Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for hotels (preferably modestly priced) in this area. My father has a conference to attend at the Navy base at the end of this month and he is taking my mother along as well. His criteria is basically clean, reasonable, perhaps near hotel circle, and nearby (walking distance) trolley access if possible. Also any tips or suggestions for travelling and site seeing are also welcome.

You guys were spot on with my DC trip that I was hoping someone here could give my dad the hookup on San Diego. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hey there...Try the Radisson or the Hanalei hotel in mission valley/hotel circle area.

As for things to do and site seeing, Take the Old town bus to Balboa Park, it is awesome there on Thursday...Admissions to all museums are free. It is beautiful there. The other thing is you can also take the Old Town bus to San Diego Old town for some delicious Mexican food.

If your parents are brave...then try to get up early in the morning and take the bus to pacific Beach and go to KONOS or Tower 23 for breakfast...Beautiful beaches right on the beach and they can both take a stroll on Crystal Pier or along the boardwalk.

Another thing to do is go to Seaworld in the late afternoon then watch the beautiful fireworks before the park shuts down.

Take the trolley to PetCo park for a Padres game..and afterwards..take a walk to the Gaslamp and have a nice Italian dinner down there. Or if your parents like...Go to the Marriott downtown take the elevator all the way to the top of the Marriott to this open lounge/bar called Altitude...Lovely place to sit, relax watch the bay, the skylines and it overlook PetCo park where the Padres play.

Since Fashion Valley is close by..they can go there..it is a short Taxi ride like five minutes..great place to site see, shop and eat.

And if your parents like wines..then rent a car, drive to Temecula for some awesome almond champagne, and some reds, whites or port...we have some of the best wines in California.

Hope this help..if you need more stuff to do...please let me know.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fireblade6 said:
Hey there...Try the Radisson or the Hanalei hotel in mission valley/hotel circle area.

As for things to do and site seeing, Take the Old town bus to Balboa Park, it is awesome there on Thursday...Admissions to all museums are free. It is beautiful there. The other thing is you can also take the Old Town bus to San Diego Old town for some delicious Mexican food.

If your parents are brave...then try to get up early in the morning and take the bus to pacific Beach and go to KONOS or Tower 23 for breakfast...Beautiful beaches right on the beach and they can both take a stroll on Crystal Pier or along the boardwalk.

Another thing to do is go to Seaworld in the late afternoon then watch the beautiful fireworks before the park shuts down.

Take the trolley to PetCo park for a Padres game..and afterwards..take a walk to the Gaslamp and have a nice Italian dinner down there. Or if your parents like...Go to the Marriott downtown take the elevator all the way to the top of the Marriott to this open lounge/bar called Altitude...Lovely place to sit, relax watch the bay, the skylines and it overlook PetCo park where the Padres play.

Since Fashion Valley is close by..they can go there..it is a short Taxi ride like five minutes..great place to site see, shop and eat.

And if your parents like wines..then rent a car, drive to Temecula for some awesome almond champagne, and some reds, whites or port...we have some of the best wines in California.

Hope this help..if you need more stuff to do...please let me know.

Thanks thats a TON of help and many of those recommendations sound like things that might interest them.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey FB... just one more ??? Dad asked if in the HC/Mission Valley area there are any "local sports bars" i.e. something SD specific and local watering holes and not any "chain" places. Oh and biker bars ARE welcome... thanks again

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
one4gatr said:
Hey FB... just one more ??? Dad asked if in the HC/Mission Valley area there are any "local sports bars" i.e. something SD specific and local watering holes and not any "chain" places. Oh and biker bars ARE welcome... thanks again
Hey there...Well...Biker bars..HELL...you are askin the right person!
If your parents are willing to rent a car in San Diego here are some great biker bar hang outs
1)Kraken in Encinitas, CA off of the pacific coast highway..it is freakin awesome there during the weekend with all kinds of nice Harleys and Customs and live music and overlook the ocean..you can walk across to the beach.
2)Cooks Corner off of El Toro road off of the Interstate Five about 40 minutes drive north of Mission Valley. Here you will find Jay Leno riding his bike, Jesse James from West Coast Choppers and me and some of my friends come to hang out for a good burger, beer and check out some BADASS rides.
3)If you like sports bars...there is an awesome place called SEAU's this sports bar and restaurant was built by Jr. SEAU of the late San Diego Chargers. Lots of BIG SCREEN/Plasma TVs, Great food...Good drinks. It is one of its KIND and its like five minutes from the HOTEL on a Taxi ride..It is located in Mission Valley Mall.
4)If your parents like local watering holes..head down to Pacific Beach..Although the crowds are much younger/College..the bars there are FUN! Tower23 bar, Lahaina's, Cane's, MoonDoggies and Guava Beach Bar.

Please let me know if you need more places...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fireblade6 said:

Hey there...Well...Biker bars..HELL...you are askin the right person!
If your parents are willing to rent a car in San Diego here are some great biker bar hang outs
1)Kraken in Encinitas, CA off of the pacific coast highway..it is freakin awesome there during the weekend with all kinds of nice Harleys and Customs and live music and overlook the ocean..you can walk across to the beach.
2)Cooks Corner off of El Toro road off of the Interstate Five about 40 minutes drive north of Mission Valley. Here you will find Jay Leno riding his bike, Jesse James from West Coast Choppers and me and some of my friends come to hang out for a good burger, beer and check out some BADASS rides.
3)If you like sports bars...there is an awesome place called SEAU's this sports bar and restaurant was built by Jr. SEAU of the late San Diego Chargers. Lots of BIG SCREEN/Plasma TVs, Great food...Good drinks. It is one of its KIND and its like five minutes from the HOTEL on a Taxi ride..It is located in Mission Valley Mall.
4)If your parents like local watering holes..head down to Pacific Beach..Although the crowds are much younger/College..the bars there are FUN! Tower23 bar, Lahaina's, Cane's, MoonDoggies and Guava Beach Bar.

Please let me know if you need more places...
Cool... thanks a ton.. I think that will keep them busy. Some of the ones you mentioned are probably a bit far for them but the Seau one looks promising. Thanks again for the input...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts