Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Acura MDX Touring Billet Silver Metallic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone with personal experience give me guidance/opinions when looking for 1st Gen MDX with Navi vs without? Looking to buy another 1st Gen MDX but I don’t know if I should avoid NAV altogether or if it won’t matter much. (I know some of the earlier systems had the HVAC controls on the Navi screen and no redundant buttons which could cause expensive issues of Navi stops working correctly).

·
Registered
208 Posts
The navigation functionality is pretty terrible on multiple levels. But I enjoy the moving map.

If Navi alone quits working then it shouldn't cause issues with hvac. But if the display unit quits working you wouldn't have manual control of hvac. You still have physical temp buttons, and front and rear defrost buttons. I almost exclusively use those so I wouldn't care if the display went dead.

Personally having Navi or not would have zero impact on my buying preference between two MDX. There is going to be enough differences in mileage, condition, price or documented service history to sway my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would get the navigation model for backup camera alone. Our 14 year-old Navi MDX is still in the family, and knock on wood, no issues thus far.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My 06 backup camera is junk, but for its day I'm sure it was pretty good. I can almost never use it.

If it is overcast it works.

At night it is hard to tell what you are looking at even with LED backup bulbs (partly due to the auto dimming screen feature that should go back to high when using the backup camera), because the rest of the time not using the auto dimming the screen brightness scalds your eyes.

If it is sunny out, forgeddaboutit. There is too much screen glare to see anything at all. I've tried shielding my eyes and getting 6 inches from the screen and it is still invisible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts