Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my mechanic for differential fluid change along with other maintenance on my wife's 2008 MDX and he ended up changing the transfer case fluid with the differential fluid also. Any potential damage? Just realized this after driving about 1k miles. I will get it flushed and filled with the correct transfer case fluid as soon as I can. Thanks.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You will be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah so this topic is tricky for me also: does the Gen 2 MDX have a) transmission fluid b) rear differential fluid and c) transfer case fluid???

Wouldn't the transmission fluid also cover the transfer case???

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just did all these on my wife's 2008 MDX. The transfer case takes SAE 90 or SAE 80W-90 viscosity hypoid gear oil, API service classified GL4 or GL5 only, this was copied right out of the owner's manual. I used regular valvoline 80w-90 for $8 with tax from parts store, the baby t-case only takes 1/2 a quart. The other half gets purged into my recycle oil jug when the job is complete since I have no other use for it. Transfer case takes about 15 minutes to service.

The rear differential used to use the same ATF-Z1 fluid as the transmission. When I serviced trans 35k miles ago it said Honda ATF-Z1 trans fluid front and rear diff in the owners manual and I was changing to Redline synthetic D4 ATF. So Redline is what I used in the rear diff.

Apparently when Honda changed the trans fluid from ATF-Z1 to ATF DW-1 they decided it could no longer be used in the rear diff and they came out with a new spec fluid, (DPSF) All-Wheel Drive Fluid, for the rear differentials. It has the same look and consistancy as diff fluid but the fact no one carries a comparable product they will stand behind I wasn't going to play around and picked up some DPSF from the stealership. Luckily no damage was done the whole time the Redline D4 ATF was in the rear diff. I put in the DPSF this last go around, takes 3 quarts to do the rear differential service. Rear diff took me about 30 minutes to completely wait for it to drain and pump in the new fluid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts