Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Maybe these would solve the rear end noise some people hear from their vehicles that are apparently due to something in the rear shocks (my 2014 hasn't exhibited this problem). They're pretty expensive though at a buck under a grand retail.

IMO the MDX already handles really well for a vehicle of its size and type and I wouldn't have an interest in putting aftermarket shocks on it. I did put aftermarket shocks (Rancho) on a previous SUV that I did a lot of 4-wheeling in and those were great for the 4-wheeling but I can't see tweaking it on the MDX - definitely not for off road and I don't think a tweak's needed for on road either. It's already quite good at quick on-road maneuvers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
^coilovers would significantly alter the MDXs abilities. 4 wheeling in the MDX is a rare species as the drivers are more likely to navigate Walmarts etc over rough terrain. Coilovers would actually take away any existing capabilities the MDX currently possess. These would probs allow for a stiffer setup, aka canyon carving, however as many have noticed the MDX only shines when you push it hard (the SHAWD system really makes u forget its a FWD xover). Pushing it hard or to the limit, most people avoid since things can get messy asap.

If you need the coilovers make sure theyre adjustable and are quality ones that arent only to reduce the sneaker gap in the wheel well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I remember when megan wasn't a respected aftermarket parts manufacturer. I guess times have changed.

I would be interested to see the shock dynos. These are basically the same coilovers with different brackets to mount. Low cost for them and probably the only real players in the mdx aftermarket world.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I remember when Acura was the performance, as well as "luxury" division of Honda Motors.....the NSX was a perfect example of what Honda was capable of. I like my MDX well enough....but to call it a "luxury" SUV is an overstatement. Most imports, as well as the domestic auto manufacturers, have Sport versions of their SUVs. It's too bad that Honda (and Acura) appears to be catering their vehicles to old white guys wearing depends.....jus sayin

·
Registered
408 Posts
I remember when Acura was the performance, as well as "luxury" division of Honda Motors.....the NSX was a perfect example of what Honda was capable of. I like my MDX well enough....but to call it a "luxury" SUV is an overstatement. Most imports, as well as the domestic auto manufacturers, have Sport versions of their SUVs. It's too bad that Honda (and Acura) appears to be catering their vehicles to old white guys wearing depends.....jus sayin
I see more women aged 35-55 driving these cars then old men.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
It's too bad that Honda (and Acura) appears to be catering their vehicles to old white guys wearing depends.....jus sayin
But if that's true then the vehicle actually would be likely to have a 'more' luxurious interior and less of a focus on 'performance' yet the 3rd gen is a relatively high performing vehicle in this segment with a reasonable, but not over the top, level of so-called 'luxury' (leather from hand massaged beer fed cows, etc.). It's clear that the target market isn't people demanding, and willing to pay for, that level of so-called 'luxury'. I know I wouldn't have been willing to pay an extra $10K, $5K, etc. for some of the over the top 'luxury' items despite being able to - but maybe that's because I don't wear depends yet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quite an old topic..but of interest to me

I am used to sporty cars and sports orientated SUV's (last SUV before the MDX a ML63 AMG).
The MDX roadholding is a bit too wobbly/ bouncy over big bumps and way too much leaning in corners for my taste. I would like the suspension to be firmer, but there seems not much available.
Anyone tried coilovers on the G3 MDX, experiences??

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quite an old topic..but of interest to me

I am used to sporty cars and sports orientated SUV's (last SUV before the MDX a ML63 AMG).
The MDX roadholding is a bit too wobbly/ bouncy over big bumps and way too much leaning in corners for my taste. I would like the suspension to be firmer, but there seems not much available.
Anyone tried coilovers on the G3 MDX, experiences??
this sh!t aint firm to you, man!?

it sure is to me. very hard over bumps. but handles like a car on corners with great response.

·
Registered
97 Posts
some of the MDX models have a button that changes the ride. I believe it is called IDS. Mine is set to comfort and it is prety stiff. I don't notice any roll especially because I use the sh-awd to my advantage when cornering. The RL taught me that.

IDS https://www.acura.com/mdx/modals/integrated-dynamics-system
This does not alter any suspension, only steering and throttle peddle sensitivity. All MDX have the same suspension that cannot be changed like the previous 2nd gen mdx.

·
Registered
156 Posts
some of the MDX models have a button that changes the ride. I believe it is called IDS. Mine is set to comfort and it is prety stiff. I don't notice any roll especially because I use the sh-awd to my advantage when cornering. The RL taught me that.

IDS https://www.acura.com/mdx/modals/integrated-dynamics-system
Thanks, but IDS in the 2014-2016 G3 does nothing for roadholding/ suspension, it only changes throttle response, is supposed to make shifting a bit more brisk (although I do not think much) and makes steering feel more firm, so I always have it set to sport.

I suppose compared to the average US brand car, the MDX feels firm, but we here in Europe are used to somewhat sportier roadholding :wink:
I also own a US spec Merc CLK550 convertible that was brought to Europe and found the suspension of that car also way too soft. EU cars built for the US market often have softer/ more comfortable spec suspension (as that seems to be wanted in the US), so I changed that to a fully adjustable Bilstein coilover kit and on medium firm damper setting is really nice now.

I know a SUV like car is never really sporty, but compared to my previously owned SUV-s, a Cayenne Turbo and ML63 AMG, the MDX suspension is way too bouncy for my liking when going over bumps and it leans more in corners than I would like... I realise the beforementioned other two are a somewhat different breed, the MDX being more a family car, but would like it more firm if possible....

Mind you, it is all compared to what one is used to but I am used to firm suspension/ sporty roadholding.:readit:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Really, I am surprised!!
Nobody any experience with coilovers or any other roadholding mods on the MDX?
Must say the car is growing on me, I'm liking it more and more, just the soft dampening and heavy leaning in corners really irritates me..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.