Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Mileage

12K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  symmetrical 
#1 ·
What type of Mileage are you getting. Please include Year and Model.

#7 · (Edited)
Depends on the driver, conditions, ...

2008 - 19-21 City, 24-26 Highway for this past month. However, things will drop once the winter blends start popping up in a couple of months. I suspect that with the blend and colder temps, drop a couple MPGs off either.

PS - the onboard computations are generous to say the least. For me, I average about 2 MPGs lower than what the computer posts on the dash display. You need to either go old school and do the math or use a Scangauge/Ultragauge.

#8 ·
2012 with less than 1,000 miles. Wife has been averaging 18 in mixed driving. Just did our first trip and averaged 20.9 on BP 93 octane. MID has been really close to manual calc.

For this trip it was 150 miles each way and then 57 miles of suburban driving, and return. For the leg down I put cruise on 70 (avg speed 64). Got 21.8 on that leg. 57 miles of suburban and a couple cold starts pulled the average down to 20.5. Return leg put cruise on 75 (avg speed 72) and returned 21.4 for that leg. Pumped 17.05 gallons on 357 miles. We live 2 miles from highway so the traveling legs were pretty much all highway and we hit no traffic. Very impressed considering this is a green motor...my last Honda didn't really get max mileage until over 10k. I can tell city driving would be horrible, but luckily we do little to none of that.

#13 ·
We have 2012 Advance. Got about 17mpg on the first two tanks of gas (both 91 with 10 ethanol). Getting about 18.5 on the current tank of gas (90 octane ethanol free). Total current mileage is 850ish, no oil changes yet, of course.

#14 ·
04 and typically get 15-17 avg in mixed city/highway (unfortunately the highway sometimes is basically city considering the stop/go of ATL traffic)

#15 ·
2003 Touring and I get on average 15.2L / 100km or about 15.5 mpg (city/highway mix) according to my record keeping. I use the A/C as required but otherwise drive pretty calmly. Unfortunately, being in Toronto, there's a lot of traffic everywhere I go, even on the highway.

#17 ·
2012 Tech with under 1800 miles. averaging just under 19. Have exceeded the 21 highway EPA twice with 22. All calcs done manually although I have found the on board calcuation to be pretty accurate. Have used only 93 octane. More price per gallon loyal than brand loyal.

#24 ·
2nd tank was half 93 and half 89 octane. Averaged out to 17.9mpg of mixed driving. Trip calculator on the nav said 18.4mpg, but it was wrong. I've found that those things usually are. Went 320 miles on 17.8g.

Filled up with 89 octane this time. Interesting to see the numbers at next fillup. Driving is the same week to week.

#20 ·
~ 18 mpg, combined.

#21 ·
We are at about 2700 miles. I'm still getting between 19-20..my commute is a 12 mile drive on country roads (55 mph speed limit) with about 5 stop signs. Our mpg dropped to around 14 when doing city driving this weekend. I'm using mostly 90 octane ethanol free.

#25 ·
MPGs are related to the avg MPH you are driving. a % of city vs hwy driving means nothing. city driving can be defined in a multitude of ways depending on where you live and how the car is being driven. some people's city is in stop and go traffic of metro areas, other people's city is in moving conditions cruising around a non-urban roadways which are not riddled with heavy volume.

with that said:
09 with tech, 93 octane
17 MPG at avg speed of 25 MPH (this is my typical).
i've had as high as 24 MPG at avg speed of 67mph (300 mile road trip with hitch rack and bikes hanging off the back end and cargo in the back). this is with the AC on.

for those with under the EPA 15mpg, you are most likely sitting in bumper to bumper traffic and stop/go stoplights at every block.

#26 ·
I have an 09' Tech Package, fist things first, the difference between the my mdx and some of you with the newer ones is that my 09' has a 5 speed tans, vs. the 6 speed so that's one factor. I put 87 octane in my x now, in return I get around 17.5 mpg in the city on average. I have tried putting premium in it before and didn't see any difference in performance or in fuel economy. Now as far as engine health, I have done ALOT of research and with these newer cars, the CPU corrects for the knock that you would have in older cars because of the octane rating. If you are putting premium gas in your MDX you are wasting your money. For those of you who are mixing tanks (87/93:91 Exxon/BP) you are an idiot that is wasting your time. I can assure you that my X will last up to 300,000 miles because I don't drive it super hard and change the oil every 5,000 miles.

#27 ·
Calling someone an idiot for putting premium fuel into a luxury SUV for which you paid a premium is a little out of line. If you want to put regular in your MDX, no one is stopping you and I'm pretty sure that no one will call you an idiot for it. Now, I will choose to put premium in my wife's MDX because we bought it knowing it will require so. Acura put in a 3.7L engine with 11.0:1 compression which is considered high compression.

On our way back from Florida to Michigan, we averaged between high 19's to mid 23MPG. This is actual calculated MPG. The trip computer is actually pretty optimistic in this regard. When we averaged 25 according to the computer, real world results were 23.5. 25 indicated (23.5 actual) consisted of steady 70-75MPH cruise

Here's the result of about 50 miles of back country roads averaging roughly 55MPH with a few stops for lights and stop signs. :D

#30 ·
One of the guys posted this.

"I currently have a customer in with a 2008 MDX who has been using regular and I mean JUNK regular, and has burnt a valve. Please people, The engine was designed to run on Premium unleaded. It matters! If you dont want to put the correct gas in the vehicle, be prepared for the potential consequences."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.