Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone use Mobil 1 ATF in their trans instead of the Honda ZF1? The manual calls for ATF change every 30K miles. Most auto transmissions these days have 100K mile fluid.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has anyone use Mobil 1 ATF in their trans instead of the Honda ZF1? The manual calls for ATF change every 30K miles. Most auto transmissions these days have 100K mile fluid.
You must be dreaming... 100k mile fluid is a joke. With that aside, if the Mobil 1 ATF has eqivalent or better specs than Honda/Acura ATF, then by all means go for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
You must be dreaming... 100k mile fluid is a joke. With that aside, if the Mobil 1 ATF has eqivalent or better specs than Honda/Acura ATF, then by all means go for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Car manufacturers hope you wait till 100k... Agree with km9v if it matches requirements then you can use it. Honda doesn't make their oil/fluid they buy it from somebody, they could be buying it from Exxon/Mobil... Caveat if it is still under warranty I would use the Honda fluid in case something goes wrong.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just to be clear, Honda hasn't specified the use of ATF-Z1 fluid for any of their conventional automatic transmissions for almost 10 years. Until Honda recently came out with their 2.0 and 3.1 transmission fluids, DW-1 fluid is what they specified for the non-CVT automatics; and DW-1 is supposedly backwards compatible with the Z1 fluid.

Also, I don't think Mobil makes any reference to their Mobil 1 ATF being suitable for use in Honda/Acura vehicles. The only brands I've seen that state they should be compatible with Honda/Acura DW-1 applications are Valvoline, Castrol, Redline, Amsoil, and Eneos. There may be a few others out there.

Personally, if I were still doing my own ATF changes, I'd consider using the Honda/Acura OEM fluid or the others that I mentioned. But I wouldn't be using Mobil 1.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you check out my recent post, you won't think about wait until 100k, your tranny will be tossed.
I didn't wait that long with the MDX. The 100K mi figure came from my other car, Camaro SS w/ 6sp manual. It uses ATF fluid & the change interval is indeed 100K miles. I replaced it ~95K mi & the fluid looked brand new. Of course a manual trans does abuse the fluid as much as an auto.
I was just trying to find out if anyone here had actually used the Mobil 1 ATF in their MDX & if there was any issues with it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I didn't wait that long with the MDX. The 100K mi figure came from my other car, Camaro SS w/ 6sp manual. It uses ATF fluid & the change interval is indeed 100K miles. I replaced it ~95K mi & the fluid looked brand new. Of course a manual trans does abuse the fluid as much as an auto.
I was just trying to find out if anyone here had actually used the Mobil 1 ATF in their MDX & if there was any issues with it.
I actually remember someone saying to use the Valoline ATF instead of Honda's, but I really don't remember if he was referring to the 2nd gen or 3rd gen.

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2017 MDX. I got about 52000 miles. I recently just replaced my transmission fluid with Mobil 1 ATF. It been working fine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does everyone talking about the same 6 speed transmission on pre 2016, or 9 speed ZF transmission on 2016 or newer?

Owner's manual calls for replacing ATF every 30,000 miles for 6 speed AT, and I stick with the schedule or earlier and only use Honda/Acura DW-1 fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts