Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove from Boston suburb to Greenville, SC and back over the holidays and averaged only 21 mpg on the interstates (84, 81, 77, 85). I made an effort to conserve fuel but it did not seem to help. Only two of us in the MDX. Checked the tire air pressure and it ranged between 28.5 and 29.5 cold. Could that be the problem?

MDX rode and handled great! Visiability also excellent!

Jack

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Do a Search on mileage

That is typical; virtually no car does as good as the EPA estimates posted on the sticker - your 21 isn't far off the EPA estimate:rolleyes:

For what it is worth the mileage improves with age (after ~5000 miles or so).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Do a Search on mileage

msu79gt82 said:
That is typical; virtually no car does as good as the EPA estimates posted on the sticker - your 21 isn't far off the EPA estimate:rolleyes:

For what it is worth the mileage improves with age (after ~5000 miles or so).
My Pathfinder gets 20 MPG on the highways its epa is 15/18.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A friend of ours test drove our MDX and thought the tires may be over inflated. Sure enough, they were at 42 PSI cold.

Checked the manual at it says the tires should be at 32 psi.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Pathfinder....

andrewX said:

My Pathfinder gets 20 MPG on the highways its epa is 15/18.
Must be nice!! Since the bigger tires I get between 13-15 highway. Just took it from DC to Charleston, SC over Christmas. First tank was 13 and second was 15. Of course I was using 4wd to get through snow for part of the trip on Christmas Day.

I used to get 20 mpg when stock and I kept it below 65. Never did get decent mpg in the 1998 Pathfinder, but I still love it!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Just came back from a 1300 mile weekend road trip to Tampa Bay. Averaged 20-21 mpg. I normally average 18.5 mpg during regular everyday driving. I am impressed.

JackL: What MPG do you THINK you should be getting for a "BUS" moving that much air down the highway??

One further note: I was one of the people who complained about the MDX seats being uncomfortable but after making small adjustments I have to say that my 7 hour trip was a "dream."

·
Registered
159 Posts
My stats:

MDX 21 MGP on the free way and 15 in the city
TLs 31 MPG on the freeway and 16 in the city

Its not to bad!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Pathfinder....

TopDog said:

Must be nice!! Since the bigger tires I get between 13-15 highway. Just took it from DC to Charleston, SC over Christmas. First tank was 13 and second was 15. Of course I was using 4wd to get through snow for part of the trip on Christmas Day.

I used to get 20 mpg when stock and I kept it below 65. Never did get decent mpg in the 1998 Pathfinder, but I still love it!
Yeah it depends how fast you go. As much as I love to drive fast, if I'm in no rush at all I keep it at 60 MPH on cruise. I've never used 4wd on the highway although I was tempted to tonight as it didn't feel that tight on the highway with the snow coming down (very lighly, more like a very thin layer of slush on the road) but I kept it in 2WD the whole time.

About the only time I take it above 65 is when I'm late (and the highway is clear which is never the case.. Murphay's law) or after I get a car wash, instead of letting the kids scratch up my car with their towels - I just go on the highway and go as fast as possible to dry it off - works pretty good)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: Re: Pathfinder....

Have you bought an MDX yet or just gathering information. I have one on order and am deciding whether or not to keep my Pathfinder. It's been a faithful servant for 122,000 miles with some heavy off-road usage (and suspension lift kit/tires to help it).

andrewX said:

Yeah it depends how fast you go. As much as I love to drive fast, if I'm in no rush at all I keep it at 60 MPH on cruise. I've never used 4wd on the highway although I was tempted to tonight as it didn't feel that tight on the highway with the snow coming down (very lighly, more like a very thin layer of slush on the road) but I kept it in 2WD the whole time.

About the only time I take it above 65 is when I'm late (and the highway is clear which is never the case.. Murphay's law) or after I get a car wash, instead of letting the kids scratch up my car with their towels - I just go on the highway and go as fast as possible to dry it off - works pretty good)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Noticed a significant increase in MPG when I use the cruise control more. Averaged 20.6 last tank, mix of driving conditions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Pathfinder....

TopDog said:
Have you bought an MDX yet or just gathering information. I have one on order and am deciding whether or not to keep my Pathfinder. It's been a faithful servant for 122,000 miles with some heavy off-road usage (and suspension lift kit/tires to help it).

I'm looking for a new SUV soon. I've been reading posts here for probably 4-5 months. I have an early 2001 LE - and don't have the auto-4wd later ones recieved.

I had previously had a 1999 SE. I loved both of them but the platform is aging and I'm not sure about Nissan's replacement for it. They have the new murano but thats not my type, and they have a new full size, again not for me, and neither is the xterra thats too small. I haven't heard anything about a new Pathfinder.

I have been researching my options. The MDX is one of the vehicles I'm currently looking at.

OT Question but what size tires do you have on it? What type of lift as well? My 2001 is bone stock besides a few accessories.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Pathfinder....

andrewX said:

OT Question but what size tires do you have on it? What type of lift as well? My 2001 is bone stock besides a few accessories.
My 1998 has custom springs from Valley Spring Works in CA (I live near Washington, DC) and run 31" BF Goodrich All-Terrain KOs on 15x8 American Racing rims. I also have Stillen slotted front disc brakes to help with the increased unsprung weight. That's the basics. I also added some other stuff on the interior. I haven't done much with the truck since 2000. That's when I bought a motorcycle and that has consumed most of my free time. Change of hobbies... Feel free to contact me off-line at [email protected] for more Pathfinder information.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had my 03 MDX for about a month now (3000 miles) To date I've averaged 15.8 MPG. As you can imagine (3k in 30 days) I've done a fair amount of highway driving.

The bad news = the MDX eats gas
The good new = It has plenty of power, it's fast, being an ULEV it doesn't poop out as much bad stuff as other car that get simalar milage (That's what I tell my wife anyway)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mileage

I am on my first tank of gas - down to about 1/4 tank right now. I have 17.2 avg mpg in a mix of local and highway.

I know that I need a larger sample size of miles, but I am encouraged so far!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Disappointing Mileage

I too drove 1,600+ miles over the holiday and I was very disappointed with my mileage. In fact, I've been disappointed in mileage since day one. Combo city/freeway I get 19 max. In town only about 16-18. Pure freeway I struggled to get 21. Not driving hard. Since it's winter the auto AC is not on either. I've noticed this eats an MPG or so regardless of city or freeway.

On my trip home from the midwest, I pulled a small trailer and talk about mileage sucking. One one tank I averaged a mere 13.3. Now, this was driving 75MPH (and sometimes a bit faster), wife, and two teenagers. The trailer had no more than 1500 punds in it. I did find that keeping the speed at 70 would keep the RPM's down and I could get about 17MPG. Below 70 and the RPM's were too high and there goes the mileage...I have a 3,000 lb ski boat and I can see trailering this a long distance is going break me in gas.

Traveling a long distance (and especially trailering) is where I wish I had a bigger gas tank. It seemed like I was always preparing to get gas. 19 gal (sloshing) tank is too small for this vehicle.

Now, to compare against another vehicle and trip, my vette (c5 with a 6 sp), the EPA rates this at 28MPG and on the same midwest trip I averaged almost 32MPG. And I drove very fast for extended distances. So I got better than EPA estimates and I drove it aggressively. I drive the X easier and I struggle to meet the sticker. I'm at 3,200 miles so maybe it will improve as the vehicle continues to age.

-Greg

03 SS/Quartz/Nav/Res

·
Registered
203 Posts
My X has a nearly 3,000 on it now. The gas mileage keeps creeping upward. My last tank was (not a full tank either) was 24.1 on my commute. I average around 70 - 75 mph on the freeway with little in town stuff. My previous best was 23.5. If I leave the cruise on I have averaged around 25. This engine keeps on getting better the more I drive it. Actually the entire vehicle feels a bit "looser", much more fun to drive than my first month of ownership. Sunday my wife told me that my car (the X) is a lot of fun to drive. She was hesitant when we first owned it but now does some serious driving in the X drivers seat. She likes the way it handles on the entrance/exit ramps at speed.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just passed 1,000 miles and I am only getting 14-15 MPG in city driving. Very disappointing compared to my RX300 which was getting 19-20 on the same commute. The EPA city rating on the MDX is only 1 or 2 MPG less than the RX. I admit that I do drive like I'm in my Corvette, but that's how I drove the RX too.

I understand that the MDX is much larger and heavier. I also know that it will probably do the same or better than the RX on the highway due to the 5 speed.

I also have concerns about the 1-2 shift RPM, there was a thread about this a few months ago. Under normal conditions, it won't shift into 2nd until around 3,500 rpm. The lowest I can get it to shift under any circumstances is about 2,500. Do all MDX's do this, or is it only the 2003's? I wonder if there is a pattern here between the high rpm shifts and poor gas mileage on the 2003's.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Summer/Winter Mileage

I live out in the country so I have a typical commute over 2 lane country roads ranging in speeds from 35-55 mph. MDX has a little over 18K miles on it.

In the summer my MDX averaged about 20.5 to 21.5 mpg for my commute.
Now that winter has hit, my mileage has dropped to about 17.5 mpg. We've had a bit of snow this year and the VTM has definitely been engaged alot, but I am surprised the difference. Of course, winter gas may be having an impact also.

Note: I took a 4000+ mile trip with my X in August fully loaded with 5 adults and a Thule box on top. My trip average was 23.6 mpg which I thought was fantastic considering the speeds (75-85mph), load, the Rocky Mountains, and the box...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello

We took delivery on a 2003 Touring. Drove on New Years eve, from ATL to SRQ 510 miles. During a portion, checked mileage, 334 miles in 4:30 =74.2 mph. Gas to refill, 15.4gal =21.8 mpg, all checked using calculator. Winter fuel, up north has a different formula. Keeping your cruise control on helps. I expect mileage will improve the engine is broken-in (about 3k to 5k)(bearing clearances opening up and pistons ring seating against cylinder walls)
Jim:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Pathfinder....

andrewX said:

I'm looking for a new SUV soon. I've been reading posts here for probably 4-5 months. I have an early 2001 LE - and don't have the auto-4wd later ones recieved.

I had previously had a 1999 SE. I loved both of them but the platform is aging and I'm not sure about Nissan's replacement for it. They have the new murano but thats not my type, and they have a new full size, again not for me, and neither is the xterra thats too small. I haven't heard anything about a new Pathfinder.

I have been researching my options. The MDX is one of the vehicles I'm currently looking at.

I'm in the same, exact situation as andrewX. I need a bigger, but not full-size, SUV due to the arrival of my Twins. I really like the Pathfinder and if it were bigger, I would stick with it. Nissan has nothing to offer in the MDX/Pilot/XC90 size range. Also, the Pathfinder does not seem to be as safe as the MDX, Pilot, or XC90. Thus, my SUV shopping has commenced late last year.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts