Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about heading to Memphis for a short trip. Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions on things to do and see and eat. Graceland is on the list. Probably get some BBQ while I am down there. :4:

·
Registered
825 Posts
midnightMDX said:
Thinking about heading to Memphis for a short trip. Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions on things to do and see and eat. Graceland is on the list. Probably get some BBQ while I am down there. :4:
Sun Records (Where Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, etc recorded); Stax Museum (Stax records where Isaac Hayes, Otis Redding, the Staple Singers, the Bar-Kays, Booker T. & the MGs, Johnnie Taylor, Little Milton, Al Green, Aretha Franklin, etc recorded); clubs on Beale Street; Tunica is close for gambling. The PGA will be in town next week as well. At this tournament John Daly and Phil Mickelson are supposed to return to the tour.

As for BBQ, tons of places. The Rendezvous is the big tourist place and it is ok, but consider Leonard's, Central, or Neely's. When we get to Memphis we also like a seafood restaurant, The Blue Fish Restaurant. Most all of these restaurants have websites so you can check them out.

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Graceland and Beale Street are on the list. Yea, I heard the Rendezvous was a huge tourist trap cause of its tv exposure. I plan to stay away from that. Central and Neely were on my list. How about Toms or Corkys? Thanks for the recommendation of Blue Fish, the menu looks really good.

·
Registered
825 Posts
midnightMDX said:
Graceland and Beale Street are on the list. Yea, I heard the Rendezvous was a huge tourist trap cause of its tv exposure. I plan to stay away from that. Central and Neely were on my list. How about Toms or Corkys? Thanks for the recommendation of Blue Fish, the menu looks really good.
I would pass on Corky's just because it is a chain (although it was started in Memphis) and there are too many great local places. I have not been to Tom's, but it looked very good on the Food Network. You can see the clip on their website.

Re Blue Fish, these folks used to own a restaurant on the gulf near Destin that was one of our favorites there. They sold and moved to Memphis. We eat there whenever we are in Memphis.

·
Registered
825 Posts
midnightMDX said:
What part of Tennessee are you from?
Grew up in Chattanooga, college in Knoxville, been in the Nashville area since college. Get to Memphis as several college buddies are there....and Tunica is close.

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got back from my trip yesterday. Headed off to Memphis for a day and St Louis for 2 days. Definitely a slower pace of life compared to Chicago. The MDX did great. The roads werent that good. Downstate Illinois was littered with state troopers. I think the count was 17 going south(I-57) and 15 coming back north(I-55). They even had a trap where they had one trooper clocking from the bridge and would relay to officers waiting on the on ramp. There was 2 already pulled over and 4 waiting on the ramp. Beale Street in Memphis is a great spot for booze and live music. Went to Graceland and took the tour. Went to the St Louis arch and drove around downtown. Drove past Busch Stadium, apparently the Rockies were killing the Cards. Thats a real nice stadium, I think newly built. Didnt get to do as much as I wanted to, but I think I'll make a trip back. I'll post up some pics tomorrow and add more to the story.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I see you went to Corky's. How was it?

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wasjr said:
I see you went to Corky's. How was it?
I tried some ribs with dry rub and I really didnt like it. The sauce was really good, I end up buying a few bottle to take back home. The ribs werent that tender. For dinner we went to Gus's Fried Chicken. Amazing! That place looks run down from the outside (as alot of the places do), but inside its comforting. Chicken had a unique spice and was juicy. For breakfast the next morning we went to Brother Junipers which was also great. Biscuits and cheese grits came with the meal and they were delicious. Took the tour of Graceland and some of extras. They have an huge collection of stuff. Hit up Beale Street. I didnt partake in any "Big Ass Beer", but I did listen to some music and enjoyed the flavor of the area. Went to Mud Island for a short time. People are real friendly there for the most part. Weather is nice and hot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts