year? $150.00, $200.0 0, $300.00, $500.00? I would say in the neighborhood of $44.00. I have no idea what you will be charged for an Acura installed NAVI update but I am pretty sure it won?t be $44.00 ;) How about being able to use a GPS receiver of your choice with Street Atlas 2003? You know the kind that you can take from one vehicle to another or on a hiking trip or cruise? I posted a request for this kind of equipment a few weeks ago and it was Sar10 who provided me with the goods. It may behoove many here to take a look instead of possibly wasting $6400.00 on the Touring/NAVI/RES upgrade? The laptop may not be built in but the 15? screen sure looks great playing back DVD?s ;)

___Since you mentioned it, will your Touring rims look that much better than the bases or maybe the Touring?s chromed? Maybe those that like the Touring rims looks are not such stupid Americans after all? I shouldn?t go here but ? with the forced Touring purchase just for ability to add NAVI this fall, I have to question what has already been debated here a thousand times. ~ $2600 for the 01/02/03 Touring package? Better looking rims, a roof rack that most probably do not use and cost just $115.00 from Tim anyway. An 8-way power adjust passenger seat that is possibly only adjusted just once or twice for the significant other? I would think the Premium?s std. adjustable seats have suited the average Premium purchasers passengers just fine over the last two years or are the Premium passenger seats that bad? I personally love the drop down mirrors for backing up but not for $2485.00! And finally, the Bose upgrade ? This has got to be the lowest quality upgraded audio system I have ever heard in any vehicle! This is the basic price of admission for the 03 X?s before you add $2,000 for the NAVI and maybe $1800.00 for the RES ? I almost forgot the Michelin?s. They may indeed be worth a $400.00 premium over the Goodyear Integrity?s.

___Finally, I will be happy to trade my brand new Premium rims (if they look as poor as the 01/02 Premium?s) for your brand new Tourings (if they look as nice as the 01/02 Touring?s) when our vehicles arrive in ~ two months. I believe your NAVI is more important to you than the looks of your X w/ its Touring rims, right? You know me; the stupid American ? I would rather have something that looks good than pay an extra $1,100.00 (The Dell laptop w/ SW cost ~ $1500.00) for an over priced Touring trim just so that I have the opportunity to purchase an overpriced NAVI (~ $2,000) and add an overpriced RES (~ $1800) to it as well ?

___Let me apologize up front if I have offended any current or future Touring owners. We all have our personal preferences and I most certainly would have purchased the Touring with the nicer looking rims myself if it were not for the excess amount charged for the upgrade ?

___Good Luck to you all.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]
Man Wayne-

those leading underlines are funky...

The "touring issue" was discussed quite a bit. I recall back in Sept 2000 there was a lot of speculation over on edmunds townhall (predates acuramdx.org) over the worth and cost. A lot of us assumed the press's report of "around $1000" was correct and ordered based on that.

I was quite disappointed to find out I couild take it or leave it at 2600. I took it. What the heck, eh?

I still think it is worth $1000. MAYbe $1600.

I don't think you'd get many people defending the VALUE of that option. But certainly it is what the market will bear.

I travel a lot in aircraft. If got a laptop/DVD/poweradapter/noice cancelling head sets. But I am carrying the computer for business also. I've used it for entertainment when driving on a few long trips (don't report me) and found it to be a bit awkward. (or was it driving an watching that was awkward? :))

Given my travels in the X, I'd say that the one or two times a year it is traveling to 'strange territory', I could bring the laptop and invest in a GPS for the pcmcia slot. (and justify the purchase for the company if I use it for biz!)

Then again, like the touring option, there is the gadget factor with the in dash unit and the 'I want it fully loaded" factor (just look at everybody's signature line...)

Ard
PS the memory position is about the ONLY thing we use all the time...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Ardvarkus:

___You should see my multi-thousand posts worth of indents over in the AVScience Home Theater Computers forum!

___I do have to ask … How was your driving while seated in the second row seats to watch the movie :2: I know you wouldn’t have watched the movie from the driver’s seat while tooling down the road now, would you … ;)

___And to be completely honest, I too wish I could swallow the cost and own a fully loaded 03 Touring w/ NAVI and RES. Than again, if someone knows of a lower 48 state located Acura dealer pre-ordering the 03 MDX at just $500 - $1,000 over, I could possibly … There I go dreaming again :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
ardvarkus said:

Ard
PS the memory position is about the ONLY thing we use all the time...
In addition to the memory seat (and mirrors) we also use all the time: Back-up tilt down mirror, 6 disc in dash CD, Michelon Tires, 8 way passanger seat, roof rack (at least will use when snow gets here), and I like the upgraded Bose stereo. The only thing I don't see as a real benefit on the touring package are the rims.

The 8 way passanger seat is a very big plus, can't get comfortable on long trips without it.

The touring/base is a personal thing. For many MDX owners the touring features are very important. In my case I would have not bought the MDX if it was not available with some of the features in the touring package.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi BaldEagle:

___Depending on what the 03 Premium rims look like, would you possibly be interested in some kind of trade?

___As for getting comfortable, the 4 way adjustables lay back like a bed in the few minutes I was in the X’s? That’s how I nap in the mornings after driving the late evening and night shift with the wife driving by day. I wear some really dark sunglasses and 26 - 32 dB foam hearing protection for my naps as well ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Sorry, I didn't intend to offend....

......anyone by that statement. Wow, you guys took my comment too personally. After all, I'm an American too (born and raised in the good old U.S. of A.). I was merely stating the reality of customer preferences here in the U.S. and expressing frustration that we people tend to put TOO MUCH emphasis on SUPERFICIAL things (that's why I used Chrome Rims as an example) as opposed to stuff that is truly useful and not merely for "showing off" ("Show" versus "Substance") ........yes, another example would be the fact that many people will pay several thousands more and buy a Lexus LX 470 for that big "L" when they can get an identical Toyota model, the Landcruiser, with the same appointments for far less.

Wayne, I realize that it's way cheaper to get map software and use it in conjuction with a GPS receiver, but it cannot match the accuracy provided by a built-in Nav system (with a speed sensor and gyroscope in addition to GPS). I also have Street Atlas installed on my Notebook as well as Microsoft Streets & Trips 2002. As far s the 4.6 million POIs go, I don't seem to be able to sort them by distance effectively, making them of no use at all to me. Am I missing something?? (for example, if I input my current Latitude and Longitude, I'm unable to ask it for, say, the nearest Radio Shacks to my location)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Please ignore my earlier question.....

........just realized my version of Delorme Street Atlas is not 2003, but last year's version

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
xcel said:
Hi BaldEagle:

___Depending on what the 03 Premium rims look like, would you possibly be interested in some kind of trade?

___As for getting comfortable, the 4 way adjustables lay back like a bed in the few minutes I was in the X’s? That’s how I nap in the mornings after driving the late evening and night shift with the wife driving by day. I wear some really dark sunglasses and 26 - 32 dB foam hearing protection for my naps as well ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]
Rims....I don't dislike the looks of the touring rims. I just meant to say that of all the items on the touring package they were the only thing that did not add a useful feature for me, and they are no better than the base, just look different. When we get a look at the 03 rims drop me a line, I have about 3 coats of Zaino on the 02 rims so it may be hard to part with them.

8 way seat.....The way my body is shaped I have a difficult time getting my legs comfortable in many vehicles. The 8 way seat allows me to change the angles, height, to overcome this problem. The TL and even the RL do not come with this option and even though we really liked them dropped both from our list because of uncomfortable passenger seat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts