Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to declutter my garage and found a few quarts left of different grades and brands of engine oil. is it safe to mix them in the 2005 MDX? What about brake fluid and radiator fluid?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm trying to declutter my garage and found a few quarts left of different grades and brands of engine oil. is it safe to mix them in the 2005 MDX? What about brake fluid and radiator fluid?

It's fine to mix brands of anything. But I'm not sure what you mean by grades. You should not mix weights of oil. Similarly you should only mix the same DOT classification of brake fluid and only if it has remained sealed against moisture. Radiator fluid should only be the blue or Honda classified type. You should not use green or orange in it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant different weight oil. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@Eagle, mixing your oil depends on how different it is and what you intend to use it for. I ran into the same issue not long ago myself I had motorcycle oil, chainsaw bar oil, lawn mower oil, 5-20 for the MDX, and 20 weight for the wife's Toyota. It will not matter a bit if you mix a little 5-20 with 20 weight or a similar situation, keep in mind that many people change the weight of the oils they use based on the environment and the weather. Unless you're absolutely certain about the brake fluid I'd suggest just calling it a loss and recycle it. If you have multiple vehicles do a little research and see if they can use the same fluids, Acura aka Honda, is one of the vehicles that will literally fall apart if you don't use the right ones. If you don't want to use the actual Honda brand make sure you see some kind of made for Acuras on the bottle

·
Registered
23 Posts
For the oil, mixing brands and different weights should not be a problem, particularly if you intend to use it up in something like a lawnmower or snowblower. However, if it is not synthetic oil and is old, I wouldn't put it in a car. All oil starts to break down the moment it is put in the bottle, but synthetic is far more stable. If the container has been opened and exposed to hot humid air, or freezing temperatures then chances are you shouldn't use it at all. Brake fluid is notorious for absorbing moisture if opened and left to set. Moisture in your brake system is a fast way to costly repairs. Recycle it. Antifreeze has a good shelf life if not opened. Opened antifreeze is fine if well sealed and you haven't mixed it with water. Typically mixing it is not an issue since you are going to be using a very specific kind of antifreeze no matter what car you have. Then again, if you are talking more than 4 years old on any of these, why risk it....just recycle it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would not mix different brands of oil and put it in a car, especially older oil, unless it was an emergency to get you somewhere to get your oil changed.

Also it is not wise at all to mix antifreeze, certain car manufactures require the use of their specific antifreeze due to the metal composition they used in the radiator and or engine. In the case of Honda/Acura their antifreeze is silicate free, using anything else will void your warranty, corrode your water pump, and cause seals to leak. In fact Honda even says this about using their coolant:

"Some antifreeze, although labeled as safe for aluminum parts, may not be compatible with Acura cooling system components. Extensive research and testing by both Honda R&D and CCI, the manufacturer of the Honda coolant, have proven that the abrasive silicates and/or borates found in most domestic coolants can cause these problems:

- - Silicates bond to the surface of the water pump seal and act as an abrasive, causing considerable seal erosion and coolant leakage. In actual tests, the silicated coolant caused early leakage. This leakage increased dramatically until a substantial portion of the coolant had been lost. In contrast, the Honda coolant had almost no leakage through the duration of the test."

So it's highly recommended that you use ONLY Honda coolant, and don't use those ones that say they can be used in many cars, it's not true. With oil you have some leeway, as long as you stick to full Syn and whatever viscosity is recommended for your car any brand is fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts