Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a similar problem posted in the knowledge base but was wondering if this is a common problem. After washing, drying and cleaning the front door windows inside and out, it's really frustrating to put either window down and when it's rolled back up, the whole window has a lot of water/moisture on the INSIDE of the glass. Today I put the front passenger window down and up 2 days after a wash, and again there was a lot of moisture on the inside. The knowledge base post I read indicated that a dealer said this was a "feature" they couldn't do any thing about. I've owned a lot of cars and have never seen this before. Is this a standard "feature"?

'02 Blk/Touring

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Beachman said:
I saw a similar problem posted in the knowledge base but was wondering if this is a common problem. After washing, drying and cleaning the front door windows inside and out, it's really frustrating to put either window down and when it's rolled back up, the whole window has a lot of water/moisture on the INSIDE of the glass. Today I put the front passenger window down and up 2 days after a wash, and again there was a lot of moisture on the inside. The knowledge base post I read indicated that a dealer said this was a "feature" they couldn't do any thing about. I've owned a lot of cars and have never seen this before. Is this a standard "feature"?

'02 Blk/Touring
Hello there-

Because cars today have electric windows...The wheels and spindles that move the glass up and down have porous rollers and sometimes even have cloth as part of the material on the rollers that would move the glass up and down. Because of this...when washing a car or when the car has been in wet climates...rolling the windows up and down causes this wet streaks. This is consider normal. There isn't anything that you can do about it. My other recommendation is after washing the car...if it is a nice sunny day...leave the car in the warm climate so the drying inside the doors will be faster.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've never had this problem on the inside . But so far, I've been lucky...no thud, no weeping mirrors, no fuzzy seats, etc. (knock on plastic wood). :p

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hmmm....Fireblade must know his/her wheels and spindles....I don't have a clue what is inside the door, but I agree....rule of thumb is never roll down your window after it is washed.....until such time as you think all the water has dried up inside the door.

But I am stumped with the Beachman's moisture on the INSIDE of the window. I have always gotten it on the outside....many cars and the MDX. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
moisture films

There have been a couple posts on this, although they were usually tangled up with weeping mirror threads. Here's a clip of DMor's take on this from a post back in September:

I have noticed some moisture on the inside, first 1/3 of my window if I roll it down after a rain or wash. My theory is that each side of the the window seals actually touch and transfer water when the window is down. If you stick your fingers in there, you'll notice that the seal forms a "V" on each side. The inside of the "V" (seal) has a water absorbing material on the glass side. AND because it's a "V" shape, I believe it naturally catches water (as designed) and could transfer water if the sides touch.

I don't notice as much water along the top inside of the window, but I sometimes DO notice it along the inside 1/3 as mentioned. I believe this is because the top portion of the glass itself does a better job of separating the seal because it's closer to the top. The further the glass recesses into the door (as in first 1/3 of the window curve) the better the opportunity for the seals to KISS and transfer water because the glass is not present to separate the seal.

I haven't checked, but suspect there's little or no problem with this in the back windows, since the windows don't go all the way down in the first place (unfortunately).

I doubt much water is actually getting into the door itself. I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fireblade6...Thanks for input on what's inside electric windows. I replaced a BMW 540 with the MDX and also have had 2 Saabs with electric windows and have never had the moisture on the inside with these other cars. I think I'll see what the local dealer has to say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Beachman
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing