Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2015 MDX tech model in March of 2018. While trying to get directions for my out-of-town in-laws home address, I discovered that their entire street, and other streets around it, were not to be found. I can see the street on the Navi map itself, but when I try to select the street name, it is not there in the alphabetic list of streets. It's an established neighborhood (circa 2005), so I would have thought by now their street should be available to select. I'm getting no help from Acura support...they directed me to Here Technologies map creator program, and the street I'm looking for is on their map. Any thoughts? Is this unusual, or and are others having problems with this?

·
Registered
904 Posts
So none of the auto makers develop their own mapping databases. Those are all done by 3rd party companies and sold to whoever is willing to purchase them. There are relatively few of them in existence, so it's not like they have a lot of choices. On top of that the auto makers don't even develop their own Nav units. That is also outsourced to 3rd parties. In the end Honda/Acura has no control over these isolated issues. When I encounter an issue like this I either find an address nearby that works or use the Nav menu to save my current location while I am there for future use.

There is always the chance that if you update your Nav version it will have been corrected in the later version, but even that is not guaranteed. Your current version is likely 4 years old.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My '14 is quite retarded. Rather than punch a hole in the screen, I just went and bought a Garmin Nuvi with free lifetime updates for less than Acura charges for a single update.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My '14 is quite retarded. Rather than punch a hole in the screen, I just went and bought a Garmin Nuvi with free lifetime updates for less than Acura charges for a single update.
Definitely a cost effective approach, but negates the the aesthetics point of having it built into the car. I love the technology now coming into the market of using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to get Waze integration, but given the low likelihood of me buying anything newer than 5 years old that's at least 5 years away for me. The 2018 model year is the first year Acura supported these platforms for the MDX.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts