Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX Advance AWD, Modern Steel/Silverstone
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 2018 MDX Advance and just noticed this empty spot in the toolkit for the spare tire. Am I missing a socket wrench or is this spot for the key for wheel locks (which I don't have)?

Missing.jpg

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Yup! Wheel lock key.

Reactions: Stuart S

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wheel locks provide a false sense of security, as they can be easily removed in 10 seconds or less without the key.

A crew of 6 wheel thieves can remove all 4 wheels in less than 2 minutes! Each man does one job. Two men use floor jacks to simultaneously raise both sides of the car and put it on concrete blocks while the other four men are removing the wheels. They're just like a well-practiced NASCAR crew. Wheel locks don't slow them down much and, if they cause the thieves to get pi$$ed off, they may inflict some expensive damage to your car.

Should you buy wheel locks? It's your car, your money, and your choice.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I usually upgrade to aftermarket rims with double wheel locks. I figured adding two wheel locks might slow them down or make them look for an easier target. I also hide the wheel locks keys in the vehicle where no-one would think to look. I like Gorilla and McGard with the lug nuts also requiring a key like you have with DPAccessoress wheel locks.

Much easier to add wheel locks and keyed lug nuts to aftermarket rims because of the conical lug shape compared to ball/rounded lugs Acura/Honda uses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought mine was missing as well. Check its attached to the lug wrench or possibly in the glove box. I almost ordered another set of lock nuts but decided to check 1 more time. It was there all along in the little black Acura storage bag attached to the lug wrench... I couldn't believe I missed it after checking several times.

·
Registered
2019 advance red pearl parchment
97 Posts
Wheel locks provide a false sense of security, as they can be easily removed in 10 seconds or less without the key.

A crew of 6 wheel thieves can remove all 4 wheels in less than 2 minutes! Each man does one job. Two men use floor jacks to simultaneously raise both sides of the car and put it on concrete blocks while the other four men are removing the wheels. They're just like a well-practiced NASCAR crew. Wheel locks don't slow them down much and, if they cause the thieves to get pi$$ed off, they may inflict some expensive damage to your car.

Should you buy wheel locks? It's your car, your money, and your choice.
A crew of six men all for four wheels.Well i guess in that case nothing would help.Floor Jacks ,battery impact guns I’m sure. I say get the locks in case 4 guys get sick or something Here in nyc the thieves make it easy for themselves.One thief one glock take whole car and don’t care about locks one way or the other

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A crew of six men all for four wheels.Well i guess in that case nothing would help.Floor Jacks ,battery impact guns I’m sure. I say get the locks in case 4 guys get sick or something Here in nyc the thieves make it easy for themselves.One thief one glock take whole car and don’t care about locks one way or the other
You know the best thing about NYC?

Being from there. And I don't miss the pizza!

·
Registered
260 Posts
The only person who'll be stopped or slowed by wheel locks will the owner and repair shops.
I lost the key twice, no longer use wheel locks.

It's just bad luck if it happened to you, pray for luck and try not to park on suspicious area . . . sigh.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
The only person who'll be stopped or slowed by wheel locks will the owner and repair shops.
I lost the key twice, no longer use wheel locks.

It's just bad luck if it happened to you, pray for luck and try not to park on suspicious area . . . sigh.
Why lock your car, no need to lock my house, why bother to password protect my smartphone or bank accounts. Criminals can just as easily break into or access those thing with the same effort or less as stealing rims with wheel locks. I'm betting on the effort isn't worth the reward if my rims have double locks. I have double/triple locks on other things with protecting like door locks+alarm+ front/back cameras at home or 2 factor authentication on online accounts for work and home. All else fails, that is what insurance is for.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Where I live, at the end of quiet street, I forget to lock my car quite often. I also don't have password protection on my cellphone although it came with finger print recognition or something. I do have password on my bank account, but I know it doesn't and won't do much. When a determined thief try to break in to my car or bank account, he'll get it.

If and when someone wants to break into my front door or whatever, the only thing he needs is a Milwaukee impact with a bit or two. No amount of prevention will stop break-ins completely, only a slow down. Oh, my front door lock is smart something, a good hacker can unlock it from distance, LOL. But I'm not saying my home is open always and I'm advertising my address.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don’t feel bad. I took my car back to the dealership thinking I was missing something and they said no that’s for your wheel lock. I turned and walked out of the dealership with my head down

1 - 12 of 12 Posts