Vehicle: 2004 Acura MDX
Engine: Honda 3.5 VTEC
Miles: 180K
Oil Analysis: Yes
Oil/type: SuperTech 5W-20 Synthetic
Consumption: 1 qt/10K avg. with no leakage
Change Interval: 10K
Oil filter: Purolator PureOne
Trips: 15 mi each way to work with monthly 185 mi each way trip that's mostly interstate
Driving habit: Average, with minimal hard acceleration

Having gotten excellent service from this vehicle thus far, I'm interested in any suggestions on minimizing engine wear since repair or replacement of engine (and transmission) will be the big ticket items going forward. I prefer oil change intervals that are frequent enough to prevent engine wear, but not so frequent that time, oil, and filters are wasted. Oil analysis comments state that I could exceed the 10k change interval, but I don't know if oil analysis is the final verdict on change interval when it comes to minimizing wear. I'm considering going to Amsoil Signature Series oil under the assumption that the additional cost will be offset by extended engine life. I'm interested in any documented case studies that help to eliminate speculation regarding the topic. What specific and general advice can you offer for getting the most miles out of this and any other engine?

·
Registered
206 Posts
No documented case studies for me, I'd just cut loose with a few extra dollars and buy a high quality name brand oil (SuperTech, really?), and reduce the change intervals to maybe 8k miles. Over 100k miles, that is only 2.5 more oil changes, which is pocket change.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If oil analysis doesn't show problems w/ fuel dilution (due to short drives), I think you're fine.

If fuel dlilution is an issue then go w/ 5K change interval and Supertech dino oil. Good stuff!

good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm rather curious about a lot of the fluids in general.

I recall seeing a commercial - maybe it was for Castrol Syntech - where some guy opens the drain plug and lets all of the oil out of the engine, and it keeps running...

Clearly, the petrochemical industry has developed myriad compounds that bind to and remain on the surface of the metal. I've wondered if some of these things are in the magic fluids that people pour into every orifice of their cars - with only the promise of some anonymous marketing executive.
I also wonder (I'm _just_ wondering) if there are certain compounds - molybdenum disulfide, micronized teflon, 2-stroke oil anti-wear agents - that could be used in non-filtered compartments to decrease friction and wear in the event of fluid viscosity / adhesion breakdown. Perhaps the differential or transfer case.

I don't have access to an automotive engineer to explain WHY certain fluids were developed and WHY they have specific properties and other OEM specs, but nevertheless, my curiosity is piqued. Maybe some folks on this forum have some insight.

Thanks, and good luck with maintaining your engine. Sounds like you're attentive to the PM, so you're way ahead of most people. :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
I owned an auto repair shop in the vicinity of Beacon, NY, where the Texaco Research Facility was located until 2003. One of my customers worked there as an engineer, and we regularly discussed lubrication products. The company spent millions of dollars a year to try to improve their products. I took a tour of the facility, and it was a gearhead's dream. Dozens of cubicles with engines and transmissions running through various speed and load and temperature cycles on dynamometers.

I was given a good overview of motor oil additives (EP, VI, Anti-oxidants, etc.) which constitute about 15% of modern oils (the other 85% is "base stock"). I was told that these additives must be very carefully balanced, as they interact with each other, and that because of this, using aftermarket additives is Russian Roulette in chemistry.

The bottom line is that the best lubricants are API service rated, and staying with the manufacturers recommendations is almost always best.

That said, I will admit to using 5W20 synthetic rather than the Acura recommended 0W20 when I tow with my MDX in hot weather.

Interesting info on gear lube here: http://www.torcousa.com/innov-lub-101.html

BTW, I purchase my Honda/Acura genuine ATF at my local CARQUEST store for 7.99 a quart.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Acura MDX
I'm interested in any suggestions on minimizing engine wear since repair or replacement of engine (and transmission) will be the big ticket items going forward.
Transmissions often fail before engines, Honda Acura included. Transmission maintenance might yield more benefit than an exotic synthetic motor oil for the engine. Transmission maintenance including changing transmission fluid, transmission filter if external and can be replaced, pressure switches. See link. TransCooler
If a true synthetic is what you want in a transmission fluid, Honda Acura ATF does not say synthetic on the bottle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oilchange,
I have a question directly related to both your post and the link referenced therein.
Please refer to the new thread I'm posting.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts