Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Third try and I finally bought my MDX. First time I almost bought it, but got Montero Limited instead (did not want to wait), second time I got TL type S instead (dealer did not have Touring). Finally, I traded TL-S, got a great deal for MDX Touring + Navi with all exterior options - picking up tomorrow.

I test drove MDX at least 8 times, even borrowed my friend's MDX in Canada for 8 days.

Well, now the comparison.

My 2001 Montero (new style) is a fantastic vehicle for off-roading. I took it to a mountain with no road, to a river, to a beach, ice and snow, desert - it is great. You don't even feel that you are off-road. It is great on the road as well. It is extremely comfortable for long trips - I am talking 2-3 days of driving. It is fun to drive and it is great looking as well - impossible to confuse with anything else on the road. Great leather interior, great controls - great SUV for adventure. It has a HUGE sunroof, probably twice as big as MDX's, has 3-rd row as MDX. I had this SUV for 2 years now and no problems at all.

However... Since MDX was released, I always wanted one!!! My Montero is short in the areas where MDX is strong. MDX has a couple more luxury features. For one, there is no NAVI as an option on Montero. So, I had to buy Garmin Street Pilot III. MDX has NAVI, memory seats, and a tape player, which Montero lacks. MDX has much sportier handling and it is much faster. Last, but not least, MDX has a great resale value, which Montero drops 30-40% first year. I was able to get new 2002 MDX well below invoice (long story). So, I decided to not wait for 2003, especially since VSA on my 2002 TL-S never really made a difference.

Interesting fact. USA today did a test of 2001 MDX vs. RX300, ML 320, and BMW X5 in 2001. All of the other vehicles had VSA, however they all ended up scoring much worse than MDX with no VSA on ice and snow handling.

All in all, Montero is the best SUV for real off-roading (unless you want to spend twice as much for Range Rover or Landcruiser). MDX is the best luxury SUV for everyday life, including fun, adventure stuff, short of climbing a mountain with no road over bushes! :)

G.:9:

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Mitsubishi Montero Sport is listed as the most costly vehicle to insure. Why? Rollovers, accidents and theft. Be careful with this one...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a great point! I really hate the Montero Sport - I rented it once in WA and drove through rain and wind - that was a terrifying experience! I felt like I am going to flip over even when driving 55 MPH. Montero Sport is built on a truck frame and feels that way too. Low ceiling, not a lot of space at all.

On the other side, Montero is a completely different SUV. It is not truck-based and is fantastic to drive on and off-road, snow, rain, ice, wind - it is very safe.

Mitsubishi should change the name, since it is very close Montero vs. Montero Sport and these two completely different SUVs. And again, I am completely in agreement with you - Montero Sport is bad! :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I have had my MDX for 2+ weeks now. It has 1300 miles and 2 cracks on the windshield :)

But I absolutely LOVE this SUV! I can't say enough how great it is to drive it. It is wonderful on a freeway, on the streets, driving straight, taking corners, you name it.

I am finding that my Montero now just sits in the driveway. Everytime we go somewhere, MDX is the choice. It is just a different feeling - a feeling of a sporty car (MDX) vs. a truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts