Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2017 Acura MDX AWD Base
Hi all - hoping to get some replies on this.
No cruise control. LKA, brake system, lane departure warning lights all flashing.
Dealer said monocular camera was faulty, I was already out of warranty, mileage over 50k.

Quoted $1300 for replacement.
I have been fishing around online and actually came across one on eBay.
Questions here are:
Is this plug and play?
Will it need to go to dealer anyway to calibrate?

BTW, I do now have an extended warranty and tried to take it to see if they would file a claim for it, but of course they wouldn't, said it was physically damaged and that's total BS!

Any info on this would be great - thanks in advance.

Lola.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
said it was physically damaged
This part s/b easy to validate. If they say it was physically damaged ask them how they determined that and if you think it wasn't then dispute it. Most people don't go near the camera unless they have a windshield replaced, in which case the physical damage might be possible. Did you have the windshield replaced? It's also possible to be in that area if it was taken apart to try to tap power from it for a dashcam or radar detector or something. Was that done?

Normally the function needs to be calibrated if there's any disturbance to it, such as a windshield replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, tinted the windshield back when I first purchased, no disturbance to the housing. It is right under. Had no issues for two years, if it was damaged back then I would've had the problem earlier. They quoted $470 to just calibrate if I purchase my own part, I may have to bite the bullet. ?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Tinted the windshield? brave brave soul…. That is a very expensive ticket waiting to happen, regardless of the added hazards of reducing your vision at night.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tinted the windshield? brave brave soul…. That is a very expensive ticket waiting to happen, regardless of the added hazards of reducing your vision at night.
I have mine tinted also. There is a small line on the outer edge, about 5 inches down from top, that marks how far down you can tint. It is legal and does not block vision, only some sun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Why do people like to give free advice for the question now one ask. Discussion Starter just want to know about monocular camera issues. If you cannot help the just move on.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I have mine tinted also. There is a small line on the outer edge, about 5 inches down from top, that marks how far down you can tint. It is legal and does not block vision, only some sun.
Ohh so you only tinted over the obscured portion of the windshield?...
Tinted windshield gave me the impression of full windshield coverage.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Why do people like to give free advice for the question now one ask. Discussion Starter just want to know about monocular camera issues. If you cannot help the just move on.
Pretty IRONIC comment.

Reactions: jcat

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for your reply, tinted the windshield back when I first purchased, no disturbance to the housing. It is right under. Had no issues for two years, if it was damaged back then I would've had the problem earlier. They quoted $470 to just calibrate if I purchase my own part, I may have to bite the bullet. ?
Be careful if you install a used part unless it’s somehow tested before installation and calibration. Chances are the dealer could possibly charge you for a failed calibration if they don’t supply the part.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ohh so you only tinted over the obscured portion of the windshield?...
Tinted windshield gave me the impression of full windshield coverage.
Mine is tinted completely, it keeps the heat down and interior more protected. That being said, without me telling you, if you were to get into the car and look thru it, you wouldn’t even know. It’s not that dark. It also helped slightly with the weird waves you get in these newer windshields, like clown mirrors :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if it will be any help, but I had all those lights and then some come on after I started my 2014 MDX after it was sitting about 2 weeks at the airport parking. My instrument panel was like a Christmas Tree. Drover home, disconnected battery for the night, connected it in the morning and all lights were gone. I assume it was because of the partially discharged battery.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine is tinted completely, it keeps the heat down and interior more protected. That being said, without me telling you, if you were to get into the car and look thru it, you wouldn’t even know. It’s not that dark. It also helped slightly with the weird waves you get in these newer windshields, like clown mirrors :).
Almost all 50 states only allow tint strips of top 4-6" on windshield, regardless of light transmission rate. Only 3 states' regulation requires "no more than 70%" - not sure exactly what that means though, which are Hawaii, Ohio and No Dakota. No tinting is allowed at all in MN, NJ & PA.

Some medical exception is allowed with valid proof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure if it will be any help, but I had all those lights and then some come on after I started my 2014 MDX after it was sitting about 2 weeks at the airport parking. My instrument panel was like a Christmas Tree. Drover home, disconnected battery for the night, connected it in the morning and all lights were gone. I assume it was because of the partially discharged battery.
Hmmmm, I've tried disconnecting battery, but never overnight, it's worth a shot. Thank you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts