Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turns out it is a lot easier to modify a Yakima Sky Box than it is to move the cross bars on the 2014 MDX factory rails and roof rack. See attached picture with long Yakima box attached and back door open.

For those of you searching for information on how to move the 2014 MDX cross bars forward, the answer is YOU CAN'T. Trust me, they don't move. I modified a Yakima Sky Box using a cordless circular saw. It is really easy. All you do is cut the slots on the Sky Box toward the back. (might work on a Thule box. Please comment if you know).

Here's how I did it:

1. Take the clamp brackets completely out of the Skybox. The plastic strips that cover the slot will come off too.
2. Mark the slot edges for cutting (i.e., draw two lines for each slot extending it toward the back). The back slots need to be 4.5 inches longer and the front slots need to be 9 inches longer. I used a crayon and a square to make the markings. Crayon works better than a marker on the black plastic. The picture with the ruler and crayon has the front slot marked for cutting. Hard to see, but it's there.
3. Take a circular saw and make two cuts on the sides of each slot. Just break off the center strip that remains hanging and you have an extended slot. The picture with just the saw shows a close up of the cuts before breaking off the "hanging chad".
4. Re-assemble the brackets in the extended slots.

Caution, the center of gravity of the box changes. You'll want to load the back half of the box more than the front. If you're mathematically challenged, this modification may not be for you.

The box isn't level. I'm thinking about building a 3/4 inch spacer for the back brackets to level the box. Maybe I'll CAD something up. I could also add a center post with a rubber bottom to the front to stabilize it. We'll see...

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally found your post after trying to figure something out for my 2016 with factory rack and now I'm thinking of modifying my Thule Evolution. So hard to find a long enough box (to fit 201cm skis) that will also clear the rear hatch and the antenna fin (the Yakima rocket box pro 11 might but it's much smaller).

Wondering if by modifying your box you noticed any stability issues as you now have more box hanging over the windshield or beyond the front bar?

Also what did you figure out regarding the spears to level the box?

·
Registered
2018 MDX Advance SH-AWD Black Copper Pearl/Espresso
61 Posts
Turns out it is a lot easier to modify a Yakima Sky Box than it is to move the cross bars on the 2014 MDX factory rails and roof rack. See attached picture with long Yakima box attached and back door open.

For those of you searching for information on how to move the 2014 MDX cross bars forward, the answer is YOU CAN'T. Trust me, they don't move. I modified a Yakima Sky Box using a cordless circular saw. It is really easy. All you do is cut the slots on the Sky Box toward the back. (might work on a Thule box. Please comment if you know).

Here's how I did it:

1. Take the clamp brackets completely out of the Skybox. The plastic strips that cover the slot will come off too.
2. Mark the slot edges for cutting (i.e., draw two lines for each slot extending it toward the back). The back slots need to be 4.5 inches longer and the front slots need to be 9 inches longer. I used a crayon and a square to make the markings. Crayon works better than a marker on the black plastic. The picture with the ruler and crayon has the front slot marked for cutting. Hard to see, but it's there.
3. Take a circular saw and make two cuts on the sides of each slot. Just break off the center strip that remains hanging and you have an extended slot. The picture with just the saw shows a close up of the cuts before breaking off the "hanging chad".
4. Re-assemble the brackets in the extended slots.

Caution, the center of gravity of the box changes. You'll want to load the back half of the box more than the front. If you're mathematically challenged, this modification may not be for you.

The box isn't level. I'm thinking about building a 3/4 inch spacer for the back brackets to level the box. Maybe I'll CAD something up. I could also add a center post with a rubber bottom to the front to stabilize it. We'll see...
Are you using a Skybox 16? According to Yakima website, the units manufactured after May 2020 have 5" of additional hatch clearance. Do you think that would do the trick without modification?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just bought a used Skybox 16 / smooth Black (not the dimpled carbonite - the QC date code is from 2013) and for what its worth, it works on a 2015 MDX - using a new Yakima Bar set-up (Skyline towers and JetStream Bars). it only has about 1/4" clearance when the tails up - but it does work without any modifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts