Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miles at Delivery?

With apologies if this is in the wrong thread, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 2016, but the dealer doesn't have the color combination that I want, so they'd have to do a swap. The car that they had a line on would probably have more than 200 miles on it (it's been around).

While I know that a new car is technically a new car until it has been registered, how many miles would you tolerate/think I should tolerate on a vehicle at delivery?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
357 Posts
While more than usual I'd still buy it. Probably from bunch of test drives. You usually don't get a yahoo test driving these kind of cars, so no biggie. Now, if it was a Porsche or a Corvette I'd want it with under 5 miles on it ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had the same issue when I bought mine. But they didn't even tell me. As I was doing the paperwork they mentioned my car had 78 miles on it. I was annoyed since it should have been discussed before that point. They actually lied to me how the miles were accumulated (I determined later the car was used for some intro drives for potential customers, the dealer told me the car was swapped, but when I reviewed all the paperwork later I figured out it was never swapped) Lexus is very strict about this, no more than 8 miles on purchase unless a demo car, at least that has always been my experience with Lexus. Acura seems to let the dealers do what they want and they honestly do not take any responsibility for any issues their cars have. I did speak to a number of Acura dealers about this and it seems like if a car has under 200 miles on it it is consider new which didn't sit well with me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Our experience has been that one car with did this with had just the number of miles from the other dealership to ours, and it was all good. Another vehicle had the mileage driven from the other dealership to ours, but it had a huge rock chip. So look extra hard at delivery. The worst experience was a van that, when delivered, had many cosmetic issues and I would not have bought it if I'd seen it in person. The dealer fixed the problems, but I sorta wished I'd been able to see the exact van first. Oh well, that was five years ago and I am almost over it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You might be able to find out on cars.com which dealer has the one you want and then go look and maybe buy it from them. It might be cheaper if no swapping is involved.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
You might be able to find out on cars.com which dealer has the one you want and then go look and maybe buy it from them. It might be cheaper if no swapping is involved.
I second that advice including just looking for this exact vehicle at the different dealers' websites for their 'new inventory' which sometimes is reasonably accurate.

In addition, I'd use the above technique to search inventory yourself of dealers within a reasonable radius. For me that'd probably within a couple hour drive in which case I'd hit a large number of dealerships. I have I think 5 dealerships within about 30 minutes of my house. You may find the options you want elsewhere with lower miles on it. The question is - would you be willing to drive 30-60 minutes or so further to pick up your car with the lower miles on it or just get this higher mileage car? Remember that it doesn't matter where you buy it, you can take it to any Acura dealership for service. I've done exactly this a few times with different vehicles.

On the mileage - while the 200 miles means it's gotten around somewhat and may have had a number of people drive it, it's still only 200 miles - which you're liable to put on it in the first week or two.

Given that it has this number of miles, check it out extra closely. Realize that it's probably been pulled into parking spots by people unfamiliar with the car many times and has had the doors opened while in those spots many time - lots of opportunity for various nicks and scratches. Of course, check the vehicle out thoroughly when it arrives and make sure you can refuse it if you don't like it even though it was a special transfer at your request.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Everyone on this site advises buyers to "take a thorough, if not long, test drive" to make sure there are no issues before you buy. Is it reasonable to expect a test drive, and still expect less than 10 miles on the vehicle? Mine only had 28 miles when I got it, but I would have thought it reasonable to have close to 100 or so. We can't have it both ways...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah I put 40 miles on mine before I signed the paperwork. Unfortunately, it did develop a creak/rattle noise in the driver door arm rest after the fact.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, all, for the advice.

Dealer is trying to get me another one, and I suspect I know where it's coming from. Interestingly, Dealer #1 gave me a better price than the dealer who has the car (whom I had also reached out to previously).

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and Dealer #1 to bow out on the process.

I'll keep you posted.

Greg

·
Registered
353 Posts
My advice would be to thoroughly inspect this vehicle and not because it has 200 miles on it. Acura quality in terms of Craftsmanship is not a given. Inspect all panel gaps. Are they even and tight across the board? How about bumper cover alignment? Hood to fender gaps on each side. Etc. Do the same inside with all the plastic trim pieces. Do they sit tight from dash to A-pillar? Check how well the interior skin of the door aligns to the dash. Check the trim that covers the carpet where it terminates near the door sills. Check the paint quality, look for excessive orange peel and or spots in the clear from the factory.

Take it for a test drive on bumpy roads. See if it rattles and squeaks over bumps. Does it have a lot of wind noise? This could mean poor weatherstrip installation or panel alignment.

If I had two same MDXs next to each other and one had 200 miles on it and passed the inspection above and other had some gaps and squeaks I would take the one with 200 miles any day.

A lot people (myself in the past) would grab the keys and go assuming the one you buy will be just fine. For a lease car I would care much less but for one I'm going to own I'd put in the effort.

PS - Just remembered, check if the paint on the bumper covers matches the body. Some Acura's don't some do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My advice would be to thoroughly inspect this vehicle and not because it has 200 miles on it. Acura quality in terms of Craftsmanship is not a given.
Thanks - great advice.

BTW, I looked for one, and my search skills may be poor, but is there a sticky here for MDX specific things to do at time of delivery?

I appreciate all the help, and promise to be more active here with my 2016 than I've been with my 2012.

Greg

·
Registered
353 Posts
Welcome. If you have the time you might want to test out the Audio system to see if the speakers and/or panels rattle. Pop the hood and do a visual for the basics (caps on?), fluid levels if you don't think they will think you are a crazed freak.

While I say their craftsmanship is not the best, I will say the actual material quality is good. Cars tend to run quite a while with minimum/manageable repair from my experience.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
but is there a sticky here for MDX specific things to do at time of delivery?
I don't know but I've made a few posts of things to check out which include -

- Test drive without the radio on listening to thumps/rattles/ticking/ or any other unexpected sounds over a variety of road surfaces and speeds. Test thoroughly - not just a quick trip around the block.
- Pay attention to how the transmission shifts which means trying it in different accel/decel circumstances. Make sure you're okay with its behavior.
- Check the body panels for fit and finish paying special attention to panel alignment with adjacent panels.
- Spend some time using the Infotainment system and Nav including voice commands. Make sure you understand how it operates to the point where you'll be satisfied to have it even if it isn't perfect. It would help if you'd download the Nav user guide from the Acura site ('Owners' area) first and give it a read so you can know what to expect. Don't rely on a salesperson's advice or direction.
- Make sure you know that if you don't get an AWD you'll also not get a spare tire. It can be added but at extra cost.
- Try out whatever 'tech safety features' your model has so you understand how the lane departure warning, etc. work.
- Do the other inspections one should do when buying any vehicle. Don't 'assume' it'll be perfect just because it's the proverbial $50K vehicle (a term and scenario bandied about by some on this forum).

·
Registered
366 Posts
The dealer I bought mine had 50+ MDX. It seemed all of them had 8 miles on them unless they had been test driven. While it was a large dealer, it wasn't on a particularly large lot, and I imagine from the truck/delivery to the shop for inspection to the lot, etc. is all less than 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yeah, technically mine had 15miles vs the 5 it was listed at, but the plastic was still covering everything when I sat in it, so I was fine with it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
On the plus side for a higher mileage new vehicle - it's possible some initial issues, a rattle, thump, non-operational item, etc., may have already been discovered and corrected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife really wanted fathom blue, which was only available at a dealer in CT. My Massachusetts dealer indicated he could do a swap, but his "guy" would literally drive the car from CT to MA, so it would have ~150 miles on it. My wife preferred to wait another 2 weeks for our MA dealer to get a fathom blue vehicle fresh off the truck, so ours only had 3 miles on it at pick up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, everybody, again, for all the help.

As it turned out the color that I had originally wanted wasn't available, at multiple dealers, so I wound up with a Graphite Advance, minus a nice discount for the color change. Good deal all around.

There are some definite peculiarities compared to my 2012, but I'm actually finding some of the things that I had really worried about (navi, loss of a real gear shift) to be not nearly as bad as I was concerned, and a lot of things that work far better than my 2012.

There are some weirdnesses - I was shocked to find no fog lights (I hadn't noticed discussions of that here earlier), and the fact that you can't seem to close the rear hatch without pushing the button (I'm a little type A, and it takes too long), but I'm enjoying the drive.

If anybody needs a good guy in the SF Bay Area, let me know - the guy I worked with was very professional and easy to deal with.

Greg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts