Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that I would like the answer to as well. Is there a particular product or method you guys use for cleaning the interior faux wood trim? So far, I have just dusted - not cleaned with products.

Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow! Here I was trying to keep from starting a new thread, and I get one with my name in the subject. Thanks for the honor, 'X Mom!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Misterjon!

It looked like it was going to get lost....so I decided to give it some vitality!;) :D

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Not being a Zaino-er, I've had good luck with Meguiar's Liquid Cleaner-Wax (in the maroon bottle, available just about everywhere). I use the same stuff on the outside of the car, applied with an orbital buffer (Sacrilege!:rolleyes: .)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
OY!

frostyra said:
Not being a Zaino-er, I've had good luck with Meguiar's Liquid Cleaner-Wax (in the maroon bottle, available just about everywhere). I use the same stuff on the outside of the car, applied with an orbital buffer (Sacrilege!:rolleyes: .)
Don't do this!

The CLEANER-WAX is gonna leave CRAPPY DUST all over!

I would also avoid anything with alcohol as it is a solvent that alsmost certainly will eventaully craze the photo reproduced faux-wood.

The problem with most "interior cleaner protectorants" is they WILL attract dust.

There are better products to be had.

As to the ORBITAL POLISHER, again WHY??? These things are NOT, repeat NOT good. They are an anacronism from days of non-softened waxes. Get a QUALITY WAX/protectorant and IT WILL BE EASER to apply/wipe-off/buff the vehicle with a TOWEL (which weighs less & reguires no cords/recharger). Even if you are FANATICAL about changing the 'bonnet' YOU WILL GET SCRATCHES. It is unavoidable. Even "pros" who USED to SWEAR by mechanical buffers have realized that with clear coated vehicles the need to put "muscle" into deatiler is GONE!

·
Registered
250 Posts
OK, I am waiting for misterjohn's question to be answered
via 'X Mom's thread. Still have not seen a good answer.
Does anyone out there really know the BEST(emphasis) way
to clean the faux wood? Thanks 'X Mom for keeping this question
alive.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I bought Zaino's plastic cleaner/polish (among all their other products), which would seem like the ideal product for cleaning the plastic in the MDX. It is also supposed to hide scratches. I have yet to use it, but will try to do so this weekend and post my impressions. So far, all I have done is to wipe up the dust with one of those static cling dust wipes, which has worked pretty good.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Cleaning Faux wood

I had given some thought on that for quite sometime actually. I had been cleaning the fingerprints and grimes with just a piece of chamois like material called the ABSORBER soak in luke warm water...However..certain grimes do not come off.Sometimes using the absorber does not give the faux wood that nice shine...SO

I bought this cleaner from a company that makes OXI-CLEAN called Orange Clean- Orange clean is just a simple liquid made out of natural orange oil that comes from the orange peel. Since it does not contain any HARSH chemicals...it worked REALLY REALLY well around the house especially when you know that you have children. So now I used this as a general cleaner around the house for wood, plastic, glass, metal, stove top etc etc..Windex and all the other solvents have harsh chemical derivatives that is dangerous for the children if they touch the surfaces after you clean it.

Try it out. It is wonderful and it smells AWESOME after the clean. It is not also available at grocery stores

·
Registered
128 Posts
ifeldman said:
I bought Zaino's plastic cleaner/polish (among all their other products), which would seem like the ideal product for cleaning the plastic in the MDX. It is also supposed to hide scratches. I have yet to use it, but will try to do so this weekend and post my impressions. So far, all I have done is to wipe up the dust with one of those static cling dust wipes, which has worked pretty good.
i would test the zaino poish in a not-so-obvious area first for results. Not knowing what is coveriong the faux wood, i cant advise the use of this product for that purpose. It is a mild abrasive, intended for things like Plexi, lexan etc . . to reduce minor scratches - tail light covers, dashboard gauge covers, etc . .

if you try it - do let us know, but also, it wouldnt be a good - use it every time suggestion...

microfibre cloth may be a good alternative for you . ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts