Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Acura MDX. Just noticed this horrible metal scrapping sound coming from the front wheel at low speed. Has anyone experienced this? I plan to call the dealer tomorrow

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I have a 2017 Acura MDX. Just noticed this horrible metal scrapping sound coming from the front wheel at low speed. Has anyone experienced this? I plan to call the dealer tomorrow
I don’t recall ever hearing about that before. Sounds like a brake problem.

·
Registered
550 Posts
How many miles? Sounds like worn out brake pad. But friends picked up a rock once upon a time on his van. Took the wheel off, took the pads out, put them back in. Problem solved!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only have about 23,000 kms. I kinda doubt it is the brakes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think it was on our second gen MDX that I got a small rock between the backing plate and the rotor, made an awful noise.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It could be debris in the rotor area, a worn brake pad on that side due to an issue with uneven wear due to a failed caliper, a failed wheel bearing, or something else.

The easiest to check for and fix is debris.

The thing to do is to jack up that wheel, do a quick visual check for debris, then rotate the wheel by hand to see if the sound is reproduced and then zero in on it. If you don't want to do that then it's what a mechanic will most likely do.

It's good you're taking care of it right away though since this isn't the type of thing to let go or else it could be a safety issue or at a minimum just get worse (unless some debris suddenly falls away thereby fixing it).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem found. The dealer found a small rock caught between the rotor and caliper. Best part is I got my car in this morning with no appointment and didn’t get charged for the fix.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
You guys owe me a beer for guessing correctly.
But - you and I cross-posted but both indicated the same thing but I threw out a couple of less likely possible culprits. Does that mean a split beer is owed or 2 beers or is it just one for you because your post is ahead of mine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Happens to my 2011 MDX all the time in the winter. They use red volcanic crushed cinder on the roads in the southwest during winter months and it always gets caught in between the rotors and calipers. Makes a gawd awful sound. I usually can get it out by going in reverse and turning the wheel full left and right while rolling backwards.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Had this happen one morning very early when they were sweeping the streets near work. When I parked I backed into a spot which seemed to take care of it. Very disconcerting though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts