Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Media should stop bashing America

News coverage placing undue emphasis on Abu Ghraib hurts the U.S. war effort (I think that's the goal...)

BY ESTHER JUNGREIS
Esther Jungreis is president and founder of Hineni, an international outreach organization. She is the author of "The Committed Marriage" and a commentator for NBC News.

May 26, 2004

What is happening in the world today is scary - and it's even more scary that most people are asleep, unaware there is danger looming everywhere.

We have become accustomed to catastrophe, so we do not react as the terror escalates and becomes global. But that is exactly what has happened in the wake of the scandal at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison. And the worst of it is that it is we Americans who are giving life to it.

America bashing, military bashing, president bashing have become the vogue. The media have seen fit to focus on nothing but the perverse acts of a handful of soldiers in Abu Ghraib while totally ignoring the honor and integrity of the U.S. Army, which sacrificed and continues to sacrifice to bring freedom to a beleaguered nation.

How, you might ask, could a responsible media in time of war publish those photographs, knowing full well that such publicity could jeopardize the entire war effort as well as the lives of innocent people? And more, how can responsible leaders of the American government, like Sen. Edward Kennedy, make the most obscene analogies, comparing the unmitigated evil perpetrated by Saddam Hussein to our valorous American troops?

"We now learn that Saddam's torture chambers reopened under new management - U.S. management," was the salvo fired at the Bush administration by Kennedy. With senators like this, America doesn't need any enemies.

As if this were not enough, it has now been revealed that The London Daily Mirror and The Boston Globe (owned by The New York Times) ran fraudulent photos of British and American soldiers abusing prisoners. These pictures, which were obvious hoaxes, created much damage both at home and abroad.

Surely, these media people and politicians realized that it is an obscene travesty to compare what occurred in Abu Ghraib to the horrific evils perpetrated during Hussein's despotic regime. The inmates at Abu Ghraib are not Boy Scouts. They are not innocent civilians, but include vicious killers who made a career out of torture. This is not to say that there is any justification for what transpired at Abu Ghraib, but at the same time, let us not forget that we are at war and those Abu Ghraib prisoners are a threat to the civilized world.

That much of the world is jealous of America and enjoys defaming our great republic and our democratic way of life is to be expected, but why should our own people turn against their own country?

Well, for one, it is an election year, and those who want to see George W. Bush defeated will stop at nothing. As for the media, they'll do anything to improve ratings and to sell papers. But America is the only force in the world that combats terrorism. If the U.S. Army is emasculated, if our president and secretary of defense are denigrated and compared to Hussein, then we will indeed create a global vacuum and the bin Ladens will take over.

Make no mistake about it - Nick Berg was not the first to be beheaded by these barbarians. Islam has a long tradition of beheading. How could anyone have forgotten Daniel Pearl, the Wall Street Journal reporter who was beheaded? How could anyone have forgotten the American contractors in Fallujah whose bodies were mutilated, burned, dragged through the streets and strung up from a bridge? The list goes on and on, and not only has there been no outcry, but the most outrageous accusation has been made that it was the treatment of prisoners in Abu Ghraib that led to and even justified Nick Berg's beheading.

If we don't put a stop to this America bashing, the only power ruling the world will be terrorism and the bin Ladens will have a heyday. Think for a moment: Is there any country in the world - any nation other than America - that is prepared to take on the battle against global terrorism?

These savage terrorists succeeded in overturning the government in Spain. The question is, Will we allow them to succeed in the United States as well? This is a time for all those who believe in America, who cherish freedom and democracy, to rally around our armed forces, our government and our flag.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nice article! Darn right! Perspective, people, perspective! Disagreement is not treason, but some of this stuff is FAR beyond disagreement.

There is such a thing as too much moral relativism.

Fighting terrorism militarily is necessary, I don't know why some people just don't seem to get it. (I do know why the pols are saying it, they wanna get elected! Pure and simple! But why do decent people buy into it?)

Fighting it like a crime didn't exactly turn out that well, after all. It has been tried! It didn't work! Let's hear it for pattern recognition! (Maybe I'm getting nasty, now, but I didn't sleep well and I don't feel very diplomatic... my apologies to anyone I may offend)

Thanks, HHWC.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
BWSmith201 said:
Nice article! Darn right! Perspective, people, perspective! Disagreement is not treason, but some of this stuff is FAR beyond disagreement.

There is such a thing as too much moral relativism.

Fighting terrorism militarily is necessary, I don't know why some people just don't seem to get it.
That is very much an oversimplification. Of course military action is necessary to fight terrorism face to face ...pardon me, but DUH!!!

The more relevant point is HOW we go about doing that. And there is no easy answer and more than one path of resolution.

The real argument as it exists today is if the invasion of Iraq was necessary with regards to when and how it was carried out. And if that is the most effective way to fight terrorism.
I am not claiming to have all the answers. Obvisously, those who do either don't care to question anything, and are comfortable in letting others think for them, or they have no political agenda and lots of facts none of us are privy to.

History will record the results accordingly. We can hope it serves us well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I guess the current administration has forgotten that one of the founding fathers pillars for the new construct was open and free right of dissent, something that has served us well for centuries...

hhwc said:
This is a time for all those who believe in America, who cherish freedom and democracy, to rally around our armed forces, our government and our flag.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Media should stop bashing America?

Shouldn't that read "Media should stop bashing conservatives?"

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Media should stop bashing America

mogur said:
I guess the current administration has forgotten that one of the founding fathers pillars for the new construct was open and free right of dissent, something that has served us well for centuries...
Yes, you have the free right to dissent. So what are you against?

Fighting terrorists? Supporting our troops (hence not smearing them for the actions of a few)?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Media should stop bashing America

hhwc said:

Yes, you have the free right to dissent. So what are you against?

Fighting terrorists? Supporting our troops (hence not smearing them for the actions of a few)?
He never wrote that. He was just discussing the right to dissent.
Of course, add some controversy to his statement. Embelish it. Generalize and make assumptions.

Just like some of the media.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Media should stop bashing America

DaleB said:

He never wrote that. He was just discussing the right to dissent.
Of course, add some controversy to his statement. Embelish it. Generalize and make assumptions.

Just like some of the media.
I believe that he is just trying to get to the bottom of what his dissent is all about. That is tough to accomplish with the liberal point of view on things. I guess when there is no substance, or when the object is to get rid of a president, there is no answer to exactly what someone is dissnting about.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
DaleB said:
Thanks for adding more assumptions. It's always appreciated and predictable.
Case in point! Why can't people answer simple questions? Just like the question I always pose: Why can't most liberals accept the term liberal as a legitimate label?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
keremoner said:

Case in point! Why can't people answer simple questions? Just like the question I always pose: Why can't most liberals accept the term liberal as a legitimate label?
Because answers to simple questions do not give them the result they want. You know liberals are experts at nuances.:D

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I think it has been said before, most people are CONSERVATIVE or LIBERAL on various issues. Why label anyone a 100% liberal just because they might question a president with a few less active brain cells than the norm? ....booo.. Bush bashing now.. !!

Seriously, any president should be subjected to scrutiny. As well as anyone who says, "Follow Me."....

Remember he was ELECTED, not ANOINTED.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
keremoner said:
...the question I always pose: Why can't most liberals accept the term liberal as a legitimate label?
Oh, that's easy, because the conservative establishment has brilliantly distorted the word. (I always thought the extreme right had an PR edge). If one is branded a "liberal" the popular baggage that comes with that word, includes "unpatriotic", "amoral", "immoral", "undisciplined","unintelligent","irresponsible".... the list goes on... I admire the excellent work by the right!, that is why they dominate the current American landscape...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
xfactor said:

Oh, that's easy, because the conservative establishment has brilliantly distorted the word. (I always thought the extreme right had an PR edge). If one is branded a "liberal" the popular baggage that comes with that word, includes "unpatriotic", "amoral", "immoral", "undisciplined","unintelligent","irresponsible".... the list goes on... I admire the excellent work by the right!, that is why they dominate the current American landscape...
Ahh, finally an intelligent answer. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts