Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the parking lot for Mike Harvey Acura in Burlingame today and they have something like 10 MDXs there. If you're waiting for one get over there! (Or call first). I got mine there 3 months ago by just walking in. There was one on the floor and I bought it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The last time I talked to them (November 00), they want $2K + MSRP! In the more recent posts, some members mentioned they mark-up depends on market demand/condition (is it greater than $2K now??).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paid more like 3k over msrp, but that was the price of getting one early. My understanding is that all of the bay area dealers are asking at least 2k over sticker either directly or through add-ons.

Ben

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got mine (Silver, Touring + Navi) at Hopkins Acura. Of all the dealers that I visited back in Oct/Nov 2000 (Sunnyvale, Pleasanton, Stevens Creek, Mike Harvey and Oakland), Hopkins is the only one that did not mark-up the price. So entered my name in their waiting list and paid $1K deposit, they told me that the earliest to expect the car is May/June 2001, but somebody in front of me cancelled and I got mine 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Hopkins also owns Solano Acura. MSRP. Only required accessories (wheel locks, cargo cover, mud flaps) are reasonable cost at about $300 installed as I recall (we picked it up end-January after 3 months waiting).

Prestige in Santa Rosa is also @ MSRP.

I don't believe anyone else in the SF Bay is at MSRP without significant required accessories.

·
Registered
13 Posts
MSRP + no options required

Picked up my GG Touring & Nav about 3 weeks ago from Stevens Creek Acura. Paid MSRP with no dealer options required. I waited about 3 months. I questioned my sales person who was a pleasure to deal with about their options requirements (during the waiting period) which was outwardly advertised as wheel locks, mud flaps , and running boards. I told him I did not want the running board nor the wheel locks as in my opinion they serve no useful purpose to me. He agreed to sell me the vehicle without any options.

You should negotiate the option requirements up front and keep tabs as to when your vehicle arrives so that they don't automatically put on their "standard" options.

Oh yes, I placed an order with Los Gatos Acura at the same time as a back up plan. The vehicle arrived in early February. They wanted MSRP+$2000 and would not negotiate. I told him I did not want the vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wheel locks serve no useful purpose? I never thought about them until one morning when I walked out to my Integra GS-R and found it sitting on cinder blocks :(. For a mere $35 or so, I've learned they serve a very useful purpose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Butts Acura in Monterey is charging MSRP with no markup, but I've been waiting since November 1 and still haven't gotten the call (supposed to be in April).

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I don't understand the waiting list?

I don't understand how one can be on a waiting list so long! There are only 4 ways to build the vehicle and only a few colors. Me and numerous others "only" waited for about two months (me personly ordered on 1/2/01 and took delivery on 3/20/01). I do not understand how one could be kept waiting since November. Only speculating here, but it sure seems to me that those on the list that long have dealers who list is fluid, as in those willing to pay extra are cutting into the list and bumping others down. Perhaps it is time to start making a lot of noise; Acura National, BBB, dealer ratings on websites such as this, etc.

I would call your sales rep and make sure he/she knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that this site exists and you will be posting your experience and then I'd let the sales manager know the same thing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Long Wait

There are numerous reasons for the long wait (I waited 3.5 months)as I reflect back.

"Demand" - When I started my search I called all the local dealers and they quoted 3 months because of high demand. Expanding my search, I call all the dealers in a 200 mile radius. Answers were the same three months with a few dealers indicating perhaps a month shorter but they either were no longer taking reservations from outside their community or they wanted $2000.00 above MSRP.

"Choice of Style" - Turns out NAV+Touring in Metallic Silver was the most popular and thus had many more folks on the list as compared to some of the other configurations.

"Selling Outside the List" - I truly believe not all cars make it to the waiting list. I know for a fact(it happened to me)when a car is turned down (dealer wanted $2000.00 +MSRP)it does not go to the next person on the list. Instead it is sent to the service shop where lots of options are added and then sold to the first buyer that comes in the door. My boss went down to test drive one and came home with one that was loaded with accessories. No waiting here. Thus your place on a list will never be shortened if the person in front of you cancels. I don't know to what extent this goes on, but I do know of two dealers in my area that have this policy. And yes, I have written a letter to Acura complaining.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think another reason for different wait times is based on the dealer's allocation. My understanding is that each dealer has a fixed allocation per month (supply). If supply is 10 MDX's/month and demand in that area is 20 MDX deposits per month, the length of the wait list is going to grow each month.

I also recall hearing from one of the dealers I spoke with that when a vehicle is hot and demand is nationwide, the dealers only get their allocation. The allocation is supposidly set based on previous year sales performance. Therefore, dealers with a good sales track record are rewarded when demand outpaces supply.

Again, this is all 3rd hand info that I received when I was diving into the details why the wait was so long.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: Long Wait

abdiver: I perfectly well understand the law of supply and demand! I waited over 2 months for my MDX. I also perfectly well understand how choice of style can affect a waiting list. However there are only 4 ways to configure (excluding color for the moment) an MDX as opposed to say hundreds for the new Toyota Highlander!

What I meant by not understanding the waits was the fact that the waits are vastly different between two exactly configured MDXs of the same color. There are folks who ordered a Mahogany Touring w/ Nav in November and December who have not rec'd their car. I ordered the same thing in early January and am driving it now. Why the difference? It is not solely due to dealer allocation, my dealer is NOT the Houston area high volume dealer. Besides there is no prior MDX sales record to base a reward on.

No my point was that dealers are selling outside the list. That is greed pure and simple. And extremely unethical in my opinion. It is selling outside the list, bumping people down that all buyers should be screaming out against.
My dealer told me back in late March that they will soon stop taking orders for 2001 due to sellouts. Hence in theory at least a person who ordered in early 2001 may never get their car if enough line cutters buy their way in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I placed my order with Stevens Creek Acura on 12/5 for a GG base + Nav. It will be 4 months tomorrow and nothing so far. When I placed my order, I was told 60 to 90 days....
I am just upset with this whole thing.

Abdiver, who was your salesman at SC Acura and when did you place your order?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Was over at Oakland Acura over the weekend getting my fender flares and tailgate deflector installed. They had at least 3 MDXs in the back that were not spoken for, 1 demo, 1 loaner (yes a loaner MDX) and 1 in the showroom. They're still asking 2K over MSRP and some forced options. Some good people in the service department, didn't care that I did not buy my GG Tour/Nav from them (Beaudry in Tucson AZ, 3 week wait;)). Even replaced the fender flares that I had bought from Tim (they were cosmeticaly challenged - no fault of Tim) under warranty with no hassle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
TR6 said:
Was over at Oakland Acura over the weekend getting my fender flares and tailgate deflector installed. They had at least 3 MDXs in the back that were not spoken for, 1 demo, 1 loaner (yes a loaner MDX) and 1 in the showroom. They're still asking 2K over MSRP and some forced options. Some good people in the service department, didn't care that I did not buy my GG Tour/Nav from them (Beaudry in Tucson AZ, 3 week wait;)). Even replaced the fender flares that I had bought from Tim (they were cosmeticaly challenged - no fault of Tim) under warranty with no hassle.
'$2000.00 OVER MSRP! & FORCED OPTIONS!
THATS WHY THERE STILL THERE!!!!!!!!
AND I HOPE THEY STAY THERE!!!!!! 4-EVER!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought one from Mike Harvey

Running out of patience. I paid 500 over MSRP. Bought an extra running board for 999. Drove back yesterday an cancel from waiting list(already 4 month). Love it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow! I'm surprised Mike Harvey Acura are willing to settle for MSRP + $500 + $1K accessories. The last time I talked to their sales (mid-Dec 2000), he mentioned the $2K mark-up is negotiable depending on total $$ on accessories I'm getting, and I have to get at least $2K of accessories to be able to negotiate on the mark-up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe the supply is catching up to demand here in the bay area. Or there may be people like me. I had 3 orders with Solano, Concord, and Oakland. All wanted varying amounts over MSRP (after forced accessories). I finally got mine from an out-of-state lease broker after getting fed up with the wait and had it shipped right to my front door! I cancelled all three orders, so maybe that's why there are MDXs sitting in the lots now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts