Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed Michelin Premier LTX tires (255/55/18) on my ’08 base. The Michelins replaced Conti LX20’s which gave me more than 65k miles of good service. The Continentals could probably have gone another 5k miles tread-wise but were beginning to ride a lot rougher.

First impression of the Michelins is very good. The ride is much smoother and quieter. Then again, my reference point is a set of well-worn tires.

Out the door pricing from Costco was $930 with the Michelin coupon.

One interesting point is that the installers said the Michelins are hard to “bead” on Acuras (and Highlanders). I watched them struggle mounting the tires. One difference may be that the Conti’s had a bead that stuck out at the rim line. The Michelins sit inside the rim and don’t have that bead. Not sure what that part of the tire is called.

Going on a road trip this weekend and will post an update.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If these had been available last year, I would have likely gone that route. Appears to be a much better tire than the Latitudes which I thought were garbage once they had a few miles on them. So far very happy with the Conti LX20's though. Combined with running Blizzaks in the winter, I may never need another set of tires for this vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had three sets of tires on this vehicle, the original Bridgestone tires (which I didn’t like), the Conti LX20s and the Michelins. I definitely like the new Michelins after just getting back from a 700 mile trip. I recall feeling the same way about the Conti’s when they were installed 4 years ago. My only issue with the Conti’s was that I had on-going trouble keeping them balanced including several attempts at the initial install. The Michelins felt perfect out of the gate. Bottom line, in my opinion, you can’t go wrong with either one if you have a good installer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought a set of the Premier LTX's about a month and a half ago. They replaced a set of Latitude Tour HP's which I actually liked. I checked the reviews on Tire Rack, and the Premiers blew the Latitudes out of the water in EVERY category. I talked to one of the tire techs at Tire Rack, and he told me that they are slowly phasing out the Latitude line, and replacing them with the Premiers...and I got the same story from the salesman at the tire shop that I bought them at. I gave about the same as you did, a little over $900 out the door with road hazard, nitrogen inflation, etc. The first day, I thought that I had made a mistake, as they seemed to have a little rougher ride than the Latitudes, and had more road noise. However, it may have just been that I was overly sensitive to noise and road feel, as now, they feel better than the Latitudes and are quieter. All in all, I'm glad I made the decision to go with the Premiers instead of going with another set of the Latitudes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts