Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Found this sight also (below) I think a decent price for refurbished or refinished wheels. About the price you have on here and this company sells on Ebay.

2016 Acura MDX Replacement Factory Wheels & Rims - CARiD.com

Replace® - 19x8 10-Spoke Alloy Factory Wheel
0 reviews|Item # 1120610898

Replace® - Our Product Review
Replace® - 19 x 8 10-Spoke Medium Charcoal Metallic Textured Machined Alloy Factory Wheel (Remanufactured)
Replace® - Wheel Tech InfoReplace Authorized Dealer
$206.21 - $221.22
Varies - Depends on Product Options more details on - Replace® - 19x8 10-Spoke Alloy Factory Wheel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I purchased a used OEM tire on eBay for about $75 with about 80%-90% tread on it. Just did the mount and balance at discount tires (no tpms). I also put around 40-42 psi since you will drop 1-2 psi or more over time. That way I only need to check my spare psi 1-2 times a year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm happy to report that I got the wheel and it's perfect! I'll be getting new tires later this year, so I'll use the best "old" tire for the spare. What else do I need to get the car ready for a full spare or where can I find that info?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Is the spare rim an Acura rim? If so, the lug nuts are good to go for spare rim also. If your rim is not an Acura rim, you might need to get the right type of lugs for that rim:
  • Acura uses ball (rounded) lugs
  • Aftermarket rims mostly used acorn (straight tapered) lugs
Another thing I do was purchase a tq wrench and breaker bar. Discount tires was extremely bad about over-tq the lugs and even broke off a stud a few years ago on my TSX. I could hardly budge the lugs when they did this with the Acura lug wrench without almost standing on it. They since turned down the power and use a tq wrench to tq to specs now. I still like to double-check the wheel tq after any service that removes the rims and it will come in handy if you have a flat on the road and need to re-tq to spec.

Another thing I did was look for aftermarket ball type lug rim locks. Everyone has a key to the Acura brand lug nuts locks. Wheel locks from Gorilla Automotive might give you a little extra security if your are worried about that, for Honda/Acura ball lug locks, Amazon, $32:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Try pulling out the tray under the back storage area. There should be a foam tool holder with several cutouts to the front of the area, and a mechanism on the bottom for cranking up/down the spare with a cable. I doubt you have the cable mechanism, but worth checking. I think you will need the jack and tire iron, which is in a kit. Buying a proper cross-style wrench or a breaker bar with correct socket size will make things easier when changing. BTW don't put a TPMS sensor on the spare wheel - there is no sensor for the spare.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You need the spare wheel kit: Temporary Wheel Kit for 2016 Acura MDX 5-DOOR | OEMAcuraPart . It is cheapest to buy the package (item #1 at the bottom) than to buy the parts separately - then sell the new space-saver wheel here. Don't put the door placard (item #4) on the car - it is for the space-saver. If you want to do everything right then buy the full-size 19" spare door placard: 2014-2016 Acura MDX 5-DOOR Placard, Specification -Full Size Spare 08W18-TZ5-21003 | OEMAcuraPart .

That should do it. Good luck.

·
Registered
507 Posts
#3 is just the air valve for the wheel - don't worry about that, you are going to sell the wheel anyway and any tire shop can replace that (and often do with new tires). You do need the hoist (#6) and its mounting bolt with washer (#10). My reading is that the kit includes those items but I am not at all certain. It is time for you to make a phone call or send an email and get it done. Any Acura parts guy should be able to answer the question, but the oemacuraparts.com guy is very helpful and the prices are very competitive. Remember to order the correct door placard as well, if desired.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You need the spare wheel kit: Temporary Wheel Kit for 2016 Acura MDX 5-DOOR | OEMAcuraPart . It is cheapest to buy the package (item #1 at the bottom) than to buy the parts separately - then sell the new space-saver wheel here. Don't put the door placard (item #4) on the car - it is for the space-saver. If you want to do everything right then buy the full-size 19" spare door placard: 2014-2016 Acura MDX 5-DOOR Placard, Specification -Full Size Spare 08W18-TZ5-21003 | OEMAcuraPart .

That should do it. Good luck.
#3 is just the air valve for the wheel - don't worry about that, you are going to sell the wheel anyway and any tire shop can replace that (and often do with new tires). You do need the hoist (#6) and its mounting bolt with washer (#10). My reading is that the kit includes those items but I am not at all certain. It is time for you to make a phone call or send an email and get it done. Any Acura parts guy should be able to answer the question, but the oemacuraparts.com guy is very helpful and the prices are very competitive. Remember to order the correct door placard as well, if desired.
Got it, thanks! I really appreciate the assist!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts