Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic would be subjective. So please don't go mad at me if you don't agree. This is just personal opinions and I am looking for some help.

I think in the 2nd Gen MDX, Acura copied the popular German way of doing things by adding a big chunk of black plastic engine cover. However, once we take off the plastic piece, what's under neath is pretty ugly. Like a bald skull. (Apologize if anyone here is bald.) I am thinking whether it is possible to retrofit an old Acura intake cover onto our MDX? Like the one attached. Of course, don't want that '3.2' there. Just the Acura logo, or 'Vtec' there. I double if there is one with a '3.7' there.

If anybody is aware of a direct fit, please share. Thanks a lot. We can remove some weight and the engine bay would look a lot cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Obviously you had the same thoughts before. Nice. But what is a spacer? I got stuck from the very beginning :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
if i understand correctly, any 3.7 intake mani cover will fit on the mdx, ala TL or other. i wanna say some of the 3.5 intake manifold covers will fit too.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The 1st generation MDX has an Intake Manifold Spacer..
Its basically a riser that makes the engine shift its torque curve lower while adding a small bump of torque.

Since the 3.7L has loads of torque Acura decided to remove the spacer for the 2G MDX so I will be adding it back to get more torque down low.. I had the spacer for so long now since I was planning on using it on my TL-S but there is hood clearance issues on there.

As for the manifold cover yeah, you can use the A shaped cover... I will be adding it too if I don´t get the entire TL Manifold.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I rarely open my hood.

Finding wood to knock on about now.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
^ As per the Owners Manual you should be opening your hood at EVERY Fill Up to check levels.
I open my hood at least once a week.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a picture for the spacer? Part number?

Yeah, please update when you finish adding it. I am very interested to take a look. Ideally, would like to see the before and after dino, but that is asking too much ...

The 1st generation MDX has an Intake Manifold Spacer..
Its basically a riser that makes the engine shift its torque curve lower while adding a small bump of torque.

Since the 3.7L has loads of torque Acura decided to remove the spacer for the 2G MDX so I will be adding it back to get more torque down low.. I had the spacer for so long now since I was planning on using it on my TL-S but there is hood clearance issues on there.

As for the manifold cover yeah, you can use the A shaped cover... I will be adding it too if I don´t get the entire TL Manifold.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I guess it is a lot easier to just take one off an 1st gen MDX in junk yard. So what is the theory behind this spacer? I think our MDX has some flaps inside intake. The flap would open or close depending on RPM. Adding this spacer might have the potential to mess up 2nd MDX's intake calculation. What do you think about this issue?

For the cover, I am thinking about stripping the paint and have it power-coated in blue or some other nice colors. Should be pretty cool. But this might hurt the mpg a bit, right?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The 1st gen MDX also has a Dual Stage Intake Manifold it works exactly the same as ours.
I don´t see how painting the manifold will hurt MPGs? The TL manifold comes painted from the factory.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The engines are different and the manifolds might not be exactly the same (even though their design might be similar), so there is no guarantee that adding the spacer will help. The only way to know for sure is to get a dino.

Removing the plastic cover will lead to heat loss after start-up. There is a layer of pretty thick foams down there. The foams can both reduce vibration/noise, and help keep the engine warm and heat up quicker.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Their looks are not the same, the actual functionality of the dual stage manifold IS THE SAME. So there should be no side effects only gains just exactly like every other J-Series that was retrofitted with it.

Yeah doesn´t seem to affect the TL at all the lack of an engine cover so Ill take my chances.

No way in hell I am giving up that look ^ over the crappy plastic engine cover.

Ohh and BTW those foams are there to reduce Vibration and Noise from the PLASTIC COVER against the engine. The only reason to exist for that plastic cover to dress up the engine, Not to aid in heat up or noise.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice. Waiting to see your diy. I might try it as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts