Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am very excited having taken delivery of my SBP, RES+Navi over the previous weekend. The ONLY concern I have had is the mileage. I got my MDX with a full tank (91 octane I assume) from the dealer and with only 90 miles on the car it's at 1/2 tank. The trip computer reports 10.6 mpg. Ouch!!!

Any ideas if this is to be expected during the breakin period. Also, most of the trips have been short runs of 5-6 miles round trip. I wonder if that too has a bearing on the poor mileage.

Thanks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You need to take the gears out of D1 and D2 !!
I would check the actual mileage after a fillup to see if your trip computer is correct? Sure seems low by any standards for the MDX unless you idle as much as it is driven?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I would start fresh the next time you fill up. Reset the computer and see the mileage. That number does seem a little on the low side, unless you idle alot or do a lot of starts and stops.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
That number is definitely low, could be the dealer didn't completely fill it. I would do as the others have suggested, wait until the next time you fill it yourself and then check it. The mileage will get better once the break-in period is over too. Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
595 Posts
HI..

That is way too low.. The worst mileage I ever got was 14.5 mpg and that's cause I was drag racing every chance I got.. was in bad mode, and bad way to hurt my x...

Try not to drag race, and dont step too hard.

Just relax and let it ride.. I am in traffic most of the time, but I get 18.4 to 18.7 mpg now..

Myabe Mobil 1 helped? not sure about that.. but yeah.. agrresive drving cost gas.

:4:

·
Registered
129 Posts
03 gas mileage

I cannot imagine 10-11 mpg. My worst has been 15-16 with 3-4 mile trips. 15 mile commute 22 mpg steady speed. My 02 got about 1 mpg better in all cases but 03 does have more HP across the range. For my current spring break trip, I took off the roof rack for max highway mileage and low cd. In this case I got, over 25 mpg on flat I 70 from IL to OH.
Total trip was about 23.8 mpg at 65-70 mph average. My 02 got a little better and I always use 90 or higher octane.

My advice, drive smarter, check tire pressure and other than that. My wife does get 2 mpg less than I do in most city driving. She is race car driver and does not antipate stops. YOu have a huge control over mpg via driving habits.

I will soon try Mobil 1 0w20 if I can find it.

Jim

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Rtfm:

___Can you tell what the instantaneous mpg is reading while traveling down the freeway at a steady 45, 55, or 65 mph in cruise while the tranny is locked up in 5th gear - OD? If you are reading 17.5 or less in this instance, something may be wrong but I would check the above and maybe tell us what the RPM’s are in each instance on the off chance the transmission is hanging in 4th gear? You don’t have the VTM pushed for the around town jaunts by chance, as another possibility while below 18 mph?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was getting 13.5 mpg for the first tank of gas. After about 300 mi, I was avg 18 mpg. I haven't gotten past that mark yet at 600 mi.

·
Registered
115 Posts
City Mileage s***s

Yes, I am also getting about 10 mpg on my 2003 MDX that now has about 1500 miles on it. That is for all city driving. Apparently it takes a lot of gas to get the beast moving off the line and something about the gear ratios changing from 2001/2 to 2003.

I got 20 mpg on a recent highway trip which isn't bad, but the city mileage defintely s***s big time!

I was told it would improve after a break-in period but I don't believe it.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Maybe you should unhitch the boat you're towing everyday :D . . . 10 MPG. . . that seems very low. The other posts are pretty good as to ways to approach it. :4:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: City Mileage s***s

ablatt said:
I was told it would improve after a break-in period but I don't believe it.
It should be improved after you have your first oil change. Not after break-in (600 miles).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts