Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I have a question between "Mobil1 0W-20" Advanced Fuel Economy vs "Mobil1 0W-20" Extended Performance.
Are there any different? and when is the right time to use it?

Right now I am using Mobil1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy. But would like to know if I can use Extended Performance, Is it too early to go with EP?

2016 MDX Sh-AWD / Tech / 40,000 miles.

I am also looking to buy OEM Floor Mat, anyone selling either a pair or just driver's side only. (PM me)
Thanks

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The cynic in me says that they're the same but in containers with different labels with perhaps a dash of something thrown in one of them to say it's somewhat different without lying.

Mobil's website allows one to select the two types and then do a 'compare' on them. According to that comparison the EP gets a slightly higher rating (3 vs 2 - apparently out of 3) than the AFE for -
- 'Help prevent oil breakdown'
- 'Protect in high engine temperatures'
- 'Turbocharger protection'
- 'Protect between 15,000 mile oil changes'

The last two don't apply to the MDX since it doesn't have a turbo and the maint minder will say to change the oil by 10K miles at the outside (according to my experience).

I've been using the 0W-20 AFE in mine for the last 37K or so miles - mostly because I could find it in the 5 qt jugs at Walmart for a good price (it's the only reason I ever go into a Walmart). I'd be comfortable using either one and either one s/b fine from a warranty perspective. I say get whichever one is most convenient and at a reasonable price for you.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Also 0W-20 is not recommended for the J37 so it doesn´t even matter for the 2G Guys
For the 3G I would not even bother with a "Fuel Efficient" as Mobil 1 EP is already fuel efficient enough for a car that is already fuel efficient like the 3G.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI:
New Mobil1 Annual Protection just came out, did anyone try it yet? It's pricey, $49 for 5qt

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Its not really that far from the Walmart 5q jug of Mobil 1 EP at 35 bucks and its Guaranteed up to 20K! Holy Crap! https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-annual-protection
I think its suited for people doing lots of highway miles but I will stick to Mobil 1 EP since I rarely hit 15K and Mobil 1 EP can go longer than 15K anyway.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
New Mobil1 Annual Protection just came out, did anyone try it yet? It's pricey, $49 for 5qt
I saw that the oil came out but didn't know the price. I'll buy whichever of the 3 that's cheapest and readily found. I'll also follow the guidance of Acura on the oil change interval regardless of the particular oil manufacturer's statements and assertions. I already know that the MDX maint minder will tell me to change the oil well below the 15K mile point (at around 8K-10K) so an oil maker statement regarding 15K, 20K, or more miles doesn't buy anything for me.

It already seems like I go a long time between oil changes so I don't find the existing interval onerous. Besides, I'll rotate my tires at around the same time as Acura's oil change interval and it's just a minor additional step to change the filter and oil while I'm rotating the tires.

I still think there's a certain marketing and gimmicky aspect to many of these new oil products along with marketing driven mileage assertions. From a realistic perspective I wouldn't be surprised to find that one could likely go 100K miles on the same oil (with top-ups as needed) when using these high quality fully synthetic oils but I'm not going to push it to that degree or second guess the vehicle manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Engine oil is one of those things I do not care about maker recommendation unless it's a very special engine ala NSX which I want it to last due to the limited number nature.

But a J Series? That is a common really mainstream engine that doesn't really have nothing special to it besides the VTEC pressure which requires a certain oil flow. So MID intervals are pointless specially when OEM was still using antiquated Dino oil when recommending the intervals.

My MID is still showing ridiculous intervals I am sitting at 50% with 2300miles on my current change so there is no way in hell Mobil 1 EP is half its shelf life I do not think it's even at 20% of use yet. What I find funny is that the MID almost think I am racing my MDX? Because I do not understand how slow or boring anyone must drive in order for the MID to show 10K intervals. I drive my MDX that hard? Acura put VTEC on the J37 as an after thought? Because seems that engaging VTEC is considered almost racing criteria for the MID intervals.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I do not understand how slow or boring anyone must drive in order for the MID to show 10K intervals.
I'm on the undeniably aggressive end of the spectrum in my driving. I tend to think of the MDX as a sports car...only bigger. I certainly don't drive it slowly or boringly. One difference in my usage may be that a lot of my miles are due to a couple of coast to coast trips that included a lot of miles at around the 75mph mark. The last oil change I did was at about 200 miles past the 0% mark on the MID, which made the 0% point almost exactly 10K miles from the previous one. On that trip I started it at 60% and then put about 6K miles on it from that point. It was pretty much 10% use per 10K miles.

The other aspect of this is the oil filter, fuel and other contaminants, and water vapor. The impetus to change the oil for me isn't just the oil itself but also the realization of external influences on the oiling system and the changing of the oil filter, which s/b trapping some of the contaminants. There are some people who might use the oil for an extended time but change the oil filter at some particular interval, i.e. pour the used oil back in, but I'd never do that. The oil really isn't that expensive and this isn't a $500 vehicle. It seems that the 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 cost around $25 at Walmart (the only place I found it at the time). I can handle spending $30 something for the oil and filter once every 9K miles or so and again - I'd be rotating the tires around then anyway so it's no big deal to also change the oil.

But to reiterate and add to your position - I don't doubt that the oil itself could probably run for 100K miles in the vehicle and the engine would be fine but I'm not willing to test that (and I don't recommend that - don't try this at home kids).

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The sad thing is that my X almost always drives at constant speed I do lots of highway miles with it probably at a 70/30 ratio... When I do city miles I drive it like my TLS on full Sport Shift because I can't stand the horrible lugging of the stock transmission shift points.. So my city MPGs are not the best at a 13-14mpgs Compared to my usual 22-26mpgs at the hwy. So it shows that I do drive it hard in the city, My usual shift points are around 3-4K for 2nd gear, 3K for 3rd and usually I am already going at 60MPH so I quickly shift into 5th if possible.

Yet Having the MID kill my oil change every 5K is ridiculous... My TLS has fixed 7500miles intervals per the Oil Reminder in a 7000RPM Redline V6 Engine from 2002.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ 5K miles sure seems low for an indication to change the oil. Is that around the point where it hit 0% or was near it?

I'd wonder if really the minder counted the overall revs of the engine rather than mileage, since it'd be possible, but my last minder ended up so close to exactly 10K miles that it seems it must be based mostly on miles.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I reset it when it starts to pop up in the MID every time you turn on the car at 15%?
Last time 15% was around 4400 miles on the change I haven´t allowed it to reach 0% yet since its obnoxious to hear the reminder when you start the car but I don´t think it would have gone that far anyway so I say 100% = More or Less 5000 miles in total.

My current change (Done in January this year) has 50% already!! at 23XX miles. If I keep up this pace I would barely hit 10K by the end of the year on the same oil change, yet the MID would have asked at least 2 more oil changes.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Mine is a 2007 MDX with 92K on the clock, But I´ve seen other members with the early 2G also hitting 10K per 100%... Mine seems to be the weird one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
On my 2105 AWD Tech, I've been using Advanced Fuel Economy but I also change the oil every 5,000 miles. The Mobil 1 website along with Bob is the Oil Guy website explain the differences. Basically AFE is slicker, and EP won't degrade as fast - especially in high temp scenarios / rough driving conditions. If I drove my car hard in a hot hilly climate and wanted to stretch out the oil change interval, then EP is likely the better choice. The new Annual Protection oil won't go into my MDX any time soon - at least not until I get tired of changing oil at recommended intervals. (In normal driving conditions, I'm betting all of the oils hold up well. I'm not the chemist, but I can't imagine that dirty oil from combustion byproducts can be fixed with a motor oil that won't break down as easy.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts