Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
jj-mdx,

Do you happen to remember the gas guage readings when:

(1) The fuel low warning light first came on [approx. 3.8 gals remaining in tank].

(2) You pulled into the gas station [approx. 1.7 gals remaining in tank].

I would really appreciate this info ... Steven

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
jj-mdx,

At fill-up [when trip computer indicated 19 miles to empty], you could have actually driven 32.13 miles [1.7 gals @ 18.9 mpg]. That assumes that you continued to get 18.9 mpg [maybe yes, maybe no, depends].

At the time the warning light came on, you actually had 71.82 miles remaining [3.7 gals @ 18.9 mpg]. That assumes that you continued to get 18.9 mpg [maybe yes, maybe no, depends].

;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
srpbep said:
jj-mdx,

Do you happen to remember the gas guage readings when:

(1) The fuel low warning light first came on [approx. 3.8 gals remaining in tank].

(2) You pulled into the gas station [approx. 1.7 gals remaining in tank].

I would really appreciate this info ... Steven
Steven-

when the fuel low warning light first came on, the tip of the gas gauge was pointing at about 10% full (about 2 grids above the big red empty line)... it certainly didn't look like that i still had 20% of the gas left...

when i pulled into the gas station, right before the fill-up, the tip of the gauge was way below the red line(empty line), maybe by a half grid... i was really kind of worried, because of the long waiting line at sam's club's gas station....

i think your calculation is correct, my other car's low fuel warning light also comes up at about 20% left ....

james (i guess this answers the his/her part...:D )

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
jj-mdx [James],

Thanks for the feedback. We haven't experimented with the behavior of the gas guage yet. Since it is likely that our MDX will respond as yours has, you have probably saved me from having to run this test.

Good to know that guage red line is still not empty [e.g. needle will drop below red].

Thanks again ... Steven

·
Registered
34 Posts
My recent experience with the gas gauge was troubling. I was running low from the computer readout and the gas light also was went on. The gauge was slightly below the red line and since the light was bright for about 15/20 miles I conceded and got gas.

It only took 16.2 gals. That means I had another 3 gals or approx 50 mi.

Can the gas gauge be off that much? Is it adjustable? It does have the tendancy to fall faster on the 2nd half of tank than the 1st half.
I wondered if anyone else had a similar issue.

·
Registered
285 Posts
according to steven's calculation, and my experience, your calculation is probably right... i only did fill-up twice, the first time i pumped in 16.5 galons, 17.5 for the second time... and when i pull into the gas station, my gas gauge needle was way below the red empty line (by at least half a grid).... so, no sweat there....

yeap, the gas gauge falls off faster in the second half, acturally, it falls off very fast in all ranges....:p

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
What is Faster??

originally posted by jj-mdx:
yeap, the gas gauge falls off faster in the second half, acturally, it falls off very fast in all ranges....
What is faster:

(1) The MDX

(2) The gas gauge

:confused: ;) :D

21 - 27 of 27 Posts