Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I recently ordered my new MDX with a few of the gizmos that Acura offers. The moon roof visor was the only one I really had a question on. According to the salesman, it cuts down interior wind turbulence, prevents glare, and suppose to give the MDX a "sharper image". I think my MDX will look just fine without the visor.
My question is: Is wind turbulence and glare a problem with the roof down, enough so to warrant purchasing the visor? Are there draw backs to the visor? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
715 Posts
cca, yep, it gives the MDX a "sharper image" IMO and cuts down a bit on the wind noise when the sunroof is open all the way.

When the sunroof is in popup mode, I haven't seen any difference in wind noise, it is still noisy with the wind hitting the roof rack cross bar right at the entrance to the sunroof.

It is so cheap....I think $80 or so from Tim, and you can install it yourself (and remove it easily if you don't like it). I'd recommend trying it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
On the down side...

cca:

There have been posts here about the visor's rubber seal etching into the clear coat on the MDX. The explanation I recall was that even with diligent cleaning under the seal, microscopic dirt and grime vibrate the visor as you drive, slowly grinding away the coat.

Although we don't have our MDX yet, we do have an Accord with a sunroof visor and I've noticed the "image" of the visor seal on the roof, especially at the corners.

Then again, if you always keep the visor on (and wax frequently), you'll never notice it.

- ablank

·
Registered
446 Posts
Visor

It does cut the glare but that depends on where the sun is. We really don't open the roof all that often but when we do I don’t think the noise is too bad. We don't have the rack and the visor and deflector does add a little to the roof. I'm sure it does mark up the paint but like ablank said I don't plan on taking it off.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insightful replies. This is the type of info that would not be available from a dealer. It is great there is a site where so many people are obviously very enthusiastic about their MDX's. I don't have the intention of taking off the M/R visor. So not much point worrying about scuffing up the clear coat in a place it can't be seen. cca :)

By the way who is Tim? Is he the resident accessory salesman?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yes, Tim da man from hondacuraworld, moderator, supplier to the masses, etc. etc.....he not the Wizard from scene 24 of Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail.

Many references to him thruout this site. Good products. Good Serivce. Good Prices. Good Advice. What more can you ask for?:)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Tim

Tim is the parts manager for an Acura dealer in western NY. Check out his prices on his web site then call your dealer and you will see why he is mentioned all over this board!

Tim Poliniak
Cheektowaga, NY (near Buffalo)
Ray Laks Honda/Acura/Daewoo/

www.hondacuraworld.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow ! What a difference. Hondacuraworld prices are an easy 40% less than what my dealer is offering. Now if he could only sell MDX's at that mark down, he would really have a market. Thanks for the link, Niles and Octavain. cca:cool:

·
Registered
522 Posts
My MDX came with it and ultimately I got rid of it. It does reduce glare slightly with the roof open and reduces turbulance slightly with the roof open, but it increases noise with the roof closed, is hard on the piant in the area where it rests, and I simply did not like the looks of it from outside. Since I rarely open the roof, I didn't think the trade-off was worth it. YMMV of course.

cca said:
Hello everyone, I recently ordered my new MDX with a few of the gizmos that Acura offers. The moon roof visor was the only one I really had a question on. According to the salesman, it cuts down interior wind turbulence, prevents glare, and suppose to give the MDX a "sharper image". I think my MDX will look just fine without the visor.
My question is: Is wind turbulence and glare a problem with the roof down, enough so to warrant purchasing the visor? Are there draw backs to the visor? Thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
mogur
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing