Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just passed the first anniversary of owning my used 2016 MDX w/Tech & Entertainment. I purchased it from Vroom as part of my credit union's car-buying program. It was a leased vehicle and had just over 21k miles. I just discovered I have no spare. Given the price of the vehicle, I didn't think it was something I had to question or worry about. Is that normal? What should I expect to pay and how best to resolve?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The front wheel drive and hybrid models of the MDX don't come with a spare tire. Only the awd versions come with a spare tire. It is around $130+labor to install for the 17-20 MDXs. I don't know the cost or model number for a spare tire kit for the 2014-2016 MDX because Acura used a different lug nut pattern for the 17-20 MDXs. I had to add the spare tire kit to my 19 hybrid and added a full size spare instead of the donut.

If your MDX is sh-awd, you might already have the parts and tools for a spare if only the tire is missing. I would upgrade to a full size spare compared to the compact spare because you can only drive around 70 miles at 50 mph max with a donut.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Someone had installed a spare on his 2017 Sport Hybrid, a totally different vehicle but you get the idea. Read post #4 of the thread below.

Call oemacuraparts.com, it's in Peoria, AZ, ask for help. They're one of the best online Acura parts place and have great prices.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Call a local wrecking yard and ask them to do a net search if they dont have a wrecked Acura you can get the parts from. Be sure to try and get the tray under the rear cover that holds the jack and parts too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front wheel drive and hybrid models of the MDX don't come with a spare tire. Only the awd versions come with a spare tire. It is around $130+labor to install for the 17-20 MDXs. I don't know the cost or model number for a spare tire kit for the 2014-2016 MDX because Acura used a different lug nut pattern for the 17-20 MDXs. I had to add the spare tire kit to my 19 hybrid and added a full size spare instead of the donut.

If your MDX is sh-awd, you might already have the parts and tools for a spare if only the tire is missing. I would upgrade to a full size spare compared to the compact spare because you can only drive around 70 miles at 50 mph max with a donut.
[/QUOTE
Someone had installed a spare on his 2017 Sport Hybrid, a totally different vehicle but you get the idea. Read post #4 of the thread below.

Call oemacuraparts.com, it's in Peoria, AZ, ask for help. They're one of the best online Acura parts place and have great prices.
Thank you all for the great suggestions! If I'm ever in the market again for a used car, I know to make the spare tire part of my checklist.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the great suggestions! It just never dawned on me that the car wouldn't have a spare or a donut. If I'm ever in the market again for a used car, a spare tire will be part of my checklist. Yes, I have the roadside service, but there's nothing like knowing there's a spare handy, especially when traveling long distances. Thanks again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
FYI if the car never came with a spare, there should be a can of compressed fix-a-flat in the rear compartment, per the owners manual.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Look on Ebay for one.
I bought a matching full size spare off Ebay and will use whichever one of my old tires is in the best shape, when I get new tires for it this spring. Mine did come with a spare but I go a little further out sometimes so I want the full size spare. I also keep the spare repair kit from Acura and an extra can of tire inflator. My wife drives this car so I give her several options if she can't call for service.

·
Registered
493 Posts
For all sorts of reasons go with the full-size spare, not the space-saver. Space-saver spares are limited in both speed and load (never use one when towing), and of course don't stop as well due to the smaller size. Consider it an opportunity to properly equip the car.

You will need the tools package and the wheel lifter, available from online sources a lot cheaper than your local dealer. I too recommend oemacuraparts.com. Also, you can buy used original wheels on line through Amazon and eBay - they will match and work well. Just be careful to get the right one: the diameter and style changes with the trim level and the bolt pattern for 2014-2016 (maybe 2017) is different than earlier and later years. If you want to go that way I can help you with the part number. I bought the tire from a local tire dealer for $100, used with one patch - good enough for something I will rarely if ever use.

The tire repair goop is in a container attached to the tire inflator included with the car - you don't have to buy something else. If you decide to stay with the goop then check the dates: they don't last forever.

·
Registered
99 Posts
ou will need the tools package and the wheel lifter, available from online sources a lot cheaper than your local dealer.
PDXSailor good catch I wonder if they took out the tire lift cable bcs it didn't come with spare. That would be my 1st check, to see if it actually has a tire lift cable underneath??? otherwise you would be installing one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey it might be a faux pas on this forum,but I got my OEM rim from ebay for $160 and it was a grade B+, meaning in very good shape. I went ahead and polished it a little and had to remove a scratch but otherwise it was in excellent condition. OEM was more than twice that from Acura.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For all sorts of reasons go with the full-size spare, not the space-saver. Space-saver spares are limited in both speed and load (never use one when towing), and of course don't stop as well due to the smaller size. Consider it an opportunity to properly equip the car.

You will need the tools package and the wheel lifter, available from online sources a lot cheaper than your local dealer. I too recommend oemacuraparts.com. Also, you can buy used original wheels on line through Amazon and eBay - they will match and work well. Just be careful to get the right one: the diameter and style changes with the trim level and the bolt pattern for 2014-2016 (maybe 2017) is different than earlier and later years. If you want to go that way I can help you with the part number. I bought the tire from a local tire dealer for $100, used with one patch - good enough for something I will rarely if ever use.

The tire repair goop is in a container attached to the tire inflator included with the car - you don't have to buy something else. If you decide to stay with the goop then check the dates: they don't last forever.

Yes, I'm definitely interested and the part numbers would be helpful. My concern is ordering the wrong items. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I'm definitely interested and the part numbers would be helpful. My concern is ordering the wrong items. Thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm in a bit of a hurry right now, and the Acura site isn't being helpful, but I think either of these two would do the job:

Both are for the right model years (bolt diameters). I believe this is the pattern for the Tech level but you should compare to what you have now. Tech (these) have 5 double spokes, as opposed to the Advanced (7 single spokes). If they look the same then either of these should work.

There are also aftermarket copies out there but I think you are better off with a used OEM wheel.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I ordered an OEM rim on eBay for my full size spare on my 19 MDX hybrid in gloss black Berlina 20X8 to go with the other set. The rim was pretty beat up compared to the pictures. I just took it down to a local rim shop to get it repainted back to new. Almost ended up coming out close to the same price compared to buying a new Berlina rim. Sometimes eBay sellers uses the same set of pictures for multiple sets of rims they are selling over months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much, that answers a question I had because I didn't understand why the ads were saying 19x8. I knew I needed a 19, but the "x8" through me off and cause concern. Now, I know that's the standard for my year's model. I found this one on ebay that's in my city for $221.22 that says, "New" condition; do you consider that a reasonable price?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tampa could you give us the link and maybe a picture? A brand new rim or refurbished would cost Between $300 to $480. So if it is "like new" at $221 it's probably a good deal. BUT... it's a spare so it doesn't have to be perfect. The one I bought was not perfect. but it looks pretty decent and I can polish it out if I need to replace one on the vehicle.

I found this one I think is yours? For Acura MDX 14-16 Alloy Factory Wheel 19x8 10-Spoke Medium Charcoal Metallic | eBay

Some links below:

Acura Spare kit $145: Acura Spare Tire Kit (2WD MDX)
New rim for 2016:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The prices for eBay can change a lot depending on when you are looking and time of year. Really depends on when you need the spare and the best price at the time. I paid $209+$35 shipping back in Mar/19 for my full size Berlina gloss black 20X8 rim on ebay.

I would check out multiple sites for the replacement rim; especially, shipping cost. Some sites give you a cheaper price and make up the difference on shipping.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts