Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Only dealer fix I would accept is glass replacement. My super glue fix (Gorilla Glue) held fine for a week of driving on the highways. I would do that over taping.

I just sold the MDX yesterday and told the dealer about the issue and superglue and they were fine with it.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
509 Posts
Only dealer fix I would accept is glass replacement. My super glue fix (Gorilla Glue) held fine for a week of driving on the highways. I would do that over taping.

I just sold the MDX yesterday and told the dealer about the issue and superglue and they were fine with it.
Sold it? As in traded it back in?

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
289 Posts
I was inspecting my moonroof today, and the piece that people are referring to is plastic?

It's not flexible on my roof, and shows no sign of budging, not that I tried to break it.

I assumed that the broke piece people were referring to was rubber since everyone referred to it as a seal...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was inspecting my moonroof today, and the piece that people are referring to is plastic?

It's not flexible on my roof, and shows no sign of budging, not that I tried to break it.

I assumed that the broke piece people were referring to was rubber since everyone referred to it as a seal...
Yes,it appears to be hard plastic. Mine looks fine so far but its at the top of my list of things to watch out for.

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,641 Posts
Good for you man. Not worth the hassle for the price you paid in my opinion. To each their own. Are you getting anything else, or do have you a car you drive for now?
See:
Just sold the MDX. It was clear from getting online quotes from Carvana, etc that most systems don't know what to make of the Type S based on the offers around $60-65k. I even had some offers that clearly thought it was an Advance ($57k). Fortunately the dealer I bought it from gave me a solid price. I really liked the vehicle but I wanted to get out now while the value was still inflated and cut my losses.

I'm picking up a Hyundai Ioniq 5 in two weeks. I had been toying with going electric even before the MDX but wasn't ready to make the leap until recently. I like that it's unique looking and in demand. People are paying over sticker for one.

I know going from a Type S to that is a big downgrade, but another reason I'm doing it is that I have a deposit on a G63 that I'm hoping to get within the next year, so having that and the Type S seemed like overkill. Plus Mercedes just jacked up MSRP by $22k, so I'm decreasing my vehicle cost correspondingly. By going cheaper I can get rid of an auto loan, and the $7,500 tax credit will cover all my losses from the MDX.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yeah it’s a flexible plastic piece. When it detached it sags. Kinda feels rubbery but not.

·
Registered
2009 MDX Bali Blue, 2022 MDX Type S Advance on order
62 Posts
I bought a Lexus. They are still built in Japan and the quality is so much better than the Acura.
Wow. Love such a definitive stance. Bet you'd find many people saying Acura's are the best they've ever had. I've got 1 of each in my garage + a 1990's Toyota and I have to say that all three have been basically bulletproof. I'm dealing with a transfer case issue on the IS250 but that's the worst it has been for 11 years on that thing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Anyone have this experience? The rubber seal that is attached (glued?) to the moonroof has separated.

Call into dealer service is saying full warranty replace of the window (w/ seal).

Air comes in when driving, whistles down the highway!

Don’t mind the dirty roof…have been worried that the window would leak during a wash!
View attachment 121142
First of all that is how water is kept out. Actually all of the moon roofs leak like a sieve. There is a 360 degree rain gutter under the perimeter of glass. There are usually 4 separate ''downspouts'', one for each corner that carry the water from the gutter to the street. I'd be tempted to glue the seal myself owing to the crummy repair services most of us experience now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My type S has the exact same problem! Took it to the dealer and apparently they want to replace the whole moonroof, which is on backorder due to part shortages. I used some thin double sided tape to stick it back in place and it seems to be fine.

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
289 Posts
Fixing this by replacing thr sunroof is pretty dumb imo. I understand why they want to do it but there are no parts.

My brother is an expert in composites bonding, I'll ask him this weekend what adhesive he would use for this scenario. The one thing I know he will say is that surface prep is the main factor in successful bonding. Since one piece is glass, only the plastic can be sufficiently preped on the vehicle.

I know acura is talking a big game with the "it could void the warranty" thing but that's just bluster. If their proposed solution is to replace the panel, how could they rationally tell you that you can't do something to the one they are throwing in the trash? (It's likely that they want to use your broken sunroof to analyze the problem! Like they can't figure out their glue isn't working on their own)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fixing this by replacing thr sunroof is pretty dumb imo. I understand why they want to do it but there are no parts.

My brother is an expert in composites bonding, I'll ask him this weekend what adhesive he would use for this scenario. The one thing I know he will say is that surface prep is the main factor in successful bonding. Since one piece is glass, only the plastic can be sufficiently preped on the vehicle.

I know acura is talking a big game with the "it could void the warranty" thing but that's just bluster. If their proposed solution is to replace the panel, how could they rationally tell you that you can't do something to the one they are throwing in the trash? (It's likely that they want to use your broken sunroof to analyze the problem! Like they can't figure out their glue isn't working on their own)
I tried to argue a similar point at the dealer, but their response was that this was the only approved fix from Acura.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yet another reason for waiting for year two if you want to buy. Lease a first year if you don’t have to buy and wait to see if things improve as they should. That said, the Gen 3 was never really right until the end.

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
289 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about it long term, some glue or if toleances allow the thin double sided tape with a stranded nylon substrate will be the fix.

In the short term, pain in the ass.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would think if the dealer has documented and ordered new glass, it wouldn’t matter how you temporarily fix it. Unless it is not getting trashed but returned. Most likely the glass and seal is a complete assembly from a sub supplier, that company could be on the hook for the replacement. I looked at our 2021 crv we got last July, it has a totally different seal system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have this experience? The rubber seal that is attached (glued?) to the moonroof has separated.

Call into dealer service is saying full warranty replace of the window (w/ seal).

Air comes in when driving, whistles down the highway!

Don’t mind the dirty roof…have been worried that the window would leak during a wash!
View attachment 121142
I have the same problem. Had a lot of wind noise and they said it was a broken seal. Waiting now for replacement to arrive. Car had only 200 miles and now this problem.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts