Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is very happy with the 2012 MDX we recently bought. It only had 5,500 miles (the result of a deceased leasee and some kind of estate issue). It's a great improvement over the 2001 we had for 14 years.

But WTF... After driving it a few times, I have to say I'm disappointed in the level of technology displayed by this "Technology" edition MDX.

Comparing it to my 2005 LS430. Year to year wold not be fair, but this is 7 years newer than the Lexus.

No rain sensing wipers

No auto up auto down on all 4 windows...annoying.

Doors don't unlock when I open them. I have to unlock the door first.

DVD-Audio only! player. Really? Was it so hard to put in a universal SACD-DVD-A player? That way I can have at least two ultra niche formats. the rest of the system is actually a vast improvement over the stock 2001 system, so it's nice to see they paid attention but still.. and the sub is boomy on regular redbook CDs for some reason.

There's a few more niggles but I don't spend a lot of time driving it and I don't remember them right now but...is it just me?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
It is a trade off for the $$$. You can't take 7 passengers, tow 5000 lbs, add a cargo carrier, or be all weather capable in the LS430. I set my M.I.D. to unlock all 4 doors when I open with the fob. Other than a drive thru window, I don't open any windows on my MDX. I MDX does have speed adjust wipers instead of rain sensing. I can't seem to find more than 2-3 DVD-A disks anywhere worth purchasing at an extremely high prices. The USB connection has pretty good sound compared to XM or streaming bluetooth. Not sure if DVD-A is worth it since we have so much road noise anyways at 70-80 mph.:(

I don't think +14 MDX isn't too far off from the +10 MDX on Acura's theme of SUV luxury (more emphasis on safety and mpgs).

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the hard drive also does a decent job of maintaining SQ, but I haven't tried FLAC files in it yet. I hope that makes a difference over the fairly "meh" redbook sound. I just got all 4 Peter Gabriel reissues on vinyl and each album has a coupon for a hi-rez download of the FLACS (I think). So I'll know soon enough.

I know they are nitpicks but I sometimes wonder what they are thinking.

OH! Now I remember the biggest nit. They STILL haven't fixed the side-seat black hole. The LS-430 has a thin felt pad that fills the gap between the center console and the seat. It catches 95% of all phones, pens and change that should happen to slip out of my hand. Last week, I dropped a pen only to see it once again disappear into the black hole...wait, Am I back in 2001? Did I just get out of a DeLorean? NO! It's the freaking 2012 MDX THAT STILL HASN'T FIXED THE FREAKING BLACK HOLE.....

How about you third gen guys? Still having to carry a wire coat hanger in your luxury SUV?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I ended up getting the Drop Stop from Amazon for about $20:

It really works, slides up/back with seat, don't even notice its there, and stays in place. It has saved me with change, snacks, and cell phone drops. I ended up get some for my in-laws, RDX and TSX.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty cool! I will probably end up getting that. But you can already hear me grumbling as I pay for something that should already be there right? :)

I would gladly pay the $5 it will add to the bottom line price of the car and avoid the hassle of buying and installing... (yes, I'm just complaining to complain now...lol)

Took another look at your rims there gold.... so sweeeet!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
You can adjust how the locks and wipers work in the MID. They're still not rain sensing but you can control some speed related items. I don't use that feature in my other cars but I was surprised the MDX didn't have it. Honda/Acura is always a little behind on the feature content. They still treat auto headlamps as an upgraded feature.

I have no clue about anything with discs...they've been stored in the attic for years. The sub has a separate setting in the audio controls though you could try adjusting.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Another minor pet peeve for me is there is no change holder for the MDX (or I just haven't found it yet). I found one that can hold pennies (a little under $16 in change overall). Just leave it in the arm rest until needed.

Again, Amazon to the rescue:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can adjust how the locks and wipers work in the MID. They're still not rain sensing but you can control some speed related items. I don't use that feature in my other cars but I was surprised the MDX didn't have it. Honda/Acura is always a little behind on the feature content. They still treat auto headlamps as an upgraded feature.

I have no clue about anything with discs...they've been stored in the attic for years. The sub has a separate setting in the audio controls though you could try adjusting.
I always thought the whole rain sensing thing was a kind of silly tech feature to "keep up with the Joneses" (Mercedes) but I live in Miami and it's like the Tivo of wipers... you have no idea how you lived without it.. lol. That and radar cruise.

Yes I have noticed that Toyota has a propensity to go cutting edge more than Honda. That's actually a double edged sword if you keep your cars a long time like I do. The Lexus is ALWAYS complaining about this or that sensor.

If you don't want those discs I'll buy them! CDs are the vinyl of the 21st century. In the 1990s I bought thousands of vinyl records at pennies a pound. Now it's CDs that are being dumped in the thrifts at a wonderful rate. I walk in and offer 50 bucks for the whole book case. Sometimes it works. Then I cull and return 80% to the same thrift.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This ain't no BMW.;)

IMO Acura put all the money in the right places while choosing to omit some of those features. I'd rather drive an Acura over a Lexus any day.

If you still wanna cry about it, I'll gladly take it off your hands.:)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This ain't no BMW.;)

IMO Acura put all the money in the right places while choosing to omit some of those features. I'd rather drive an Acura over a Lexus any day.

If you still wanna cry about it, I'll gladly take it off your hands.:)
Well heck... if it was mine, I'd sell it in two shakes for a 9 passenger mid-70's station wagon, trick out the wagon (extra wood paneling) and put 15K in the bank. Remember...only 5 thousand miles on it! Well, 8k now... she's driving the ridiculously expensive 20 inch tires off it. :)

But it's my wife's and you'll get it when you pry it out of her cold, dead hands. lol She loves that thing. If I'm frank, I like the way it looks almost better than the third gen. But the third gen's interior is very nice.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It took me about 5 years before I realized that on the intermittent setting when I stop the wipers stop as well :D.

Concerning the seat gap yes it's funny. When I was cleaning out my vehicle I found a USB flash drive that I thought was lost 2 years ago and a Target receipt from a year ago that I thought had flown out the window :p.

·
Registered
84 Posts
it took me about 5 years before i realized that on the intermittent setting when i stop the wipers stop as well :d.

Concerning the seat gap yes it's funny. When i was cleaning out my vehicle i found a usb flash drive that i thought was lost 2 years ago and a target receipt from a year ago that i thought had flown out the window :p.
:19::19::19:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I keep comparing Acura to Apple.
Acura, just like Apple is always late to the party with old tech, but when they do add it, it is well polished and enjoyed. It is not a race to them.

After-all this is an Automobile. I rather safety over convenience and pleasure.

Most of all is the lower price compared to the others. You pay more for more.

My 2004 MDX had rain sensing wipers...I miss it, but I got over it a long time ago. Satisfied with what settings are available in the MID.

I am satisfied with only the front windows being auto up/down....probably a safety feature for not having the rears auto up/down, is because of younger children in the rear seats, and also prevent them from playing with the window continuously.

I set my key fob to open all doors with 1 press to unlock.

I'm glad that I am not that picky when it comes to music audio....CD's and MP3 digital files suit my needs....I just need to hear it.
Plus space/capacity was an issue to me, mp3 files are smaller and I get to fit more.

And your biggest problem with the MDX is stuff falling in between the seat....That's not an MDX problem, but simply yours.

Carry on.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I'm glad Acura has the powertrain stuff figured out (except the battery in some cases). I can do without auto wipers; but, not the powertrain everyday. Almost 70,000 miles and it has only been oil and filter changes. Gain in some areas, lacking in others; but, we still come out ahead with the MDX.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts