Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
i'm aware of the olden days of 'severe' use, or 'city driving v. highway driving'. but remember, the s2000 has a red line of 8900rpm, and i'm sure 99% of the s2000 owners see the tach rise to the limit after the breakin 600mi. but still, honda recommends the 1st oil change at 7500mi...regardless of the climate or driving style.

like i said before, doesn't that mean something? my S2K has been my daily driver lately, and i regularly see 7k-8k rpm everyday--and i did my first oil change at 7600mi. no harm to my little engine. and i've currently got 17.5k miles on her, and 4500mi on the MDX. so, i definitely don't 'baby' any of my cars. they were meant for driving HARD.

still waiting for the 1st oil change....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If Honda Engineers says 7500....

Thanks all!
Doom: I think what your saying make sense that on severe conditions do it at 3750 and on normal conditions(specially here in California) 7500 should be it.
s2k00L: I totally agree, I will trust what the Honda engineers recommend (7500), afterall they've tested and engineered this car for about 4 yrs and they know what's the appropriate maintenance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just go by the owners manual. Don't listen to every mechanic that is named Joe or Charlie or whatever. Everbody has there own opinion about when the oil should be changed in cars. I say that if you drive in the "servere" conditions that you changed the oil at 3750 miles or whatever it says in the manual. If you drive under noraml conditions then just changed the oil at 7500 miles or whatever number the manual states. Always read your owners manual, there is a welth of information in there about your MDX and all of its controls, functions, maintenance etc.

Also about using synthetic oil in your MDX, it should be ok. Also another thing that I can't stress enough is the use of Honda oil filters and other fluids. Honda oil filters have special features built in that are designed fit your MDX perfectly, filter out the bad stuff and help prevent damage that can occur in some situations. One such feature is the "emergency open valve" this feature lets out oil into the engine if by any chance the main hole is blocked, with out this feature your enigne can become completly toast because you are simply running an engine with no oil period, say good bye to that wonderful MDX engine.

Also about Honda fluids, use them. They too have special additives for the Honda parts and they really don't cost much more, its like a chump change to me. Another thing that I wouldn't do is take my MDX to those quicky lube places, those places always mess things up because they have some 15 year old kid thats getting paid like 4 bucks an hour who really doesn't give a damm about you or your car and they never do things properly like put oil around the filter to give a better seal and other things.

Well thats all I have to say about that.

Thanks
Evan

·
Registered
29 Posts
colj : Of course you don't wear a hat, you're a Junior member ;-)))

Sorry if I offend anyone with my comments. Take it with a bit of humour and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Oil Changes -- When???

After reading this thread, checked with dealer [service manager] and a mechanic that I have grown to trust. Both gave same answers [independantly]:

(1) Both said don't change oil 1st time UNTIL recommended interval [it is break-in oil, that is why Acura said NOT to change early].

(2) Dealer inquired if I had leased or owned!! If leased, then oil change at 7,500 is fine [maintains warranty, wear and tear not an issue at 50,000]. If owned and planned to keep suggested changing oil "more frequently" than 7,500 [or use synthetic].

(3) Mechanic knows I keep cars [had 150K on last Honda that just sold] and knows that I am big on maintenance. Said 3,000 - 3,500 for oil change is good or longer for synthetic.

Question: Does anyone out there have a definitive reading on how many miles synthetic is good for? I want to be conservative [better safe than sorry]. I have done multiple web searches but I CAN NOT FIND anything that indicates the useful life of synthetic oils!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
>>Question: Does anyone out there have a definitive reading on how many miles synthetic is good for? I want to be conservative [better safe than sorry]. I have done multiple web searches but I CAN NOT FIND anything that indicates the useful life of synthetic oils!!<<

You'll find as many opinions on durability of synthetic oil as you will find on regular oil. I'll change at 3750 (New England, short trips) but would increase the interval to 7500 if I go synthetic.

I'm not sure I'd go to 15,000 miles with synthetic, as sometimes the filter can deteriorate before then. Not sure if this would be the case with the Acura MDX filter, but I wouoldn't stretch it that far anyways.

·
Registered
35 Posts
srpbep : Go to the Mobil one site, they state plainly that you should stay with the manufactor's recommended oil change intervals, with any type of oil. The 2002 MDX recommends that you use 5w20. No one makes a5w20 in a synthetic oil "yet", I contacted the ACURA tech line and was told that it was OK to use 5w30 . The reason for the 5w20 was to improve the gas mileage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Y'all:

May I quote the Owner's Manual for the Severe Schedule {which calls for oil and filter change every 3750 miles}, Page 255 ('01) [the '02 is similar, if not exactly the same]:

"Use this schedule if your vehicle is MAINLY driven in any of the following Severe Conditions, or normally driven in Canada; otherwise use the Normal Schedule. Service at the indicated distance or time, whichever comes first. Do the items in A, B, C, D as required for each distance/time:
Severe Conditions:
-Driving less than 5 miles (8km) per trip or, in freezing temperatures, driving less than 10 miles (16 km) per trip.
-Driving in extremely hot (over 90F/32C) conditions.
-Extensive idling or long periods of stop-and-go driving.
-Trailer towing, driving with a roof rack, or driving in mountainous conditions.
-Driving on muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads."

That's pretty clear to me. Since my driving is MAINLY less than 5 miles per trip, and OFTEN in over 90F temperatures, I choose to use the Severe Conditions schedule. I also choose to use it because I believe that an engine will last longer with frequent oil/filter changes than with less-frequent changes. Since I tend to keep cars for at least 8 years, that's VERY inexpensive insurance!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Synthetic Motor Oil

To those interested, the Mobile One web site suggested by Jazz is "www.mobile1.com" [thanks Jazz]. Unfortunately, the site appears to be down at the moment, so I can't comment on what is out there.

I did find a Synthetic 5w20 oil, the company is "Amsoil" [www.amsoil.com] and the product is "XL-7500 Synthetic 5W-20 Motor Oil" which is labeled as "new".

Does anyone know anything about Amsoil [e.g. history, reputation, quality, etc.], I have never heard of them. The oil is $5.20/qt. [$61.20 per case] plus shipping [$9.00/case UPS]. They say that it is good for 7,500 or 6 months. If I were to use conventional oil, I would change at 3,500. Extending the oil change to 7,500 would make sense to me = effective cost very similar but would only have to address every 6 months vs. every 3 months.

I have never used synthetics, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience and/or knowledge on the topic [e.g. pros, cons, yada yada yada].

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've heard of Amsoil - they are top shelf. I've seen them referenced in extensive articles regarding synthetic oils, and they were rated in the highest category, ahead of Mobil 1. I wouldn't hesitate in using the brand.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Markedoc -- Information on Synthetic Oil

Thanks for the info on Amsoil, if I use synthetics, the X deserves top shelf.

You indicated that you have read articles on synthetics, love to hear your comments [pros, cons, caveats, ....].

Will you use synthetic oil in your MDX? Since it is only days old, I doubt you have changed oil yet!! You're gonna luv it.

If you are going to use synthetic, will you let it go 7,500? If you are not going to run synthetic, why not?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
3000 miles oil and filter

It's your choice remember how much you spent and let that help make your decision!!!!!
Every 3000 miles oil and filter or every 3-4 months is $24.95 too much if it is I think you bought the wrong vehicle and should of bought the saturn!!!!:D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Whatever you want?

My dealer said 'Not until 7500', that it was recommended for break-in. The manual says 3750 for severe conditions, but doesn't define severe conditions. So, I think we have some latitude here. My guess is no harm done for changing early (3750 or more).

I have always religiously changed oil every 3000 miles, using the cheap oil ($15.99 at Walmart), and never had any problems (multiple cars with well over 100K).

Based on the manual I've decided on the following for my X.

- Change it every 5000 miles (it's easy to keep track!)
- Use either synthetic or mid-grade oils

:cool: No worries!

What about Slick 50?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yep, I, too, have this pang of guilt around 3500 miles or so. Do I change the oil or don't I? Was I driving in severe conditions or wasn't I? Maybe a few more miles, huh? huh?

Well, I always check the oil and wipe my dipstick on a clean white towel. And I always say the same thing to myself...."Yuck. No way I am driving around with THAT stuff sloshing around in my engine. I better change the oil."

Dunno whether it is right or wrong, but until my oil looks like it just came out of a can at 3500 miles, I will always probably keep on changing it.....I just can't help myself.:D

21 - 35 of 35 Posts