Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the X about three months now. Great vehicle, but one little pet peeve. I have inadvertenly left the moon roof open in the tilt position, overnight,on two occasions. Luckily, both were clear and dry evenings.

Anyone else think there should be a warning buzzer if you shut off the engine and leave the moon roof open?

I fear that one of these mornings I will be opening the X and finding a small swimming pool inside:(

Maybe I am just getting forgetful in my old age:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's really strange how Acura put in certain luxury features in the MDX, but not others. One-touch open and close for the moonroom is pretty common on non-luxury cars. An auto UP on at least the driver's window, as well. Maybe, they'll add this to the next version, but not much good to us, though....

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey mdxpursuit. Don't sweat it to much. It's the same moon roof I had on the Acura TL. It has a little drop down piece & a rain catch inside, so It's never real bad unless the wind blows it straight into the open area. An alarm would be good 2:D

·
Registered
616 Posts
mdxpursuit said:
Anyone else think there should be a warning buzzer if you shut off the engine and leave the moon roof open?
Isn't it common to leave the moonroof partially open on hot days to help keep the interior cool? If this was a personal habit, having to listen to some buzzer or alarm each time would get annoying very quickly. Just another case of "you say potayto, I say potahto".

·
Registered
570 Posts
re: Moon Roof blues- donsev

It probably wouldn't be bad, if it came on ONLY after turning the ignition switch to, say ACC1 or ACC2. An override switch to turn off if not wanted would make it super!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It should just have a rain sensor and close itself when needed.

Why do we have to think up all these common sense things for Acura? :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
ghost ... I have three possible reasons why Honda didn't implement your "auto close on wet" suggestion:

(1) How would one wash the interior? With the current design, you can run it through a car wash and and wash outside and inside at the same time.

(2) Too straight forward and logical, rather improve upon the TL cup holder design.

(3) Honda too busy trying to figure out how to make the driver window perform auto-up.

:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
The best solution to the problem of the moon roof is to park the "poor baby" in the garage at night:) I keep mine open almost all the time and would find a warning buzzer VERY annoying:mad: . But the auto open and close would be WONDERFUL.:D If Ford can do it so can Honda/Acura.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The design will prevent water damage.

There is a tray around the opening with drainage tubes that run down the inside of the A and/or C pillars. Even if water flowed in, it would run into the tray and drain out. Water that hits the top of the glass would run down into the tray and out these same tubes.

Only a driving rain in the direction of the opening would get any significant water inside.

You can test it by opening to the vent position and dumping water on top of the glass. You should see water puddling under the car, but very little on the interior.

But, even if your interior gets wet, it won't hurt it. I have convertibles with leather interiors that have been caught in major rainstorms. It wipes off and dries out perfectly.

Of course, if you are made of sugar or related to the Wicked Witch of the West, don't sit in a puddle....you might not fair as well as the MDX.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You know, It sounds like you're asking Honda to make this vehicle "Idiot Proof". If you don't have a garage, check to make sure all is secure when parking. :mad:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
pdd ... I resemble that remark :D :D :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know, It sounds like you're asking Honda to make this vehicle "Idiot Proof"
Hey PDD....considering the source, I don't think the goal has been achieved as yet.:D :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Dummy Proof

In the past I laugh at people who left their turn light on while they drive down the road. Guess what? The MDX is so quiet even the turn buzzier is made as such a low volume. I notice from time to time my turn light stays blinking without me knowing it. Others probably said I am an idiot.

The moon roof scenario is in the same boat. If you take advantage of the tilt open, it is no difference from having your top open with a convertible. You take your small chance when it rains. It won't be that bad anyway. Otherwise, keep all windows and roof shot! The air conditioner works great so the car really cool down quickly.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
BTW for 10 mins after you turn off the car and remove the keys from the ignition you can close all windows. If you open a door you need to put the key in to be able to close the windows

·
Registered
219 Posts
Geez, the things I do for you guys.....

Okay, I inadvertently tested taking the MDX through a power carwash with the sunroof open in the vent position.

Take it on good authority that even buckets full of water will not get the interior wet when sprayed directly down onto the roof.

But, that blow dryer is a killer.....all of the water on the roof was blown back into the vent and doused me pretty soundly.

I don't recommend doing that.

But, I meant to do that, yeah, that's the ticket....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
merrillcrosbie,

Thanks for the feedback on the moon roof -- sorta figured one might get a tad bit wet -- appreciate your willingness to submit the hypothesis to a real world test :D

You do have an interesting collection of vehicles ... take good care of them

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hey

I felt the pain, I left the Sunroof of my MDX open one night. It was nice and moist inside for the next few days. But i didn't Mildew because i got to it soon. It didn't mess anything up. I just felt kinda nasty in there for alittle

·
Registered
29 Posts
Moonroof Deflector & Buzzer

I am considering purchasing an '03. The idea of a buzzer would drive me crazy. Doesn't a remote control button close all the windows and doors if you hold it down?

I like to leave my sunroof open here in Kali Sur. In my '92 4-Runner I'd leave the roof slightly open most of the time and let the water escape thru the drain if it was drizzling (yes, if it was RAINING in California I'd close it).

Anyhow... I had a Moonroof Deflector on my 4-Runner that made a big difference in cutting down the windnoise. Do any of you have that accessory and can you recommend it? I am not looking for NO noise but I am wondering if it cuts the noise down especially if you have the rear windows slightly open while driving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts