Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Michelin Stealth XT wipers and it come with plastic caps and locks. Do I need to install those as well? I can’t seem to figure out how these plastic caps or locks fit on the mdx. I just slide until it clicks onto the hook without these caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
895 Posts
Aftermarket wipers come with the parts needed to fit different style arms. Read the instructions included for the small "J" hook, but I'm pretty sure those are not applicable.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yeah, I actually wasn't able to put this type on a neighbour's Civic. I just gave up after 10 minutes of trying out different ways to attach them.

My general advice on the wipers - in my experience none of the aftermarket ones provide the same quality and affordability as the OEM ones. Yes, I even tried "the best" Bosch ones that cost like US $50 - they were great for 2 days, after that they started streaking.

With OEM ones you can simply replace the rubber each season for under US $15, that's what I've been doing for years now.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yeah, I actually wasn't able to put this type on a neighbour's Civic. I just gave up after 10 minutes of trying out different ways to attach them.

My general advice on the wipers - in my experience none of the aftermarket ones provide the same quality and affordability as the OEM ones. Yes, I even tried "the best" Bosch ones that cost like US $50 - they were great for 2 days, after that they started streaking.

With OEM ones you can simply replace the rubber each season for under US $15, that's what I've been doing for years now.
One of the things that happens when you buy used is they often have already been changed to aftermarket. Because there are different styles of wiper arms you have to pay attention when you buy aftermarket replacements. I really like the current Rain X Expert Fit Beam wipers that can be had at Walmart for about $10 each. Very durable and no structure that traps or gathers snow.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I bought a bunch of goodyear blades at Costco when they were on sale for $3 each. Not as good as OEM but for $3 they are fine and I change them out 2 times a year. No issues.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am pro=aftermarket "beam style" wipers, after the oem "frame style" insert tore and exposed the steel insert holder to my glass. I had to buy a $276 windshield.

My Integras, also came with "frame style", but my 8th gen civics had oem "beam style" wipers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Correct,those plastic caps are not required, the J hook just slip on the wiper latch.

I have use these Michelin Stealths [ from Costco], and have found they are too big for that clasp that forks/hold the wiper.
I have even striped off the rubber cover on the wiper and its still to large to fit properly.
OEM wipers are much narrower and slide well into this clasp.

I now buy wipers [Dupont or Michelin] at HomeDepot and removed the rubber spline and insert the new one in the OEM wiper frame.
Perfect fit and economical,
J.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find this Michelin stealth wiper is very quiet compared to the OEM. The OEM is noisy maybe because the whole wiper assembly is worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts