Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a check engine light for 4 cylinder misfires- 1,3,5,6 as well as the torque convertor. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I just did park plugs 30,000KM ago and I checked the spark plugs and theyre still okay.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I can do the work myself.

The car has just under 212 000KM

·
Registered
58 Posts
After clearing codes does this misfire feel like its missing or cant feel anything at all?

Try if this is felt missing in morning when cold or when hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi All, I just joined after getting help from this site for a P0305 code for my 2006 MDX I've had since new. I ended up adjusting the valves and found spark plugs #2 and #3 needed tightening - about 3/4 turn and 1/4 turn, respectively. It has 141K miles with last valve adjustment at about 83K miles after getting a P0175 code.) Here's the sequence I went through, one at a time (with some learnings after the fact). MIL reset with battery disconnect each time.

1. Swapped coil #5 with coil #4.

2. Inspected and then swapped #5 spark plug with #6. (Should have checked tightness of all plugs.)

3. Swapped ignition coil relay with horn relay. The logic was to swap with a relay that isn't used much. The ignition coil relay is located in front of the PCM, behind the passenger headlight, in a 4 relay box. The relay is the only 4 pin relay of the four.

4. Cursory check EGR. Removed, checked if passed was clogged or valve appeared open. Didn't have a code so didn't worry about too much.

5. Since they were way easier to get to, checked the valve clearance on the front cylinders - 4, 5, 6. Started with #5 but found all exhausts were below spec (tight) at about 0.008 and intakes were above spec at 0.010-12. Specs: Intake 0.008-0.009 inch, Exhaust 0.011-0.013 inch. Heads < 100 deg F.

6. After R&R of the plenum, found the same/similar valve clearance in the back bank. The is when I found the two slightly loose plugs.

Reassembled and restarted. Runs smooth and quiet. After all this I wondered if I set the valve clearance backwards at 83K or the two loose plugs had a part since #2 fires before #5 and then #3. Well, at 83K, the intakes were fine so I left them alone and most of the exhausts had no clearance.

Hope at least some of this helps. I appreciate all the contributors for helping me. Thanks!

·
Registered
710 Posts
How long did it take to do the adjustment?
The valve adjustment took about 1.5 hrs for the front and 3 hrs for the back. The 1.5 includes the time to do a pretty extensive wipe down of the top and esp under the plenum, and around the valve cover/head interface to keep gunk from falling into the valve train. The back took extra time to R&R the plenum and similarly clean the valve cover/head. A few hassles for the back (for me) included not being able to figure out how to remove the injector cable tray, basic reach distance, and getting a good position for the feeler gauges - had a few redos. The cable tray moves enough to get the cover off but there was some manipulation required. I was by myself so cranking the balancer and aligning the cam gear to TDC was tedious. A helper could watch the cam gear and speed things up.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
If you did not use NGK plugs than you will have a misfire on your vehicle.
I've read this before, but can't imagine it's true. Yes, I'd certainly recommend using high-quality iridium plugs, but AFAIK, there isn't anything magic about the NGK plugs (or anything wrong with 'em either).

FWIW, I replaced my plugs with Bosch 9604 two years ago during a valve adjustment. I haven't seen a single misfire code in that time, and the vehicle runs as well as I'd expect it ever could, and gets "proper gas mileage". And FWIW, I paid a whopping $5 a pop for my Bosch plugs.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I found an error in my post above and seems I can't edit it so adding a reply here. The location of the ignition coil relay in Item 3 in my post above is wrong. The correct location in an 06 per my factory service manual is above the passenger side fuse box in the cabin. It's a block of 4 and it's the relay nearest the passenger side front tire. It is the same relay as the horn. So the swap in Item 3 was not done (at least with the ignition coil relay).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just recently had the valves adjusted on my 2001 for the first time. I was at around 188,000. Spark plugs have been changed at regular intervals with NGK's. My exhaust valves were tight. I haven't noticed any difference in starting or driving the car. Only that my gas mileage MPG has jumped way up (+25-30%). Town / mixed = 18.5mpg, backroad / highway 20.7mpg.

Local honda mechanic did the adjustment = 2-hours time ($190) + 2 gaskets ($33.28). Dealer is $500+

1 - 14 of 14 Posts