Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the MID mileage triggered or usage triggered?

I recall either reading somewhere or someone telling me the 3rd Gen MDX MID is usage triggered and it will trigger when the service is needed.

I am asking because the 2015 MDX (83k miles) just triggered B1236 but I did: Oil / Filter, Rear Diff, Transmission, Engine Air filter at 76k miles.

I change the transmission fluid every other oil change and rear diff fluid every 3rd oil change. I do the transfer case oil every year.

Have I just been lucky that the MID lined up to my own cadience of changes on the every other interval or is the MID usage triggered and I need the service?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Are you doing the extra service yourself or local shop? Acura can reset individual codes if you do extra services not showing on the M.I.D. I would just tell the Acura maint folks what services you have done and they can reset those codes. I usually take my 3 vehicles to Acura for the oil oil changes and schedule any extra services around the same time for the tech to reset all maint done at Acura, home, or by local shop.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Assuming you reset the MID after you did the oil change at 76K miles, I'd expect it to trigger again at somewhere around 83K miles for another oil change since that's 7K miles and the oil in my experience is good for at most (almost exactly when a large portion of the miles are freeway miles) 10K miles from 100% to 0%. The MID triggers at 15% so you're right at the point to expect it to be at around 15% again.

My assumption is that the MID reset that's performed according to the procedure in the owners manual will only reset the items that are displayed on it at the time. For example, if it wasn't displaying the trans oil number at the time you did the reset it wouldn't have reset the timing back on it despite you doing the fluid change because it didn't know you did the fluid change. Apparently, according to mrgold's post above and some others I've read, the dealer has the capability of resetting individual items even if they're not in the display yet, which makes sense since a dealer might perform certain service out of cycle for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you doing the extra service yourself or local shop? Acura can reset individual codes if you do extra services not showing on the M.I.D. I would just tell the Acura maint folks what services you have done and they can reset those codes.
I do Most of all my maintenance myself, I do all my fluid changes myself as I will not let a shop or dealer do it ever since I got back a stripped oil pan several years ago.

I know I can reset individual items when the MID triggers it but I did not know and I don’t know how to reset out of cycle maintenance. It makes sense especially when doing the timing belt early than the MID will trigger.

Anyone know how to do this other than going to a dealer?

If not I’ll swing by Acura Parts counter when I have some free time to ask and post here, he calls out his lead mechanic for questions like that.

Assuming you reset the MID after you did the oil change at 76K miles, I'd expect it to trigger again at somewhere around 83K miles for another oil change since that's 7K miles and the oil in my experience is good for at most (almost exactly when a large portion of the miles are freeway miles) 10K miles from 100% to 0%. The MID triggers at 15% so you're right at the point to expect it to be at around 15% again.

My assumption is that the MID reset that's performed according to the procedure in the owners manual will only reset the items that are displayed on it at the time. For example, if it wasn't displaying the trans oil number at the time you did the reset it wouldn't have reset the timing back on it despite you doing the fluid change because it didn't know you did the fluid change. Apparently, according to mrgold's post above and some others I've read, the dealer has the capability of resetting individual items even if they're not in the display yet, which makes sense since a dealer might perform certain service out of cycle for a number of reasons.
Exactly this! I guess I have been lucky where the every other has lined up with a MID trigger. This is the first time I am truely out of cycle for Trans and Rear Diff.

Normally I’d just change it again but all your previous comments to me about crazy over maintaining has sunk in with me ? I really don’t want to waste the time and money for something not needed.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
AFAIK, you need a HDS to reset individual MID sub-codes.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
The bad thing about having the tech reset codes not displayed is you don't know if they did that or not? I still keep a written record backed up on my dropbox of all maint done at every shop. Only way I can keep it all straight with 3 vehicles with +400,000 miles between them.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bad thing about having the tech reset codes not displayed is you don't know if they did that or not? I still keep a written record backed up on my dropbox of all maint done at every shop. Only way I can keep it all straight with 3 vehicles with +400,000 miles between them.
I do the same with a google doc for all my vehicles. If I sell it I print it all out and provide the receipts for the parts used.

So in conclusion the MID is mileage triggered and not usage triggered and I can do the oil change and go back to my regular cycyle of trans and diff fluid changes.

I guess this now means I am 100% dependent on my own personal records and the MID can be ignored for those services?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.