Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this experience? The rubber seal that is attached (glued?) to the moonroof has separated.

Call into dealer service is saying full warranty replace of the window (w/ seal).

Air comes in when driving, whistles down the highway!

Don’t mind the dirty roof…have been worried that the window would leak during a wash!
Light Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Check out 'Hodog's' post partway down this thread -

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
278 Posts
I'll take a look at the mechanism in the morning, but I'm 90% sure this failure is from shear loading when the roof pops up when it is opened. If we lubricate the seal contact face it should mitigate the tear that happens for a time.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I never opened my roof. It happened in retrospect when I was driving on the highway but roof was closed.

There’s like another 3-4 people who posted the same issue on the Facebook group in the past week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OP here. About 1000 miles in and can count on one hand the number of times it has been opened.

Any thoughts on the H2O issue? I need to drive a fair amount before I can get to the dealer and would love to not have to time trips around the weather.

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
278 Posts
Wait really... this happened to people who never open their roof?

Ok thats a new one. How can a seal detach like that if it isn't moving?

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
503 Posts
Mine hasn’t detached, but I think my pasty-white-easily-sunburned-head has had it opened twice in 13k miles? Normally just retract the sunroof shade if my daughter requests it.

maybe this is just a bad rash of parts if the guys who bought back in July and August aren’t experiencing this?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
What I've read is it's a known bad adhesive and the replacement glass has a different material or at least looks different, so Acura has recognized the defect. My guess is driving with the roof open would accelerate the issue but if it's a bad adhesive it could just be a matter of time. Mine occurred with about 2000 miles or so in.

I ended up just supergluing it back. Looks fine and no more noise.

I was worried about a leak but if you open the roof and look around you can see how the water channels divert it out of the cabin. Mine was in a parking lot during a torrential rainstorm and no water was in the cabin at least.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
503 Posts
Acura quality control is really bad, this will be my first and last Acura
And that’s the super sad part. All they have to do is put some reputable QA in place and they’ve got a dynamite vehicle. Just one thing, that’s a pretty common practice in the industry, they just need to be better at it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Hodog16 going to give that route a go. Will super glue this afternoon and wait for the part!

Have to do about 600 miles next week and really don’t want to have all the stray dogs chasing me down the road as I whistle by.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
@Hodog16 going to give that route a go. Will super glue this afternoon and wait for the part!

Have to do about 600 miles next week and really don’t want to have all the stray dogs chasing me down the road as I whistle by.
Yes no way I'd want to drive 600 miles with that wind noise present!

I did about an inch at a time and held it in place before moving to the next section. Just make sure you get the top lined up when you hold it in place.

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
278 Posts

I may be too late, but there are glues that are meant for gluing flexible things together, I dont think cyanoacrylate is the best option even if it may suffice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got my delivery a week ago and was on a trip.
Drove the car for the first time yesterday and had too much wind noise coming from the sunroof. Opened the sunroof and have the exact same issue.
New car with 30 miles on it.

Found this forum while googling for this issue.

Hopefully the dealer can fix it before a big roadtrip I have coming up next week.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts