Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Acura MDX, 180,000 miles.

My MDX is running rich and it's uses up a lot of gas, 11.5 a gallon.

I've put up some photos with the DTC codes and the freeze frame for advice on where to start with my trouble.

So far I've graph my O2 sensor bank one and bank two and there are moving along good, I do not see any problem with my O2 sensors. All my fuel injectors are clicking and I do not hear any vacuum leaks or see any lose hoses, and wires.

Where should I start my fix with the problem I'm having?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Have the valves ever been adjusted? Plugs changed? Either one is WAY overdue on a 180,000 mile MDX, and could be causing your misfires.

FWIW, I replaced both upstream (pre-cat) O2 sensors just as a preventive maintenance thing (figuring they were cheap than burning even a tiny bit more gas per mile, since I drive a lot of miles). The common wisdom is that they can be suspect over 100,000 miles, and they are the primary "mechanical" item that determines the fuel/air mixture.

Is that 11.5 (miles?) per gallon highway, mixed, or around town? Regular or premium? Does the vehicle seem to be running "right"?

Other common problems that affect mileage are the PCV valve (dirt cheap and dead easy to change - you should do this "just because" if it hasn't been done previously), and the EGR valve (search on this and see what's involved).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Coolant temp is low (165F) which could indicate lazy thermostat unless car was not completely warm when code set.

Fuel trims are a bit negative indicating a rich condition was managed by fuel control (Long Term Fuel Trim). This would not account for fuel consumption.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts