Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...how about it...? worth it ? or should we just let the dealers use the honda standar?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
search on sythetic oil

it has been hammered out, with advocates of Amsoil, Mobile1, mineral oil et cetera...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Stumpie

I have always used Mobil 1 on my 01 X. As for a difference, I see no outward signs, it is just bettere for your engine..

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just changed my car over to Mobil 1 and am planning on changing our 'X to it as well. While I've never used it before, I know plenty of people who swear by it. Also, most of the German imports (BMW, M-B, Porsche) use it from the factory so it can't be that bad...:)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mobil 1

I spent a lot of years working with the folks at GM Tech Center and they absolutely love the stuff. Very highly recommended. I used it in all my cars since the 70's. I used 5w-30 and in the cold country I'm from you could really notice the difference on those 30 below AM's. At the Tech Center I say test done on engines with and w/o, no question about the performance. I'd use it if it cost $10/qt.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mobil 1

Called my dealer yesterday to schedule the first (3,750 miles) oil change and that I wanted to use Mobil 1, 5W-30. Their response was that I should not use Mobil 1 before 10,000 miles because it might cause the piston rings to seat improperly and destroy the engine. They claim this has already happened with some of their customers; and that if I chose to use Mobil 1 it would be indicated on the service report with a warning of maybe adversely affecting the warranty.

The dealer is Pohanka in VA. Anybody else have this kind of resistance? They use Honda 5W-20 in the MDX.

·
Registered
331 Posts
R Stevens:

They're full of it, HOWEVER, giving the threat situation I'd just go with the standard oil until you get 10k on it. I've always changed at the to Mobil 1 at the first oil change (7500 miles). I'd guess the only REAL problem is that they don't handle Mobil 1 and thus won't make a profit.

The rumor you mentioned about not using it for breakin has gone around the inducstry for years. It started because some of the lubrication engineers that first tested Mobil 1 noted how clean the oil was at each oil change and the significant difference in wear of major parts between Mobil 1 and standard oils. It's remotely possible that the breakin period, which really doesn't exist with newer engines, could be extened slightly. Saying that an engine failed due to using it is the real BS.

A couple of thousand miles isn't going to make any difference, so I'd just go along with them.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Two issues! (maybe three)

First, Mobile1 ( and just about every other synthetic motor oil) IS GREAT STUFF. It is more slippery than mineral based oil. It flows better when cold. It is virtually impossible to overheat/coke the synthetics. It clings better to spinning parts.

BUT, it has a DIFFERENT viscosity profile than the mineral based oils. I suspect that with modern Honda VTEC engines, this is not as big a deal as it may have been 20 years ago, but still the FACTORY does use special break-in oil, given that I would be reluctant to use anything other than the factory recommended oil change interval(s) until the vehicle had a year or so worth of mileage (10-15K).

Seperate question to consider -- is the PREMIUM PRICE of a snythetic worth it in a vehicel under warranty? For my money the answer is NO... After warranty expire, it begs a different question -- if the vehilcle did fine up to this point on mineral oils, is the synth justified? My answer: MAYBE. Assuming the seals are still nice and leak free (synthetics still tend to leak past factory seals more so than mineral based lube) I would feel good about the quicker 'initial start-up' pumpabilty of snyth & the fact that older motors tend to show better MPG gains from synthetics than new motors ...

FINALLY, I think the benefits or snythetics are REAL, and I wish companies like Honda would "get with the program" and switch over from mineral based lubes.I think in some markets (around the globe) synthetics oils are kind of a novelty. Not so in the USA, ALL the major companies market/manufacture snyths and even brand-X oil change shops offer at least one brand or another. My hunch is that in the next 5-10 years we will seem mineral based oils looked at as the quaint relics of the past, like floor mounted high-beam switches...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Two issues! (maybe three)

renov8r said:
I would be reluctant to use anything other than the factory recommended oil change interval(s) until the vehicle had a year or so worth of mileage (10-15K).

I changed to Mobil 1 at my first oil change which was about 4200 mi. Oil consumption is '0' as far as checking it on the dipstick.
But my mileage has gone up a good 5 or 6% since that time. Also, the engine does feel a bit more free revving. I now have 8000 miles. So there is some evidence the engine is still breaking in.
Although HP sports car engines (Corvettes, Porsches, bimmers, etc.) are supposedly 'run in' at the factory, I am sure they are still undergoing some break-in on the street with their sumps factory filled with Mobil 1.
So I doubt it makes that much difference. The worst scenario is that it will take just a little longer to wear in.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Re: Two issues! (maybe three)

renov8r said:
like floor mounted high-beam switches...
LOL....I have not thought about those in years....my oldest is 25, I'm sure she doesn't know what one is.:8:

I agree that the cost justification probably isn’t there while the vehicle is under warranty or if you leasing and or only keeping it 4 to 5 years.

Niles

·
Registered
331 Posts
Allison:

Interesting, until a couple of years ago Allsion transmission would not approve using snythetic in their transmissions. After some research they now will guaranty the trany for about twice the number of miles if you use snythetic tranmission oil.

The viscosity is not different, 5w-30 must meet the specs of SAE whatever it is. The lubricity is different. The guys at the Tech Center put it in their cars at the first oil change. I've done the same to my 928, LS400, 2 Jeep GC V8's, Supra and at least 3 cars before that.

The question of seal material was a problem way back in the old days. Seal material has changed significantly plus shaft finish that the seals run on is much better that it was before the new engine building techniques. Leakage is not a problem.

I'm sure that in the owners manual Honda/Acura specify a certain standard SAE grade that must be meet or exceeded. While I haven't read the MDX manual, I'm pretty certain they don't spec anything other than a SAE spec. As long as you use oil that meets the specs in the owners manual they can not void your warranty.

The reason's I use Mobil 1; better cold weather starting, better protection for the engine in high temps, longer life under sevre conditions and somewhat better mileage and just a touch more power. The increased cost of $2.00 per quart, which is maybe $10 an oil change is well worth it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
From what I recall, the seal material (and it's reaction to synthetics) was the biggest factor in leakage, but also reformulations of newer synthetics oils are closer to the mineral oil in compatibility for this particular quality.

I don't believe any vehicle manufacturers restrict the use of synthetics in motor oil vehicles any more, but Honda/Acura limits your choice of ATF to their own, as there is no 'known' equivalent.
RobSJ on a related topic suggested the addition of a hypoid additive might be part of the reason, as the ATF in the MDX does also lube the transfer gears.
I don't believe Honda is the only one to use ATF in this fashion, but that's another topic entirely.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hahhahahah!
Guys we know that we always want the best! we buy the best oil, oil filter, air filter, etc etc... but the question is... are we a better Eng'r than the car manufacturer? sometimes, if you have $$$ to burn then we look for the best w/out realizing still drives perfect. Would you buy a Lamborghini and lower it, change this and that?

·
Registered
699 Posts
joelusa said:
...Would you buy a Lamborghini and lower it, change this and that?
Heck no! Raise it, put mondo off-road tires on it, teeth in the grill and finish it with a wooden spoiler kit. Now we're talkin'!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
joelusa said:
hahhahahah!
Guys we know that we always want the best! we buy the best oil, oil filter, air filter, etc etc... but the question is... are we a better Eng'r than the car manufacturer? sometimes, if you have $$$ to burn then we look for the best w/out realizing still drives perfect. Would you buy a Lamborghini and lower it, change this and that?
I hope you don't believe everything the engineer wanted to do with a particular design including the choice of materials was strictly his choice.
In a Lambo more so, but in a normal production car, the bean counters have greater input.
Many of our ideas may be valid, and feasible, just not cost-effective.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mobil 1 is great

I am a big fan of this stuff. I have it in all my cars. I started using it in the X after 15,000 miles, and cannot believe how clean the oil is at change time.

Now, I agree that this might be overkill for those of us who drive normally and don't push the red line at each stop sign, however, I think the slight price difference is worth the protection and peace of mind.

Also, I no longer change the oil at 3,750, but rather at 7,500 miles. I noticed that the oil color was not changing at all after 7,500 miles, and considering the Benz and BMW don't require oil change fro 10,000 miles on this stuff, I think it is worth the risk.

BTW: Just found Mobil 1 at Costco for $23.95 a case (six pack). I bought six cases. At Napa or Kragen they are about $29 to $30 a case.

·
Registered
28 Posts
...i agree with you guys. all my cars i used synthetics Mobil 1, quaker state or castrol (only these brand!! )and K&N oil and air filters on my MDX and Grand cherokee. my 82'benz used it for a long time already, 8quartz ouch!!! but it's worth it. i even have Mobil 1 synthetic transmission on the benz and jeep. if Acura doesn't mind ...i'll use it on the tranny too! what i also added is a better air filter on the MDX modified round one, K&N. and it really gives me more extra mileage... i'm still in the market for a better exaust like headers!:2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am a big fan of Mobil 1. I use it in my 01 Yukon and it's always clean when I do my changes. I just bought my wife an '03 MDX and was looking through the maintenance and owner's manual. It calls for 5W-20 oil to be used. Does Mobil 1 make this viscocity or is everyone using the 5W-30 weight?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mobil 0w20

In March Mobil is launching 0w20. for now 0w30 is a good choice. My 03 is new so will use the 0w20 mobil or Amsoil 5w20 or perhaps Royal Purple 5w20. So many high quality choices and so few real comparisons.
INKY

1 - 19 of 19 Posts