Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a Mobil 1 oil filter; M1-104. This is the standard small size filter for the MDX. In some recent thread, or maybe at another site, I recall someone stating that the larger Mobil 1 filter w/ a larger capacity might be used in place of the M1-104 filter. I cannot find the post I read, but believe it referred to the M1-105 filter (but not 100% sure if this is the model #). The threads and gasket diameter are supposedly the same as the M1-104, but the filter is larger in diameter. Has anyone used the larger M1-105 filter on the MDX? Does it fit easily when changing into the oil filter location on the MDX. My thoughts are that this larger filter might produce a more optimal filtering capacity, and do a better job between oil changes?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the reference to the oversized M1-105 filter that has approx. 30 % more filtering capacity than the standard size
M1-104 Mobil 1 filters. Sounds like a good alternative if it fits the
area for installing on the MDX. I guess one just needs to see if a 3.75 " diameter x 3.0" length oil filter canister will fit the MDX; as opposed to the smaller Mobil 1 , Honda, etc. oil filter canisters?
Reference to M1-105 for Honda applications:
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

·
Registered
129 Posts
03 filter is tiny

I find the 03 Accord and MDX filters to be very small and represent a new design. Even the mobil 104 which I use is much bigger than this little Honda Filtec filter made in USA. I am now concerned that the mobil 104 may no longer be suitable as a replacement of these new designs.
Of course MOBIL web site says nothing about what fits a 03. I was surprised to see such a small filter on a 3.5 l suv engine. Also, I gave up looking for the new Mobil 0w20 motor oil and used Castrol 5 w20 until something better comes around.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oil Filters

I can't believe that Honda has changed the size of the oil filter on the '03 MDX. I own a 2000 Odyssey an previously a '01 MDX which had inter-changeable oil filter for their 3.5 liter engines and now my '03 MDX has an inter-changeable oil filter with a RSX four banger?
What was Honda thinking?
The Mobil 1 M-110 fits the '03 MDX and RSX.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Larger filter

I had the Mobile M1-105 filter installed today. No problem.

First Oil change BTW. 4 1/2 Qts Amsoil synthetic 5w30.

·
Registered
129 Posts
big ass filter

I see you had the fortitude to go with a filter 3x the factory capacity.
I used 104. The 105 must be huge. Makes me feel better about the 104. I assume yours had the dinky filtech filter on it.
Question. why did you go with Amsoil 5w30. I had amsoil 5w20 going in my accord and mdx. Did you use the 7500 series oil or the real synthetic 5w30?
JIM

·
Registered
249 Posts
Big Ass Filter

The bigger filter seemed like a good idea to me. I went to the auto parts store and looked at both the M1-104 and M1-105, the part that fits onto the MDX is exactly the same. So...I figured what the heck go with the bigger one with more filtering capacity.

I used the true synthetic oil Amsoil 5w30. I think the heavier weight gives more engine protection especially in hot weather(30 w). Yet it will be just as thin in cold weather (5 w).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Small interchangable

Finally found genuine Honda reference to small filter (o3) and older 01-02 large filter being interchangable. Handi accessories web page had it with the filters--they only sell the big one. That said. bigger is better. I imagine Honda makes all the more money on storage space, cargo and tremendous weight savings on truckload orders. For the little guy like us, we just get a smaller filter for the same price. I use Mobil 1- 104 and am waiting for the fabled mobil 1 0w20 to be sold at a retailer new me.

Jim

·
Registered
272 Posts
Anyone know which Mobil1 oil filter is recommended for the '01 and '02 MDX's? Is it M1-105 or some other filter? Thanks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The M1-104 is the book "lookup" filter for the 01-02 MDX. However, per this thread and other past information, the M1-105 fits the MDX also, and has a lot greater (area) filtering capacity.

·
Registered
272 Posts
JimH, thanks for a quick reply

Now, I just gotta figure out if the M1-104 is the book "lookup" for the Pilot as well. In which case, I'd want to start using the M1-105 filter. Someone mentioned that the MDX and the Pilot might have different pressure requirements for the filter, but after some research, that doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks again.

Now, if only I can find a shop that carries Mobil1 oil filters in Canada!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Autozone stores in the States carry Mobil 1 filters, but not sure you have the equivalent in Canada? You might go to the Mobil
web site to look for possible stores carrying their line?

·
Registered
277 Posts
In my extensive research about oils and filters, I found an interesting point on one of the amsoil sites....
It hit on substituting a larger filter would impact on the amount of time (longer) it would take to build up oil pressure. ...And that the critical cold start would ultimately result in engine damage in the long run....

Has anyone using the larger filter encountered any oil pressure problems????

Thanks.... in advance....

·
Registered
129 Posts
big filter

Not sure this applies to Honda upside down filters. They cannot drain can they-- so they must be full when turned off so no need to refill like toyotas common up position filters. Honda is using this design all over so no sure filter size has that affect in the Honda design. In fact antidrainback valve is not very useful in this design.
Jim

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
JMT2003 said:
In my extensive research about oils and filters, I found an interesting point on one of the amsoil sites....
It hit on substituting a larger filter would impact on the amount of time (longer) it would take to build up oil pressure. ...And that the critical cold start would ultimately result in engine damage in the long run....

Has anyone using the larger filter encountered any oil pressure problems????

Thanks.... in advance....

Based on that logic, all vehicles using larger oil filters have a potential problem. Why would it only be if you 'substitute' one for the other?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I emailed the gentleman, Todd Marucci, who reviewed all those filters on this link, http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml which was first provided by JimH. I too have been looking for an alternative to the OEM Honda filter, after having seen how relatively small it was for an SUV and this is an excerpt from the email reply I received from him
==========
> Some Acura MDX owners over at this link,
> http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10497 , have
> started using the bigger Mobil1 filter, M1-105, instead of M1-104 and I
> thought about doing the samething for my Pilot.

Recommended!
=============
A more complete recount of the email reply from Todd can be viewed here, http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3459&highlight=m1105, talking about the potential differences between the pressure requirements and the bypass spring in the 104 & 105 filters. Just scroll down a bit to the post with "ck55, will do" subject line.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Did my first oil change today...
I opt for the 105 filter....
The final turn of the filter was a bit unusual...:13:
It was as if the metal edge of the filter, just distally from the gasket had made contact with metal surface (part the filter screws into).
With my other cars, you feel the gasket contact only(very smooth).
You can imagine how uneasy I was with this....:eek:
So.... I made sure the filter was on as hand-tight as possible.
Raced around the block and checked for leaks..:29:
None!!!

BTW... Could not find 5W20 anywhere, so I used Castro Syntec 5W30....

And Mobil 1 and Syntec are both using similar formulas after Mobil lost it's case against Syntec...
If You can't beat them, Join them.... I guess....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts